Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn Water Level

Posted By: nb_one

Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/25/20 11:17 AM

Anybody got an idea why Rayburn is lower (-3.75), now than the last 3 years? Two hurricanes and plenty of rain. They must have been releasing tons of water.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/25/20 03:42 PM

Actually we didnt get hardly any rain its been a fairly dry year. Far as releasing water just normal generation without any rain
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/25/20 11:30 PM

Hardly any rain in the watershed. It can rain 12" on the lake and it won't come up much. It has to be up the angelina, attoyac, and ayish
Posted By: mudd

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/26/20 12:11 AM

Rona took the water
Posted By: nb_one

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/26/20 12:12 AM

Thanks. I noticed driving across the Angelina on 103 this afternoon. It looks pretty dismal. I'll have to chose a ramp, wisely.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/26/20 03:36 AM

I drive over the Angelina River North of the lake twice a day and it is low right now and has been.

During both of those hurricanes we got less than 1 inch of rain total from both of them in Lufkin and Nacogdoches.

We haven't had any significant rainfall in a long while...but it is supposed to rain 3 or 4 days this week.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/26/20 04:33 PM

I heard they let some out before laura but that's just hearsay. Now is the worst time for the lake to rise because with it cooling off if it rises over a foot it will kill all the grass. Granted I like the high water but flipping big jigs in grass is fun
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/26/20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by lamoon78
Actually we didnt get hardly any rain its been a fairly dry year. Far as releasing water just normal generation without any rain

Actually, If you "didn't get" hardly any rain, that means you DID get rain. You've got a form of the double-negative effect going I think. "We hardly got any rain" or "We didn't get any rain" might be more accurate?

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/27/20 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by the skipper
I heard they let some out before laura but that's just hearsay. Now is the worst time for the lake to rise because with it cooling off if it rises over a foot it will kill all the grass. Granted I like the high water but flipping big jigs in grass is fun

It seems to me that they have been letting more out this year, generating power, than they did last year. hmmm
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/27/20 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by the skipper

It seems to me that they have been letting more out this year, generating power, than they did last year. hmmm

They're doing that on Texoma, too... Trying to compensate for the lost generation of closing all the coal and natural gas plants, I bet!
Posted By: Rayburnrun

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/27/20 02:39 AM

They had to generate more power because of all the damage Laura done to the power grid in La.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/27/20 02:40 AM

Y'all should bookmark this: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08039300

Since March 01:

[Linked Image]

This all seems pretty average to me.

Re: Sam Rayburn Water Level - 10/27/20 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Rayburnrun
They had to generate more power because of all the damage Laura done to the power grid in La.

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum