Texas Fishing Forum

Braid to Floro Leader

Posted By: NateRich5797

Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 04:58 PM

I think I've narrowed it down to the Alberto Knot and/or the J Knot. With so many different types of knots to choose from, which one do you use and why?

I'll be going 30 lb braid to a 10 lb floro line, if it makes any difference.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 05:17 PM

Alberto. It’s not the easiest to tie, but it is skinny and VERY strong.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

To get the best alberto, at the very end pass the line around and through two more times to lock it down. This way you lock the knot and can cut the tag ends right up to the knot. I still put a dab of superglue on there after cinching it down then rub it into the knot out of habit.

Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

I guess I suck at all line to line knots. No matter which one I tie I can hear it pass through every guide. Just can't seem to get it small enough. I can't stand it so I'm back to just using straight flouro again. My knot skills are very low I guess.
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 05:51 PM

Crazy Alberto, 6 Up, 4 Down. Careful to not overlap when clinching. You will hear it and all other connecting knots. Eventually an eye will pop out of the tip. Especially if its a Dobyns rod. Its a pain, but you will get more bites economically.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 05:53 PM

I quit using leaders all together. One less knot to worry about.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 06:19 PM

Any time I'm tying line to line, I always use the double uni-knot. I use this for all my backing line. I don't use a leader line except for C-rig and it's got a barrel swivel between the lines.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 09:06 PM

I use the fg knot with rizzuto finish for braid to fluoro. It's the thinnest, strongest knot I've found but it's a massive pita to tie. The double-uni does a fine job most of the time if you're not dealing with small or micro line guides.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 09:11 PM

Alberto, I used to tie the FG, but it doesn't work well on smaller diameters and some braid to flouro combo's. Also a pain to tie, so I've migrated over to the Alberto and never looked back.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 09:45 PM

I also use the Alberto knot when I use braid to a leader. It is easy to tie and has never failed me.
Posted By: mossyback75

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 09:50 PM

I have battled this issue for years and have found the best of all the knots for this purpose is the blood knot. Many may disagree and that is fine. It isn't the thinnest knot but I have found it to be the strongest and most reliable.

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:05 PM

Thanks everybody for the replies! I'm going to try out the Alberto for the time being. I'll also be looping it around 2 additional times at the end. Thank you CCTX for that tip/pointer!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:21 PM

Double uni and only on spinning set ups as I always use braid main line on spinning reels. Usually an 8 or 10 lb floro leader.
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:24 PM

Yes, Alberto and it is not easy to tie for someone as uncoordinated as me. In a way it's kind of like a square know with a bunch of wraps in between. But it is the best!
Posted By: leebayou

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:32 PM

"J" knot: for several reasons
1) easy and quick to tie
2) very strong knot have never broken off a fish due to knot failure even in salt water with bull reds
3) very small knot though not as small as the FG knot
4) !!!-- the tag end of the Flouro or mono points toward the reel (the braid tag end hits the guides first), thus the knot does not hit or hang up on the guides while casting--!!!
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:41 PM

Always use an Alberto knot but have been trying out a GT Knot. Jury still out. Change is hard.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Always use an Alberto knot but have been trying out a GT Knot. Jury still out. Change is hard.

Yep...it’s hard to fix what ain’t broke.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 11:25 PM

Alberto knot!!
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/21/20 11:56 PM

I use the alberto knot.. its really not that hard to tie. I just recently discovered the Berkley X5 braid, what really nice line. I saw Justin Lucas bragging on is and gave a it a try. Highly recommended.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 01:19 AM

Tie this knot in 20 seconds or less. It has never failed me in many years of use and was recommended by some Tarpon buddies in Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDxGy3Nld2g
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 02:12 AM

Uni to uni for me.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 03:08 AM

I use double uni for floro to braid. Hasn't failed me yet and easy to tie.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big Swimbait
Tie this knot in 20 seconds or less. It has never failed me in many years of use and was recommended by some Tarpon buddies in Florida.

I have been using the Lefty Kreh knot shown in the video for the last 2 years. Easy to tie. Very reliable. No need for super glue.

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by PowerLizard

I have been using the Lefty Kreh knot shown in the video for the last 2 years. Easy to tie. Very reliable. No need for super glue.

That Lefty Kreh knot does look simple and effective!
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 05:04 PM

Thank you for posting that . I have never tried that knot and with my age related vision difficulties it looks really user friendly .
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 07:43 PM

The Lefty Kreh knot is about all I can manage with old fingers, that & a Palomar is all I use.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 10/22/20 07:54 PM

people always want to argue about the knots to use I have used the FG for a bunch of trips with a 3ft leader so it always gets cast through the guides and never had a single issue has never broken or anthing like that. been using the FG for about 8 years never lost a fish because of a broken knot. 15lb to 10lb or 10lb to 8lb all work well with the FG knot.
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: Braid to Floro Leader - 12/11/20 02:34 PM

Commenting so I can some back and try a couple of these.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum