Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Boat /Salt Water ??

Posted By: jbassman

Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 01:21 PM

Has anyone taken their Bass Boat down to Venice La and fished this area red fish? I just got back from Venice and saw several Bas Boats running around.

If you have, what do i need to do to my boat and trailer after the trip? Sho 250
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 02:44 PM

The boat will be fine. Wiring and trailer not so much. Personally I wouldn't do it unless your trailer is galvanized and wiring is built to handle the salt corrosion
Posted By: jbassman

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 02:51 PM

2017 BASSCAT PUMA
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 03:09 PM

Yeah, I've thought about taking mine down there, but I'm worried about the trailer. That is actually brackish water around Venice, not pure salt, so you might get away with it. If I did it, I'd hose my boat and trailer down EVERY day when I came off the water. Then on the way home, I'd stop at a freshwater lake, launch and run around for awhile. Make sure to run all of the pumps and I'd dump some water into the bilge and run those pumps. Then I'd hit a car wash and hose the entire rig down from top to bottom a couple of times.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 03:16 PM

I would hire a guide.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 03:36 PM

Like said above the boat structure will be fine. However saltwater is really tough on carpet and your trolling motor is likely not rated for saltwater either. I can tell you with certainty that the ultrex does not last long after use in saltwater. None of the black Minn kota motors are saltwater rated. Not sure about the other brands. If you don't have an aluminum or galvanized trailer don't even consider it. That saltwater will eat it up within a few years. Most of these bass boat trailers are borderline trash anyway. Saltwater does them in very quickly. I have seen a few of the rigs that were used in the Bassmaster events on the Sabine a few years back. Some of those guys were launching in the bay in practice instead of making long runs. Those trailers are trash now. With all that said, at times Venice can be near 100% freshwater in places. Usually that happens in the spring though. With all the hurricanes and rain this year I have no idea how the water down there is right now. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance with my trailer.
Posted By: RAY BOBBER

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 04:43 PM

just splash it in a freshwater lake on your way home
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 05:13 PM

We have done it before. I would not leave it in the water overnight. I flushed the motor daily and washed off the whole boat and trailer daily. no issues.
But a guide is your safest bet.
Posted By: redhornet

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 06:28 PM

I have done it many Many times with no issues. after researching it I found that the boat and motor would be fine if you did not leave them in saltwater. to do that you need a cadmium plated water pump and a different sacrificial anode on the bottom. just pull your trailer in and out at the boat ramp in fresh water several times while allowing the motor to run. wash you boat and trailer after every trip very well. DO NOT PUT your ultrex down in it though buy you a cheap older saltwater model and put it on for the trip It only takes a couple of minutes. I have fished venice with and without a guide and you absolutely do not need one. just fish where the tiny canals flow from one pond to the next with some shrimp and you will catch tons. I have a 2019 zx250 and have done it with everything from a 2006 21I vmax 250 to this current boat. yes if you don't wash it or rinse the trailer it will rust but its pretty easy to wash it.
Posted By: BillyVanWard

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RAY BOBBER
just splash it in a freshwater lake on your way home

I wouldn't dream of doing that with a Puma, but if your must, listen to Mr. Bobber - a dunk can do what a car wash can't.

My vote, though, is don't do it. I've painstakingly wired and sealed many trailer light systems to withstand the salt and bass boat trailers up to the task seem to be the exception. Coastal corrosion is almost magical in its ability to get to stuff and mess it up.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/21/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
I would hire a guide.

+1
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/22/20 06:37 PM

do it
when get home, sell it fast.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/23/20 12:33 AM

My 2001 Triton was promoted as being a "crossover" boat. Why (other than just dollars) Triton put a freshwater Mercury and Motorguide is just ridiculous. I switched the TM to a Great White after I got the boat. Every TM repair guy I have ever talked to says that there is definitely a difference between the black and the white TM's. I did not spend the money to swap out the fresh water Merc to a salt water model. I rinse the engine with Salt-Away every time I even suspect brackish or salt water. The trailer is galvanized and I rinse it after every brackish/salt water trip.

The biggest problem I have with taking my bass boat into salt water is the larger waves that can occur out there. You really have to watch those bigger boats and ships.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/23/20 01:02 AM

I have fished Sabine Lake a couple of times in my old Ranger and I put in the Neches R. many times just 4-5 miles up from the lake but ran north toward and past Beaumont. No issues with the boat or motor ever ... had to rework the Ranger Trailer a couple of years later. Salt water eats most trailers except galvanized or aluminum. All the hardware has to be resistant also. Think this ... carpeted bunks soaked in saltwater, boat loaded on carpeted bunks. all the hardware on the trailer stays soaked in the saltwater. Even high pressure water doesn't get it all. As said always flush the motor well.

Boat and motor will be OK ... trailer prolly not long term.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/23/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by meP2too
do it
when get home, sell it fast.

+1
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/23/20 03:59 PM

This thread is yet another example of why buying used bass boats is a really scary thing to do.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/24/20 05:19 PM

I wouldn't do it... The salt will get in every nook and cranny. Just hire a guide and enjoy the experience... Dan
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 02:36 AM

I’ve always wondered about this
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
Originally Posted by 4Weight
I would hire a guide.

+1

This!
Posted By: GuyR

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 02:47 PM

It’s a boat just like any other it’ll be fine. The belief that saltwater will somehow destroy a bass boat amazes me...
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 06:12 PM

You'd be a moron to do that with that nice of a boat. Take it from me, I have my experience with bass boat trailers/bass boat wiring in saltwater and brackish. You DO NOT want to do it
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
You'd be a moron to do that with that nice of a boat. Take it from me, I have my experience with bass boat trailers/bass boat wiring in saltwater and brackish. You DO NOT want to do it

Especially if it is a tube frame trailer ugh

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 07:26 PM

Someone, please, explain how a modern bass boat is different from a bay boat.. hmmm
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 07:37 PM

Bay boat has stainless and galvanized hardware, bass boat does not. Saltwater boats electrical wiring is different to hand more corrosive environment too.

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 07:38 PM

Like the other have said if you do it sell it fast afterwards eeks

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
Bay boat has stainless and galvanized hardware, bass boat does not. Saltwater boats electrical wiring is different to hand more corrosive environment too.

Not accurate all “high end” boats have the same hardware and wiring. Actually what would be different in the wiring.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/25/20 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by GuyR
Originally Posted by SC-001

Not accurate all “high end” boats have the same hardware and wiring. Actually what would be different in the wiring.

Saltwater boats use tinned copper wire to prevent corrosion. Not all bass boats use it
Posted By: Rog

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/26/20 01:58 AM

I had a 30 year old Skeeter I took out in Galveston bay (full salt) 25 years ago. Never had any issues and had same TI trailer in excellent condition when I sold it this year. Just wash everything throughly and flush engine with fresh water. A few times isn’t going to hurt it. By the way Texoma and some lakes like Fairfield are fairly brackish thus their ability to support red fish and spawning stripers. If you fish those two lakes you are probably comparable to the back waters in LA that support both bass and reds.......

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/26/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by GuyR

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Saltwater boats use tinned copper wire to prevent corrosion. Not all bass boats use it

smirk
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bass Boat /Salt Water ?? - 10/26/20 03:43 AM

I agree with the typical bass boats trailer not being suitable for salt water but for those thinking you have to have a “special” motor for salt water need to let all the saltwater guys in on that secret! [Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum