Texas Fishing Forum

For you Aluminum boat guys....

Posted By: FishFinder Frank

For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/20/20 05:45 PM

I'm one of those guys that likes aluminum boats and thought this one was pretty cool so I'd thought I'd share it for the peeps that haven't seen this boat. Looks to be up there with Vexus , Avid and Xpress. Manufactures are stepping up their aluminum game and I for one am liking it. thumb

https://excelboats.com/Bass.html
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/20/20 06:08 PM

Really nice but to be honest .0125 is too thin for me. Whenever I do a new hull for myself it will be .0175
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/20/20 07:37 PM

I don't know about the boat itself, but the other brands could dang sure learn a lot from their website. Very, very informative and easy to navigate.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/20/20 07:48 PM

lost me at baystar steering, fine for less than 150 but not on a performance hull and they say it is a pad hull.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/20/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Really nice but to be honest .0125 is too thin for me. Whenever I do a new hull for myself it will be .0175

Surely you meant .125. I've got trashbags thicker than .0125.
Posted By: Texas_fishin2010

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B

I was just about to say the same thing... definitely a typo.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 11:43 AM

Has to be .125.. But a really nice looking rig! well thought out.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 11:44 AM

1/8” (.125”) is a pretty robust hull for a bass boat. The only boats I’ve built thicker are typically duck boats or bowfishing rigs. Those guys ask for 3/16” (.1875”) floor but still go 1/8” sides....
Worry about thickness. But pay more attention to stringers and how everything is braced IMO.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 12:17 PM

Nice looking rig. Also nice to see a manufacturer bringing a reasonably priced rig to the market.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ToasterWEyes
1/8” (.125”) is a pretty robust hull for a bass boat. The only boats I’ve built thicker are typically duck boats or bowfishing rigs. Those guys ask for 3/16” (.1875”) floor but still go 1/8” sides....
Worry about thickness. But pay more attention to stringers and how everything is braced IMO.

thumbYUP!!
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B

I do mean .175 , just had my decimal point wrong
Posted By: BillyVanWard

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/21/20 07:44 PM

I fish out of 1957 vintage aluminum now and will upgrade soon and stick with metal (with an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene UHMW bottom). After much study, there is only one way I'm willing to go:

I like fishing the Brazos under PK, the Ozark smallie and trout rivers and streams, and make it to NE and PNW a few times a year. There are few things more fun than piloting a fishing boat in places that seem impossible, and the fishing opportunities get downright unreal.

Lookee here:

Uh, YOWZA! One can leave the rods at home and still have a blast. OK, maybe not, but.....dang!
Posted By: FishFinder Frank

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/22/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BillyVanWard
I fish out of 1957 vintage aluminum now and will upgrade soon and stick with metal (with an ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene UHMW bottom). After much study, there is only one way I'm willing to go:

I like fishing the Brazos under PK, the Ozark smallie and trout rivers and streams, and make it to NE and PNW a few times a year. There are few things more fun than piloting a fishing boat in places that seem impossible, and the fishing opportunities get downright unreal.

Lookee here:

Uh, YOWZA! One can leave the rods at home and still have a blast. OK, maybe not, but.....dang!

That's Bad A**!! Says base price of 27k for one of those. They look like they'd be fun to drive.
Posted By: dnuggett

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/24/20 04:50 AM

That looks like a great river boat!
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: For you Aluminum boat guys.... - 10/24/20 02:33 PM

TIn boats to me are tougher than fiberglass boats. I bought a Tracker TX-17 brand new back in the 90's and it lived on Fork most of the time I owned it. I beat the mess out of that boat and drove it pretty much anywhere I wanted to go on Fork with little regard to what I was going to hit with it and it never showed any sign of letting up, It had one dent in the bottom of the hull when I sold it and that was from coming off a 3 foot roller and being slammed into a stump I was trying to miss, but it still didn't bend it bad enough to be very noticeable. I could have made Johnny Morris a commercial with that boat. He would have been proud. Another thing with that boat is it drafted shallow and wasn't like a neon sign on the water so it had more stealth. I owned a Nitro and two Rangers and caught more fish and won more money out of that boat than all the other three combined and I only owned it two years. The other three probably a ten year run total.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum