Texas Fishing Forum

BASS Texas Fest judges question

Posted By: ETxRT

BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/18/20 08:21 PM

Before Covid changed everything and postponed the Texas Fest on Fork I was given a name and number of the person to contact to be a judge (or whatever it is they’re called) for the Elite Texas Fest on Fork back in the Spring. I called and left my name and number on the voice mail of the phone number. I was never contacted. With the Texas Fest rescheduled and a few weeks away has anyone signed up and gotten confirmation that they will be a judge?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/18/20 09:30 PM

tim@cookssharpening.com

Email Tim. He is the judges coordinator

I've done it a few times and would this time but its opening of rifle season so yeah ill be in the woods.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/18/20 10:29 PM

They haven't been using Marshals, I doubt if they will at Fork either.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/18/20 11:16 PM

If they use the previous BASS Fest catch, weigh, release format (MLF style) then they will need a second person in the boat.
Posted By: buda13

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by rj74955

It’s the only way around the slot.... I don’t see them fishing for 1 over and 4 under 16”.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by rj74955

It’s the only way around the slot.... I don’t see them fishing for 1 over and 4 under 16”.

You're right, but it kinda throws what they've been doing out the window. I hope they're weighing slots in the boat.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 12:34 PM

They are using the marshalls/judges. I received thr email a while back with the invite
Posted By: SC-001

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 02:01 PM

I think the had pick judges for this many of them are actually BASS employees, its not the same as signing up to be a Marshall
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 02:19 PM

The Texas Bass Fest has been using Judges and weighing all fish in the boat. Biggest 5 count each day. They did the same thing on Lake Travis and Fork in the past.
This isn't new.I was going to Marshal last time on Fork but couldn't get off work.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 02:42 PM

I’m clearly not in the know, but it’s possible under the new Covid restrictions there will no Marshall’s in the boat and the anglers are just to eyeball the weights and try to recall the best they can the weight of the best 5 at the weigh in stage. Maybe things changed I’m not sure.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 02:48 PM

Its fork they don't bring them to the stage unless its an over, plus Bassfest has always been catch weigh release
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by emorydog
I’m clearly not in the know, but it’s possible under the new Covid restrictions there will no Marshall’s in the boat and the anglers are just to eyeball the weights and try to recall the best they can the weight of the best 5 at the weigh in stage. Maybe things changed I’m not sure.

Hell, with those rules, maybe Iaconelli should try to fish it. He would win by 50lbs.
Posted By: ChampionOwner

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ETxRT
Before Covid changed everything and postponed the Texas Fest on Fork I was given a name and number of the person to contact to be a judge (or whatever it is they’re called) for the Elite Texas Fest on Fork back in the Spring. I called and left my name and number on the voice mail of the phone number. I was never contacted. With the Texas Fest rescheduled and a few weeks away has anyone signed up and gotten confirmation that they will be a judge?

I emailed Tim no less than 6 times without a single reply, starting back in January through March. The only replies I got were when I emailed BASS to let them know I am interested in volunteering and cant get a reply from Tim. Lisa with BASS sent an email to Tim and copied me and he finally responded (in April).

When the event got postponed in May I let Tim know via email that I was still interested in volunteering. I havent heard a word back.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/19/20 10:42 PM

I went back and looked. I’ve email him at least 2 times back in February and never received any feedback from Tim. Seems as though BASS might want to look for someone else to take care of what he’s SUPPOSED to be doing. The lack of communication from him was frustrating, but now that it’s during hunting season, I’ll be passing myself. However, depending on where next years Bass Fest is I still might be interested... If Tims going to be running the show the way he has this year, I may just pass altogether.
Posted By: bgmg17

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 01:26 PM

Guys,
I’ve worked with Tim Cook on all but two of the TTBC/Texasfest events and can assure you there no one more qualified to run this event for judges. He’s just like most of us during this time, with more to do and less resources to get it done.
With $100,000 at stake for the winner and all that goes into a BASS event, the process is to use judges from the past events and referrals from people he knows to fill the slots. Nothing against first time judges it’s just better to sign up people you know.
Being there from the start of this format, which was well before MLF, I’m thinking if Tim’s not running it I’ll take that pass.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by bgmg17
Guys,
I’ve worked with Tim Cook on all but two of the TTBC/Texasfest events and can assure you there no one more qualified to run this event for judges. He’s just like most of us during this time, with more to do and less resources to get it done.
With $100,000 at stake for the winner and all that goes into a BASS event, the process is to use judges from the past events and referrals from people he knows to fill the slots. Nothing against first time judges it’s just better to sign up people you know.
Being there from the start of this format, which was well before MLF, I’m thinking if Tim’s not running it I’ll take that pass.

I completely understand this logic and if its accurate, then why not communicate this? Looking at it from my perspective, it seems a cluster with zero communication.

The last reply I got was in April stating "Thank you for reaching out. I have placed you on my prospect list. I will be in touch shortly." And this was after 5 emails went unanswered.
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 05:34 PM

Guys,

I have verified that Tim is still in charge of this. Maybe reach out to him again its been a crazy year.

Debra smile
Posted By: TimCook1970

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 06:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I apologize to anyone who may have reached out to me regarding the Toyota Bassmaster Texas Fest and not heard back. Let me first say that myself, BASS, TPWD, Toyota and all our partners appreciate your interest.
My contact info was shared widely this year and I have received hundreds of emails. While I wish I could make everyone happy with an invitation, the reality is that TBTF judges are all by invitation and I rely on a list of past judges to fill most of the spots. Very few first time judges get the opportunity each year. The accuracy and integrity of the Catch, weigh, and release format is my primary responsibility and experienced, trained, and proven volunteers are essential to the formats success. For the last 14 years, I have recruited, trained, and managed over 600 judges for this event and the TTBC. I am so thankful to have met and worked with so many amazing people, many of which serve year after year. I am appreciative that very few of them would trash me on forums or social media and that some would defend me here.

God Bless
Tim Cook
Posted By: buda13

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 07:11 PM

Thank you Mr. Cook. Appreciate all you do sir!!!
Posted By: Brent S

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 07:19 PM

Looking forward to the event. Hope it runs smoothly for you guys Mr. Cook.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.

For what it’s worth you may have the BASS people state the judges are by invitation only so you don’t get bombarded with emails. I only contacted you because it states to on their website.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/20/20 08:05 PM

I appreciate the email this year like always Tim. If it wasn't opening of rifle season I'd be there but I've got one more buck and one doe tag left to fill.

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/22/20 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by ChampionOwner
Thanks for the reply, it is greatly appreciated.

For what it’s worth you may have the BASS people state the judges are by invitation only so you don’t get bombarded with emails. I only contacted you because it states to on their website.

I agree! A little communication goes a long way... I guess as the saying goes... Better late than never!
Posted By: mudd

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 10/22/20 12:25 PM

Ive emailed in the past and never got a reply so I quit trying
Posted By: Bulletman99

Re: BASS Texas Fest judges question - 11/03/20 02:53 PM

I completely understand this logic and if its accurate, then why not communicate this? Looking at it from my perspective, it seems a cluster with zero communication.

The last reply I got was in April stating "Thank you for reaching out. I have placed you on my prospect list. I will be in touch shortly." And this was after 5 emails went unanswered.[/quote]

I too have worked with Tim for the past several events, and I also know him personally. He gets way over 100 people emailing him asking to be a Judge for this event every year and they are basically placed on a "Prospect" list because the Judges from past events have priority over all others. That being said, because of Covid and the lack of information he gets from BASS he will not respond or email past Judges until he gets final word from BASS on the What/Where/When which I'm sure this year has been especially challenging for him. He is not a BASS employee he has his own business to run and doesn't have time to answer all the emails he gets when he has no answers to give people.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum