Texas Fishing Forum

Who’s the best fisherman?

Posted By: Gruber

Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/16/20 07:57 PM

The one who catches the biggest weight?

Or the one who catches the most fish?

I vote for the latter, before ray scott and his snafu it was always the fisherman who caught the most fish, all the old photos show a large string of bass!

B.A.S.S. Made it weight, or most pounds of fish, don’t know why!
Don’t like any tournaments or competition, fishing is supposed to be an art not science, and fun and enjoyable not work! My opinion! What’s yours?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/16/20 08:30 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/16/20 09:43 PM

You are.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/16/20 09:48 PM

Give that man cupie doll!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/16/20 09:53 PM

Nobody remembers the time they caught 14 one pounders. They remember the 11 pounder they caught on 25 pound test flipping a jig on Toledo Bend.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 12:25 AM

The one that gets the most joy from fishing is the best fisherman. That is assuming that we are not talking about professionals that are judged by the rules of the tournament or the association they compete in.

I get the most joy from a fishing trip when I catch BIG fish. I enjoy every trip on the water. However, MY greatest joy fishing is feeling a BIG 'UN pulling like heck and my heart pumping, watching that BIG 'UN jump and shake it's head, the thrill of getting it in the boat, getting home and my wife asks how It went and getting to show her a picture of a big ol bucket mouth. I don't get that rush from little fish.

My buddy I fish with sometimes likes to say "If I catch another dink I'm gonna take a hammer and beat it's guts out" We get good laugh.

If LM bass never got over 3# I'd be fishing for strippers every trip. My biggest LM is a handful of 8+ over 60 years. I want to catch a DD. I don't get excited about 15 little fish.

Whatever blows your skirt up.

Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 12:28 AM

The biggest weight. Any loser can catch dinks all day.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Geez Steez , I get skunked at RayRob more time than I want to admit. You hurt my feeling right there.
roflmao

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

Geez Steez , I get skunked at RayRob more time than I want to admit. You hurt my feeling right there.
roflmao

Haha. I weighed in one fish for 1.48 last night. It was bad. REAL bad.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 12:50 AM

Are you a yankee Gruber?

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 01:24 AM

A yank? No okie, but grew up in Dallas fished all over Texas every lake and method you can imagine, spoiled on farm ponds, and small lakes, caught plenty and Of big bass Feels like dragging a log that the boat signals prefer light line small lures and lots of fish
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Nobody remembers the time they caught 14 one pounders. They remember the 11 pounder they caught on 25 pound test flipping a jig on Toledo Bend.

#truth
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 04:14 AM

Are these post for real or are you just trying to boost your post count? We all know where you stand. Every post is about your love of light line and catching a lot of small fish. Why ask the question because you won't agree with an answer unless it matches yours? Numbers only matter when fishing has been tough and they don't want to bite. If they are biting then I would rather catch fewer large ones. I have been on the lake when sand bass are schooling and it was fun for a while. I stopped counting at 50 in the first hour and moved on and left them for something more challenging.

I would rather go out and fish with my "rope" as you call it and be challenged to figuring it out than to go out throwing the same light line and tiny lures just because I know I am going to catch a lot. If I did that kind of fishing (light line at known fishing spots) then I really would have no incentive to get up and drive to the lake for a sure thing. Switching to light line fishing methods and small lures would only be my last resort if the other wasn't working and I wanted to at least boat a couple fish so I wouldn't blank for the day.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 04:14 AM

Big O you are not! popcorn2
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 11:05 AM

If LM bass never got over 3# I'd be fishing for strippers every trip.

hmmm
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 11:55 AM

Dear Santa,

Please make Gruber go away to some other website.

Thank you, that is all.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 01:52 PM

How is it challenging to catch big bass on frogs In pads in summer? Why so critical? Everyone has preferences! More power to ya!
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

He would be the anti Big O.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:07 PM

Best fisherman is a senseless topic. That is purely subjective.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:09 PM

https://youtu.be/-B8kv_HNhxE You think I’m crazy, so be it, but a lot of anglers are dumping their heavy tackle for light!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:10 PM

The one that gets the most joy from fishing is the best fisherman. That is assuming that we are not talking about professionals that are judged by the rules of the tournament or the association they compete in.

I get the most joy from a fishing trip when I catch BIG fish. I enjoy every trip on the water. However, MY greatest joy fishing is feeling a BIG 'UN pulling like heck and my heart pumping, watching that BIG 'UN jump and shake it's head, the thrill of getting it in the boat, getting home and my wife asks how It went and getting to show her a picture of a big ol bucket mouth. I don't get that rush from little fish.

My buddy I fish with sometimes likes to say "If I catch another dink I'm gonna take a hammer and beat it's guts out" We get good laugh.

If LM bass never got over 3# I'd be fishing for strippers every trip. My biggest LM is a handful of 8+ over 60 years. I want to catch a DD. I don't get excited about 15 little fish.

You'll go broke fishing for strippers. Stick with the bass...

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

You'll go broke fishing for strippers. Stick with the bass...

With no return on your investment I might add.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 02:46 PM

This guy young:

[Linked Image]

Old:

[Linked Image]

His family depended on him being the best every day during the Great Depression. Never owned a boat longer than 12 feet, or a motor over 4 hp.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

hmmm

when fishing for strippers do you use a 1 a 5 or a 10 for bait or do you go for the big catch with a 20?

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

hmmm

when fishing for strippers do you use a 1 a 5 or a 10 for bait or do you go for the big catch with a 20?

Gruber probably used pennies, nickels, and dimes.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 03:25 PM

hmmm

cuz he has a small pole?

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 03:37 PM

roflmao

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 10:37 PM

hmmm

Now that is funny right there.
hammer
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/17/20 11:39 PM

Al Lindner. No question.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/18/20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones
Al Lindner. No question.

you wish you'd won the money Al Lindner has. Who else won both BASS and Pro Walleye championships?

Posted By: lconn4

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 12:14 AM

hmmm

Reminds me of an old joke told by a .... friendly lady. roflmao

one penny: can you smell it? its a scent
two pennies: see the fruit? its a pear
three pennies: see the snakes? three copperheads
four pennies: see the cars? four Lincolns
five pennies: do you see the naked lady? and you won't for 5 cents
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by beeflover
Al Lindner. No question.

you wish you'd won the money Al Lindner has. Who else won both BASS and Pro Walleye championships?

Frank The Tank
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 05:54 PM

A very similar question like this came up earlier this year about who is the best in this area and I posted his name then. And then he goes out this past weekend and wins a boat. Watch this guy, there is no mistake why he keeps on winning.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
A very similar question like this came up earlier this year about who is the best in this area and I posted his name then. And then he goes out this past weekend and wins a boat. Watch this guy, there is no mistake why he keeps on winning.

[Linked Image]

Hasn't he fished the last several years in Media with a full time guide?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gruber
The one who catches the biggest weight?

Or the one who catches the most fish?

I vote for the latter, before ray scott and his snafu it was always the fisherman who caught the most fish, all the old photos show a large string of bass!

B.A.S.S. Made it weight, or most pounds of fish, don’t know why!
Don’t like any tournaments or competition, fishing is supposed to be an art not science, and fun and enjoyable not work! My opinion! What’s yours?

Why do you ask? According you you, it is YOU since you have it all figured out and the pros along the rest of us are doing it all wrong,,,,
You should enter as many tournaments as you can so you can win every time.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 10:27 PM

How is it challenging to catch big bass on frogs In pads in summer? Why so critical? Everyone has preferences! More power to ya!

The challenge is to catch big bass on crank baits in pads in summer. You should know that.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

The challenge is to catch big bass on crank baits in pads in summer. You should know that.

Drop shot on 4!lb line in the pads is real man fishin’!
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by beeflover
Al Lindner. No question.

I do. You’re correct.
And he built a media empire and has caught more and bigger fish than anybody I can think of.
I was being serious. Perhaps you thought I was kidding?

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 10:46 PM

On a light powered rod with slow action
Posted By: junk baits

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

He would be the anti Big O.

Big O' would wake this place up! What happened to him?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Originally Posted by David Welcher

[Linked Image]

Hasn't he fished the last several years in Media with a full time guide?

LOL it's the other way around, the guide fishes with him. He flat out catches fish! He also fishes more than anyone I know.

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 11:53 PM

LOL
Posted By: Alan

Re: Who’s the best fisherman? - 10/19/20 11:55 PM

Tommy Martin, Larry Nixon and Harold Allen.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum