Texas Fishing Forum

Why do bass

Posted By: hawghoover

Why do bass - 10/16/20 07:22 PM

iv got this small 20 acre lake i fish about 5 days a week.can someone tell me why they bite like crazy 1 day out of 5 and then shut off for 5 days.water level is staying the same.lake is full of shad.iv had days iv caught 25 easy then the next 5 or 6 days NOT 1 BITE! and the lake is 4' deep everywhere. cant figure them out. they dont like to bite at all after the sun is up for 1 hour. any ideas?
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 07:49 PM

Sounds like they are moving to deep water after sunrise, try a 3 inch ribbon tail worm
On a 1/16 oz leadhead cast to the deepest part of the lake or center of the lake and swim that bait back to the bank just above the bottom, off days try swimming a 1 inch single tail white grub same way and along the bank too, that will
Work when all else fails but it needs to be 1 inch and white you can also try a small inline spinner or split shot wennie worm or slider worm with little action, good luck

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 09:12 PM

that's what bugs me. its a run off lake and 4' everywhere.yes normally in a lake they go deep as the sun comes up but its all 4' .dont know about the very middle,cant cast quite that far.plenty of bass in it too.think i will try a C rig

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 09:44 PM

U can try spinning rod and 4 lb test 1/8 oz lead head, there’s got to be a hole or pool or creak even if it’s only 1 foot deeper they will like it

Also I would put up 3 or 4 poles 10 ft tall on the bank on the east side and hang a wire covered with black plastic or tarps it’s a bit extreme but may create a beneficial shade line

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 09:47 PM

Also have tried fishing at night or after the sun goes down with something like a tiny torpedo?

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 10:08 PM

i have found a couple humps about a foot less deep and thats where i get most of them is when i bring my bait off that hump its only about 10' round but holds fish till the sun get up around 9am.then they quit.or leave.but iv fished it 5 days in a row not 1 bite and come back tomorrow and catch 15?
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Why do bass - 10/16/20 11:50 PM

Not the answer you're looking for ...... But they are just like any other animal. They feed when they are hungry and don't when they are not. Also remember that they don't have eyelids and the sun in a 4' pond is going to be a definite factor. There is probably SOMETHING there that you haven't recognized that they are holding on during the day and on those days that you can't catch them. Also : Anything large enough to shade their eye (even a 2" diameter twig) will make them feel safe and hidden. Sometimes it doesn't take much for them to consider it "cover" and hold on it.

And don't rule out the fact that 4' is very shallow and they have predatory birds etc that they are aware of. That may make them shy of anything off the bottom of the lake.

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 01:32 AM

Good advice but I don’t buy to eyelid thing, your dog also does not have eyelids and is in direct sunlight but it does not bother him? I think the like shade cos their predators and conceal themselves.

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gruber
Good advice but I don’t buy to eyelid thing, your dog also does not have eyelids and is in direct sunlight but it does not bother him? I think the like shade cos their predators and conceal themselves.

You're an idiot. Dogs have eyelids. Ever owned a dog?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig

Actually they have 3

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by Hair Jig

Actually they have 3

Correct! My wife is a veterinarian. But I wasn't going to get into intricate details after such an uninformed statement. thumb

Guy needs to do some research about the behavior and habits of bass.

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 01:48 PM

Direct sun does not bother my dog why would it bother fish who don’t have direct sun but refracted light? There just predators concealing themselves, why so critical? Chill out!
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 02:49 PM

Hahahahahhaaaa!!!!
So much great information on the internet!
This is a new one for me!

Re: Why do bass - 10/17/20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones

Hahahahahhaaaa!!!!
So much great information on the internet!
This is a new one for me!

YEP. Remember that if we read it on the internet it must be true .........
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Why do bass - 10/18/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by hawghoover
iv got this small 20 acre lake i fish about 5 days a week.can someone tell me why they bite like crazy 1 day out of 5 and then shut off for 5 days.water level is staying the same.lake is full of shad.iv had days iv caught 25 easy then the next 5 or 6 days NOT 1 BITE! and the lake is 4' deep everywhere. cant figure them out. they dont like to bite at all after the sun is up for 1 hour. any ideas?

My Wife tells me the bass all get together and conspire against me.
Posted By: BillyVanWard

Re: Why do bass - 10/18/20 11:26 PM

Direct sun does not bother my dog why would it bother fish who don’t have direct sun but refracted light? There just predators concealing themselves, why so critical? Chill out!

Uh, yikes!
1) How do you know direct sun doesn't bother your dog? Ya ever asked him? We exist and accomplish things in direct sun. That in no way means we are not bothered by it. Canine eyes are very sensitive, actually.
2) Fish are not dogs. And, dogs are not fish.
3) Light being refracted does not necessarily render it unbothersome.
4) Where just predators?
5) Claim that dogs ain't got no dang eyelids (or paws, lungs, or naughty bits) and people are gonna give ya a hard time. Ya just can't spout off something that hurtin' and then whine when you're called out. Stop it. It makes you look like a sissy.
6) There is usually not a need for someone offering rightful, astonished criticism to chill out.

As for the OP, 20 acres is a pretty decent sized little lake - close to 900K sq. ft....15 football fields - and it's unlikely to be as uniform as you fancy. A jon boat, trolling motor, and depth finder would likely offer some enlightenment. A systematic approach to the problem, including careful finesse lure presentations during solunar major periods mid-day, should eventually do something. If a rather robust 4x4 and a shallow draft aluminum boat with a good depth finder is suitable for your situation, I wouldn't mind taking ya out and doing a survey - I like tackling problems.

That said, I've simply seen fish go on great bites one day, then shut off for several days. Heck, come to think of it, it's kindasorta the story of my life.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Why do bass - 10/18/20 11:47 PM

Dogs don't have eyelids??????? What planet are you from??? Pluto??? So you have a dog that doesn't have eyelids. LOL and you are giving advice on here. You are too funny.
Just wondering, are you actually older than 3 years old??

One thing is for sure, you win the award for posting the goofiest information on this forum,EVER.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 12:05 AM

My dogs are mutants with eyelids.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 01:32 AM

My dog absolutely has eyelids. I don’t think you’ve ever met my dog, but if you have, you’d know he has eyelids. If you’ve ever met any digs, you’d know they have eyelids too.
Posted By: Sawhorse

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 01:57 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 01:59 AM

^^^^that dog ain’t got no eyelids!^^^^.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sawhorse

[Linked Image]

roflmao
Posted By: NateRich5797

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 09:11 PM

The answer to the original post as to why he can catch a bunch of fish one day, and none the next, more than likely has to do with the barometric pressure for each day. 29.92 or lower ='s good fishing days.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 09:36 PM

Know what strain of largemouth were stocked? The Florida strain tends to be a little more moody than the northern strain.

Could be several explanations. If food is abundant, they won't be as aggressive towards artificial lures and will probably only feed in prime periods rather than taking advantage of what meals present themselves. As others mentioned, weather and barometric pressure plays a role, especially on Florida strain largemouth. Maybe your persistent fishing is getting them lure-wise, bringing the overall average bites/day down making the weak days seem even weaker.

Is there any cover in the lake? Brush/log piles, rock piles, downed trees and artificial cover give them something to concentrate on rather than just roaming the banks in a coverless system.

Try speeding your presentations way up, or slowing way down. If they're moody, your best bet is to shock them into a reaction bite by burning something by them or talking them into biting with a good looking slow soak.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Why do bass - 10/19/20 10:04 PM

It's obvious they just like dicking with you. Fish once a week.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Why do bass - 10/20/20 12:15 PM

what has this forum became? just wow...
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Why do bass - 10/20/20 11:30 PM

I think all fish, fresh and saltwater run on cycles. I swear shark fishing from my favorite spot runs in 2 nights on 3 nights off cycles. I bet if you fish consecutive days often enough you see similar patterns in all fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum