Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers...

Posted By: drosey44

Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/15/20 03:54 PM

Gonna go out to whitney for the first time tomorrow. Not looking for your honey hole, just wanted to see if anyone had a few tips on what they're biting right now so I can get an idea of what to rig up. Weather is supposed to be like 55-65 tomorrow morning so that's kind of throwing me off, I'm worried that it'll be pretty slow fishing. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/15/20 06:10 PM

The problem with Whitney is that it’s so narrow and with heavy boat traffic causes problems we used to fish at night close to the main lake bridge there would be trees and caught fish on jitterbugs but the fish are there suspended you can try sliders and grubs also up the river has bass and creeks that have docks! Aquila is close more of a bass lake but I never fished it! Enjoy
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/16/20 09:51 AM

Whitney has a lot of rock so a C-rig will come in handy on any of those rocky points and ledges you come across . Hit all the little pockets off the creeks with weightless Senkos, Shakeyheads and Squarebills, etc.. T-Rigs on standing timber. You'll find a lot of sheer drop offs on Whitney, the edges of those tight to the bank and close to shallower water can be gold at times.
Just go fishing...Good luck.

Oh...and watch out for the Stripers and Sandbass. Those things will show up just about anywhere, anytime busting shad on the surface. They'll bite just about anything hard, wreck your tackle and stick treble hooks in everything. Sometimes the LM will fire up on the outside edges of those up next to cover.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/16/20 03:08 PM

flats and flukes right now
Posted By: Gruber

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/16/20 03:13 PM

We called them
Sand bass too sometimes sandies but don’t know why maybe cos you find them on sand bars or color of the fish, some people call them bar fish but not sure why
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/17/20 02:08 AM

I've been told this and November is the time to fish there, all winter is supposedly great too but can't seem to get my butt out of a deer stand so can't say for sure...
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/17/20 12:32 PM

Lake Fork Chartreuse pepper ring fry on a light C-Rig on main lake points was working well for us a week ago. Good numbers not much size though. Largest 4#
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Looking for Whitney Largemouth pointers... - 10/17/20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gruber
We called them
Sand bass too sometimes sandies but don’t know why maybe cos you find them on sand bars or color of the fish, some people call them bar fish but not sure why

Bar fish is a different fish... It is a yellow bass, it's significantly smaller than most Sandy's and way more yellow. Bar fish are like perch, no limit

Small striper and Sandys are all over right now fun topwater bite
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum