Texas Fishing Forum

Unhooking a bass

Posted By: Buchbass2

Unhooking a bass - 10/07/20 08:40 PM

Just got through watching a MLF event on Sturgeon Bay and I was amazed at the number of anglers that unhooked their fish outside the boat, wow. Has anyone seen anybody lose a fish after doing this, as much as they flop around I want mine in the middle of the boat.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/07/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buchbass2
Just got through watching a MLF event on Sturgeon Bay and I was amazed at the number of anglers that unhooked their fish outside the boat, wow. Has anyone seen anybody lose a fish after doing this, as much as they flop around I want mine in the middle of the boat.

You should also always catch a fly ball with two hands. Great advice for sure, but you'll notice a bunch of pro's don't do it.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/07/20 10:02 PM

have seen them do this for smaller fish that would not make the 2lb minimum weight limit and the pros were trying to avoid a smaller fish coming unhooked,landing in the boat and causing them to get a 2 minute penalty....if fish comes unhooked and falls in the water,there is no penalty....
don't recall seeing them unhooking those smallmouths on sturgeons bay but they did a lot of sliding their hands under them apparently because their mouths are so small....
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/08/20 02:21 AM

Mine have been unhooking three feet away from the boat lately so edge of the boat doesn't seem unreasonable.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/08/20 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pitdad
Mine have been unhooking three feet away from the boat lately so edge of the boat doesn't seem unreasonable.

Me too ! LOL
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/08/20 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pitdad

lately they have been saving me the trouble of having to reel them in or even set the hook, guess they don't wanna wear my old butt out. grin
Posted By: big mike

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/08/20 12:20 PM

I have seen them do that countless times with weighable fish. Surprised to see it with so much money on the line!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Unhooking a bass - 10/08/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
have seen them do this for smaller fish that would not make the 2lb minimum weight limit and the pros were trying to avoid a smaller fish coming unhooked,landing in the boat and causing them to get a 2 minute penalty....if fish comes unhooked and falls in the water,there is no penalty....
don't recall seeing them unhooking those smallmouths on sturgeons bay but they did a lot of sliding their hands under them apparently because their mouths are so small....

cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum