Texas Fishing Forum

Best rod in your opinion & warranty

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 01:39 AM

I’m looking for new rods. I’ve had the same ones for 15 years. I feel Like there is 2 different categories that I’m looking at. Rods from 120-150 and rods that are 250. What’s your favorite in these 2 categories? I’m looking for super sensitive worm rods with a good warranty.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 01:58 AM

Falcon Low rider for the 120-150 and Shimano Zodias 200+
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 02:14 AM

I like the Kistler Helium line
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 02:23 AM

popcorn2
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 02:25 AM

Lol
Posted By: roberts

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 09:23 AM

Kilstler. I fish the helium, and Zbone. the zbone is the top of the line, but worth it
Posted By: Cason

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 04:13 PM

Dobyns makes great products in every price range. The Sierra is one of the best rods you can get at the $180 price point, and the Champion rods are $260.. They are all very sensitive and balance ridiculously well. Plus their warranty is second to none.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 04:30 PM

Falcon and Power Tackle both are great rods with excellent customer service.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 09:55 PM

I have a like new Kistler KLX for sale on the Trading post for $150. It's one step under the Helium.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 11:29 PM

ALX Rods. They are incredible and affordable.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 11:31 PM

Well first of all your title indicates that you are looking for the best rod out there and then in your post you say you are looking for super sensitive rods.. I would say that the Shimano Conquest and the NRX are the most sensitive rods on the market but they are way over your $250 price range. St Croix makes a very expensive rod but I don't know how it compares to the NRX or the Conquest, so if you want the best and super sensitive you will have to spend more than $250. The Shimano Poison Adrena is very sensitive and it is in the $350 price range. With that being said there are a lot of rods that will get the job done in the $250 price range and less. Dobyns, Falcon, Power Tackle, Kistler, Powell, Shimano, FXtreme, Daiwa all make very good rods. You just have to choose which ones you like best.
Posted By: burner42

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 11:34 PM

I have been super happy with my Dobyns Champion Extreme Rods. Now that they are in QuitmanTexas they are even better for warranty/repairs. First Class!

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/07/20 11:55 PM

The warehouse is in Sulfur Springs. The Sierra line of rods are totally awesome for the price point and a Fury is a super value for what Gary sells them for. Fury best bang for the buck according to Gary. The Champion Extremes are awesome rods.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 01:02 AM

I've been happy with lews rods. Not sure if they're the best, but they're good.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 01:07 AM

TFO builds some great rods and are located in Dallas.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
The warehouse is in Sulfur Springs. The Sierra line of rods are totally awesome for the price point and a Fury is a super value for what Gary sells them for. Fury best bang for the buck according to Gary. The Champion Extremes are awesome rods.

You can get them replaced at Fork and any dealer. I just got one replaced at Fun and Sun in Hurst.

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 02:42 AM

Yes, Lake Fork Resort has a large line of Dobyns rods.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by n_fish
TFO builds some great rods and are located in Dallas.

I switched to all tfo and like them a lot.

warrantied one that broke with no questions, just texted a picture of the model etc. and had a new one in 3 days.

I use either an xh or mh for worms, no problem with sensitivity both are 7' 3", xh has a lews superduty wide spool, mh has a revo winch.
xh is for larger weights/worms, mh is up to 3/8 oz.

the dobyns are good too, have used a couple and liked them but no idea what model they were
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 04:26 PM

Take a look at ALX
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 04:36 PM

Yes LFT will do you right, there is another tackle store on the East side that will sell you one but won't stand behind them. The Extreme is about $350.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 05:40 PM

Falcon has a great warranty process. Straight forward and if they don't 100% warranty it, then they offer you a heavy discount to get a new rod.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 07:30 PM

How did we ever manage to catch a single fish without expensive rods? LOL! I've got cheapo's and I've got an NRX. Honestly, I wouldn't spend the money for another NRX. I manage to catch plenty of fish on rods that cost 1/3 of the NRX. Go to a few shops and see which one feels right to you that's in your price range. I can't buy a rod/reel or a golf club without it being in my hands.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
How did we ever manage to catch a single fish without expensive rods? LOL! I've got cheapo's and I've got an NRX. Honestly, I wouldn't spend the money for another NRX. I manage to catch plenty of fish on rods that cost 1/3 of the NRX. Go to a few shops and see which one feels right to you that's in your price range. I can't buy a rod/reel or a golf club without it being in my hands.

There ya go. While I have numerous G.Loomis rods from EX6 to NRX. I find myself reaching for my Shimano Zodias or one of my Mossyback series Loomis more than the $550 NRX rods. I'd never spend NRX money again, well actually I didn't spend it to begin with. My wife thought I needed some NRX rods so she spent the green as a retirement gift.
Posted By: dnuggett

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 09:22 PM

For bass I'm strongly considering moving off of my plethora of manufacturers down to just one, Fitzgerald.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/08/20 10:33 PM

you can use an eagle claw pistol grip glass rod and catch the same fish that a 600.00 custom rod will catch. have to learn how to use what ya got.

I have upgraded due to rods becoming old, still use them off and on but newer is preferred so I don't break stuff. grin
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/09/20 08:38 AM

I really enjoy my NRX’s, GLX’s, and the old cara T7’s. I also have some of the donyns champion extreme that are nice rods also. But when it comes to warranty it can be hit or miss most companies are great these days but some still want you to have the original receipts lol
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/11/20 12:16 AM

Buy Power Tackle and no warranty needed
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/11/20 11:21 PM

ALX for sure. 1 to 5 years on warranty, based on model, but lifetime warranty with replacement fee. Made in America and can get any of their rods custom made if you want a change.

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27

Yes LFT will do you right, there is another tackle store on the East side that will sell you one but won't stand behind them. The Extreme is about $350.

Lake Fork Tackle and Lake Fork Resort are two different businesses.
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DEFMP
ALX for sure. 1 to 5 years on warranty, based on model, but lifetime warranty with replacement fee. Made in America and can get any of their rods custom made if you want a change.

Just got 4 ALX’s. Great rods and a great company. Great owners

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 12:45 PM

Question for everyone that mentioned ALX rods. What do you like about them better than other rod brands that you own. I like the looks of them and their build description, I just have never seen one in person.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 02:21 PM

The Falcon Cara is high on the list at the $250 price point. You can match it on sensitivity, Dobyn's Champion XP for example, but I haven't found anything as light/balanced as the Cara at that price. Patiently waiting for the next generation of Cara to release in the next few months. At the $120-150 range, there are so many good ones I think you just pick one that looks nice and feels right in your hand. I get Falcon LowRiders honestly because I'm familiar with the brand. The LowRider is a very nice rod, but I'm not going to claim it's the best because there are dozens and dozens of good options at that price.

Can't tell you about Falcon warranty or customer service because I have never broken one of their rods; I've had over 20 of them over the last 15 years. My 7 year old Cara Lizard Dragger has developed a crack that I noticed at the beginning of this year but it hasn't let go yet. I'm very gentle with my rods but they get used a lot so it's a matter of time.
Posted By: Jamesche

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 02:27 PM

I'd also chime in for Dobyn's. For the money, I think they're the best out there from the Sierra line upwards. I have a GLX and an NRX, and the NRX is definitely more sensitive, but not by a huge amount. The Dobyn's warranty is excellent.

I would never buy a Kistler rod. I emailed asking about their warranty a while back. I got a response from Trey Kistler and he said, "We are in the rod making business. Not the rod replacement business." I decided right there that I would never give him my business.
Posted By: BWC4

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 03:51 PM

TFO makes some great rods. The first TFO rod I bought was for sw wade fishing and I was so impressed I have started using them for all my bass rods.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/12/20 05:39 PM

Falcon or St. Croix
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/13/20 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Outdoordude
The Falcon Cara is high on the list at the $250 price point. You can match it on sensitivity, Dobyn's Champion XP for example, but I haven't found anything as light/balanced as the Cara at that price. Patiently waiting for the next generation of Cara to release in the next few months. At the $120-150 range, there are so many good ones I think you just pick one that looks nice and feels right in your hand. I get Falcon LowRiders honestly because I'm familiar with the brand. The LowRider is a very nice rod, but I'm not going to claim it's the best because there are dozens and dozens of good options at that price.

Can't tell you about Falcon warranty or customer service because I have never broken one of their rods; I've had over 20 of them over the last 15 years. My 7 year old Cara Lizard Dragger has developed a crack that I noticed at the beginning of this year but it hasn't let go yet. I'm very gentle with my rods but they get used a lot so it's a matter of time.

I paid $150 for one of my Champs (used but good shape) and $146 new on the 40% off sale. I think at that price Dobyns is a steal. I got a Curado new for $100 and that was a steal too. Just on the Curado buy one power down as the M/H fishes more like a heavy to me. My advice is don't buy retail but get good used rods and buy ones with a warranty. On Dobyns worse case you break it and you're out another $80 for a Champ. That's still cheaper than new and hopefully you never have to use the warranty. Course I don't fish tourneys so not real worried about a rod breaking while out on the lake. If I fished tourneys maybe I'd care more about buying new.

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/14/20 12:50 AM

Wow,, no response back on the ALX rods even though they were mentioned several times. OK then.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/14/20 08:58 PM

It amazes me how long people think a rod warranty should be. They think a fishing rod should be replace 5 years after they buy it if it breaks. But these same people buy a new Silverado for 60,000 bucks and get 3 years on the warranty and are happy about it.
My advice is buy a rod that feels the best to you and not worry about the warranty.
Virtually every major rod brand has at least a 1 year warranty. If there is a defect it will break in less than a year.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/14/20 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 9094
It amazes me how long people think a rod warranty should be. They think a fishing rod should be replace 5 years after they buy it if it breaks. But these same people buy a new Silverado for 60,000 bucks and get 3 years on the warranty and are happy about it.
My advice is buy a rod that feels the best to you and not worry about the warranty.
Virtually every major rod brand has at least a 1 year warranty. If there is a defect it will break in less than a year.

Finally someone who gets it.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/14/20 11:36 PM

https://www.fxcustomrods.com/

Great rods, unconditional warranty, cut the part number out mail it in and pay 60 for the replacement shipped. I have sent as many as 6 splits in one postal envelope. Never any issues with warranty.
Posted By: Duke 22

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/15/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by 9094

Finally someone who gets it.

Amen!!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/15/20 02:59 AM

I've been fishing for almost 60 years and have broken exactly one rod while fighting a fish...have broken several in ceiling fans, car doors and car windows. Lots of good rods built by many manufacturers and its just a personal preference which I like best in the price range I'm looking. Loomis, StCroix, Kistler, Falcon, .. the list goes on. The more they cost the lighter in weight they seem to be and the easier it is to cast all day. Find one you like, buy it, and be happy.
Posted By: RoosterBill

Re: Best rod in your opinion & warranty - 10/17/20 08:49 PM

Impulse Rods. Made in Texas. Great rods and a great company. They stand by their rods. Had one break several years after buyimg and they got it fixed for me. Super sensitive and light. They do have a softer tip, so you might up the power you think you need, but that tip is fast and really lets you fight the fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum