Texas Fishing Forum

New breaker ?

Posted By: Hair Jig

New breaker ? - 10/03/20 09:01 PM

Should I replace this breaker? roflmao . Amazing what you find when you buy a used boat.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: New breaker ? - 10/03/20 09:08 PM

I would definitely replace it. With all of the corrosion its going to cause a lot of resistance. And resistance makes heat and heat means wasted energy or reduced current flow.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: New breaker ? - 10/03/20 09:25 PM

I’ve learned that the saying “If it ain’t broke....” does not apply to boats and trailers.

Re: New breaker ? - 10/03/20 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Diaudioman
I would definitely replace it. With all of the corrosion its going to cause a lot of resistance. And resistance makes heat and heat means wasted energy or reduced current flow.

YES .... It was posted in a joking manner. Definitely going to be replaced. It is WAY beyond even being cleaned up.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: New breaker ? - 10/04/20 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I’ve learned that the saying “If it ain’t broke....” does not apply to boats and trailers.

+1
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: New breaker ? - 10/05/20 11:24 PM

Yes, that is junk.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: New breaker ? - 10/05/20 11:49 PM

Just wrap it in duck tape and it will be fine. roflmao

Re: New breaker ? - 10/05/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing

Did you ever live in Tennessee? roflmao
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: New breaker ? - 10/05/20 11:56 PM

Or aluminum foil.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: New breaker ? - 10/06/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig

Did you ever live in Tennessee? roflmao

No I did not live in Tennessee, but my grandad lived in Oklahoma and he believed you could fix anything with duck tape and bailing wire.

Re: New breaker ? - 10/06/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rayzor

Or aluminum foil.

DANG. Just spit Coke all over the monitor ........ clap
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: New breaker ? - 10/06/20 08:17 AM

Just run the boat through a drive thru carwash. It'll be fine.
Posted By: rockyp1017

Re: New breaker ? - 10/06/20 11:58 AM

Replace it. Anytime you find corrosion on boat parts just replace. It is easier in the long run. The last thing you want is for it to fail on the water.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: New breaker ? - 10/07/20 11:36 PM

I haven't seen a breaker like that one in years. How old is the boat it came out of?
Posted By: Cmack

Re: New breaker ? - 10/08/20 02:08 AM

My 96 BassCat has several of those. They still function as intended. Never saw a reason to replace them.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: New breaker ? - 10/08/20 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cmack
My 96 BassCat has several of those. They still function as intended. Never saw a reason to replace them.

If you have a modern electronically controlled trolling motor, the owner's manual likely instructs the user to disconnect power from the TM to charge batteries. Some types of modern marine breakers have a manual over-ride that allows the user to interrupt the power supply to the trolling motor. That old-style breaker doesn't provide a means of fulfilling that directive by the trolling motor manufacturer.

I also like the idea of disconnecting power while charging as an added protection to help protect equipment if an AC line surge (think lightning strike) occurs. You might get a fried charger, but trolling motor, pumps, etc. might be spared if a breaker is in the tripped condition when a surge occurs. That breaker won't trip to protect the equipment from a surge - it's purpose and design are not to accommodate that function.

Re: New breaker ? - 10/09/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I haven't seen a breaker like that one in years. How old is the boat it came out of?

2004 Nitro
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum