Texas Fishing Forum

Bridgeport

Posted By: wh2004

Bridgeport - 10/03/20 07:10 PM

Taking my 11yo son out in the morning. I did pretty good on ratltraps and spinnerbaits out there a week or so ago but then the next evening couldn’t catch a bass to save my life. Any tips?

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 02:27 AM

Helpful. Similar to the help given on my Hubbard creek thread. thumb
Posted By: __TX__

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 01:19 PM

me and my 7 year old son did good out there throwing black and blue soft plastics of various shapes, Texas rigged. They were hitting them really light, had to give them a second before setting the hook.

this was in august though. i'm taking my brother wednesday, let me know how y'all do.
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by __TX__
me and my 7 year old son did good out there throwing black and blue soft plastics of various shapes, Texas rigged. They were hitting them really light, had to give them a second before setting the hook.

this was in august though. i'm taking my brother wednesday, let me know how y'all do.

Went yesterday morning. Caught em in the spillway on dead sticked flukes. Our bite died when the sun came out and we couldn’t find anything else...

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 07:56 PM

Did pretty good. Boated 7 I think with one small mouth. All the keepers came off Berkley swim shads which I would have never thought to use except my son wanted to. Good choice boy!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 09:43 PM

Good day out with the son! thumb

Bridgeport has SMALLMOUTH? shocked

Looks like I need to get my arse up there then. fish

Where did you put in?

Anything I need to know before I venture into unknown waters?

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 09:57 PM

There’s a gas station off 380 in runaway bay I put in at but I’ve also put in at the dam. I really don’t know much about the lake at all other than there’s some shallow areas that are marked on my navionics app that on a clear day I can see bottom from a distance. So I steer clear. Really easy to run though. Lots of sandies too.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 10:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bridgeport - 10/04/20 11:40 PM

Bridgeport has smallmouth and October into early November are my favorite months to catch them. Have had severall 4-6lbers with a 6 1/2lber my biggest smallmouth there.

Bridgeport is pretty easy to navigate, swing wide of points and pay attention to marked areas. They key to fishing BP is to keep moving if you are not getting bit. Too many fish in that lake to go long between bites.

Beautiful scenery and great place to catch a bunch on. I live really close to ramp at Runaway Bay and launch there but I prefer Wise County Park.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Good day out with the son! thumb

Bridgeport has SMALLMOUTH? shocked

Looks like I need to get my arse up there then. fish

Where did you put in?

Anything I need to know before I venture into unknown waters?

Nearly produced a state record smallmouth at one time. I put in at the dam because I live about 5 minutes or so away. Pretty good access to anywhere on the lake from there. Like Mark said swing wide of points. Be very careful at the big point on the northwest portion of the main lake. It gets very shallow a ways off from the bank, and is accurately named "lower unit point". A couple other shallow spots on the west side of the main lake past the islands. Just look at navionics before you go out and pinpoint those spots, they are pretty easy to see on the contour map. South side of the bridge is accessible as of right now but is NOT when the lake is at full pool. Still haven't caught a big smallmouth out of the lake but hoping to this fall. Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Beautiful scenery and great place to catch a bunch on. I live really close to ramp at Runaway Bay and launch there but I prefer Wise County Park.

Is there a launch fee at Wise County Park?

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 02:41 PM

Wise County Park

Located at the north end of the lake, just west of FM2952
Three 2-lane ramps with plenty of parking
No fee for boat launch or day use
Fees are charged for camping and other park services
Open all year
Operated by Wise County (940) 644-1910

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Piscivore

Nope

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 03:01 PM

I’ve never fished up in the area of the lake near wise county park.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Piscivore

All ramps are free at Bridgeport
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Bridgeport - 10/05/20 09:55 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/06/20 01:35 AM

Got out for about 3hrs this afternoon from 3:00PM till 6:00PM. Mostky ran tge boat and pretty well stayed in the river. Tbey were eating a shad pattern squarebill along points up shallow. Better fish came on a Texas rigged creature bait in flooded bushes. Bites were pretty aggressive. Ended up with 10-12 in the boat. A couple shook off. A few keepers. Nothing big.
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: Bridgeport - 10/06/20 01:46 AM

Any decent place to bank fish at bridgeport?

Re: Bridgeport - 10/06/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Titleist77

I have caught them from the bank at the parking lot and ramp area near the dam.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/06/20 04:54 PM

Second this. Caught largemouth and white bass myself. Seen people catch catfish and even a smallmouth down by the dam.

Re: Bridgeport - 10/06/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 21sammy

Second this. Caught largemouth and white bass myself. Seen people catch catfish and even a smallmouth down by the dam.

25 years ago when I was boatless I would get up an hour or two early before work and fish there to get my fishing fix. I would go at night too after the kids were in bed. Always caught something there. Some nice fish too.
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: Bridgeport - 10/07/20 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by 21sammy

25 years ago when I was boatless I would get up an hour or two early before work and fish there to get my fishing fix. I would go at night too after the kids were in bed. Always caught something there. Some nice fish too.

Thanks. I pass through there and always wondered where i could bank fish. Ill give it a try next time im through that area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum