Texas Fishing Forum

Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading

Posted By: KenTx1962

Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 04:08 AM

Posted By: the fishing doctor

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 07:24 AM

The Phoenix 921 Elite has the top cap and deck of a PHX which has lower gunnels for flipping and one larger center storage box but also has the faster hull of the 921 PRO XP . You might want to consider that for your next boat . You can even order it with a Mercury 300 R if you really want more speed . The R is actually supercharged instead of aspiriated .
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by the fishing doctor
The Phoenix 921 Elite has the top cap and deck of a PHX which has lower gunnels for flipping and one larger center storage box but also has the faster hull of the 921 PRO XP . You might want to consider that for your next boat . You can even order it with a Mercury 300 R if you really want more speed . The R is actually supercharged instead of aspiriated .

The 300R is not supercharged. You have it confused with the 450R
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

The 400R is as well. cheers
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 03:45 PM

Well done Ken. Keep em coming.
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 04:28 PM

In my opinion, a boat that has a small ice chest with no latch to keep it sealed and a boat that can’t keep it’s brand’s label on should not score an excellent.

Enjoys the videos though, keep them coming
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 05:25 PM

Here's my honest thoughts on the Phoenix now.
When I first tested one out, it was a Pro XP. I thought it rode and drove awesome. I ended up getting a PHX. Actually had one of the first few off the line. I thought this boat rode and drove like [censored]. Something didn't feel right with it.
I was actually in a Elite boat last weekend. COMPLETELY different feel than the PHX. I did not know that the ELITE boat was sitting on a Pro XP hull. Makes sense now.
Makes me wonder if Phoenix found out something about the PHX hull. Not sure. Either way, the Elite with a PHX top and Pro XP bottom is good combo.
Just my thoughts.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

the 400R is part ofthe old verado lineup not the newer V8 family

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

the 400R is part of the old verado lineup not the newer V8 family

cheers
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 08:19 PM

The black cubbies lift out with more storage underneath. I use under there as my day box if Im on a few plastics.

i use the cooler for my garbage and strap a yeti soft cooler behind my passenger seat. ALL the phoenix rear decks are huge, my draw partners never care about that cooler and often strap their bag behind the other seat.

The trim up and down up front is a toggle lift with toe to lift, push down with toe for down.

There is a red tiny led light that lights up the switch panel if you have the nav lights on, its on the shifter. tiny

Gas tank is 44 gallons under seat and behind.

9 foot rods will fit in both sides of a 921 phoenix easily.

The deck on the elite and phx is raised which lowers the gunnels.

The phoenix will hold a solid 7 rods each side on the deck.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/02/20 08:57 PM

Is Phoenix trying to faze out the 920 Pro XP’s? You seldom see one anymore. In a few months I’ll be back in the boat market and prefer the Pro XP top cap. May have to order one since few are stocked nowadays
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 02:09 AM

If anyone wondering for final clarification on motor confusion above: 300R is naturally aspirated V8. 400R is super charged small block verado. 450R is super charged big block V8.
Ken, these videos have been excellent and refreshing to see from a truly non biased point of view. I have watched every one with great interest. I have worked on many of these models, but some I have not. I am learning a thing or two as well. As a go fast boat fan myself, I especially enjoyed seeing the Bullet reviewed. Even though it graded poorly from an overall perspective, your open minded approach to realize that's a truly great riding and performing boat was nice to see. I feel every boat you've looked at you've truly approached open minded, and that's so refreshing.
To further that, we are right up the road in Nacogdoches, Tx and would be glad to supply an Allison XB21 for demo purposes as soon as our two 2021 models arrive that we have on order. I do not think it will be a model that suites your personal interests, as with the Bullet, they're not for everyone, but are a truly fine ride and another fun boat to run around. We have Allison owners in the Rayburn vicinity as well I'm sure that would put their boats up for use even sooner should you like to add the father of bass boats to your list of videos.
Anyways, carry on soldier! We are all watching with interest.
Posted By: C130

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by T-racer @ Mallard Marine
If anyone wondering for final clarification on motor confusion above: 300R is naturally aspirated V8. 400R is super charged small block verado. 450R is super charged big block V8.
Ken, these videos have been excellent and refreshing to see from a truly non biased point of view. I have watched every one with great interest. I have worked on many of these models, but some I have not. I am learning a thing or two as well. As a go fast boat fan myself, I especially enjoyed seeing the Bullet reviewed. Even though it graded poorly from an overall perspective, your open minded approach to realize that's a truly great riding and performing boat was nice to see. I feel every boat you've looked at you've truly approached open minded, and that's so refreshing.
To further that, we are right up the road in Nacogdoches, Tx and would be glad to supply an Allison XB21 for demo purposes as soon as our two 2021 models arrive that we have on order. I do not think it will be a model that suites your personal interests, as with the Bullet, they're not for everyone, but are a truly fine ride and another fun boat to run around. We have Allison owners in the Rayburn vicinity as well I'm sure that would put their boats up for use even sooner should you like to add the father of bass boats to your list of videos.

I’d love to see an Allison reviewed. I’m from Tennessee and they are pretty popular there and I have friends that have run them forever and wouldn’t own anything else.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 02:22 AM

I’d love to watch a video of Ken riding in an Allison, make sure you bring a driver so he can feel the full experience. grin
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 03:13 AM

Good stuff. thumb

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 04:22 AM

Glad you chimed in as I was going to call you and let you know about the series in case you wanted to offer one. cheers
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 02:16 PM

Further clarification.

The 400R is an inline 6 cylinder with supercharger.

The 450R is a V8 with supercharger.

My guess is Merc will kill the 400R and offer the naturally aspirated 300R as a 350R in the next year or so. They already offer a 430# version @ 360 HP for tunnel hull racing that runs on pump super unleaded. This motor is supposed to be, "Available to qualified race teams" only but what it should say is, "Anybody with $48,000" roflmao

There is no reason to have a 700 pound 400 HP six cylinder when you already have a 700# 450 HP motor that runs on pump 89 octane.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/03/20 03:56 PM

I had the silver decals on mine. They lasted less than 2 months on Fork. I took them off.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/04/20 05:42 PM

Like the reviews Ken. Excellent information. Someone at work told me about you.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 Phoenix 921 ProXP Grading - 10/04/20 06:05 PM

One the trailer part of the review something I've noticed when guys have unexplained hull damage is that most of the time the damage will be right in front of the console in the upper deck area which would be right in the area where the runners end. My two cents on that is more than likely these cracks were probably caused by the trailer being towed in a rough environment. When you are in your vehicle towing your rig you don't take near the bounding that the boat does. The leaf spring and shock set up would probably alleviate some of that pounding.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum