Texas Fishing Forum

Fall Jerkbait timing

Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 10:39 PM

When do the fish really start hitting jerkbaits in the fall? I got some, but never know when to throw them.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 10:39 PM

Yesterday. Lol
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 10:40 PM

Usually whenever you start to see the shad moving shallower to the back half of coves and upper ends of lakes, along with bass suspending in 5-10ft...it’s game on.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 10:56 PM

I always have a jerkbait tied on. Always.

Jerkbaits work best for me when the water temp is between 40 and 90.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 11:15 PM

I don’t even own a jerk bait. lol
I think my son (11) has a rapala ripstop that’s never been used because he liked the way it looks lmao
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 09/30/20 11:21 PM

I fish one fall threw spring. As long as I can find shad schools.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/01/20 02:29 AM

When Fork was full of grass we used to throw bronze back/orange belly rogues over the top of it from late January til mid April and clobber them! I quit using them for years but now that I'm in the aquarium (Lake Travis, etc) I throw them nearly year round. And they catch fish nearly year round.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/01/20 10:33 PM

I throw jerkbaits all year and catch fish all year on them. Only thing that changes Is depth I fish them and the speed.

Great lure for numbers and size.

Except on Alan Henry, they don’t work that well on Alan Henry. Especially don’t throw the natural shad academy jerk bait.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/01/20 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
I don’t even own a jerk bait. lol
I think my son (11) has a rapala ripstop that’s never been used because he liked the way it looks lmao

Same it's too much work for a handful of bites
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/02/20 12:56 AM

Throwing them on days you are on the lake work best. I haven't found them to work very well in my backyard.

As to the "too much trouble, I don't even own one" comment, I'm not surprised considering the all-knowing source. I once caught 11 keeper+ size bass in as many consecutive casts on a jerkbait just ripped out of the package; unhooking them got to be quite time consuming. I guess some might consider this too much trouble?
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/02/20 03:47 AM

Always got one on the deck. When the Blacks are busting shad, game on!!!
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/02/20 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Throwing them on days you are on the lake work best. I haven't found them to work very well in my backyard.

As to the "too much trouble, I don't even own one" comment, I'm not surprised considering the all-knowing source. I once caught 11 keeper+ size bass in as many consecutive casts on a jerkbait just ripped out of the package; unhooking them got to be quite time consuming. I guess some might consider this too much trouble?

flame smart arse
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Fall Jerkbait timing - 10/02/20 04:26 PM

Found out last week that the first time you've thrown them in months, the arm gets sore... grin
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum