Texas Fishing Forum

JDM Reels

Posted By: cr2018

JDM Reels - 09/29/20 03:35 PM

Does anyone have experience with JDM reels? If so what’s really the differences between international and domestic reels and is it worth it? I am looking to get into some JDM reels before long and would like other opinions on them. Thank y’all.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: JDM Reels - 09/29/20 06:15 PM

No experience with the reels but best wishes to the Tiger Fishing Team this season! cheers

I almost went to ETBC (before it became ETBU) to play basketball but things happened. violin

Re: JDM Reels - 09/29/20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
No experience with the reels but best wishes to the Tiger Fishing Team this season! cheers

I almost went to ETBC (before it became ETBU) to play basketball but things happened. violin

I appreciate it Dozer!! We are headed to the Ouachita River in Monroe in the morning.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: JDM Reels - 09/29/20 08:13 PM

smaller spools is the difference look up the capacity you will see.......

I think all mine are 90-110 yards total, which suits me just fine,
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: JDM Reels - 09/29/20 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

...and usually more/better bearings. The Scorpion comes to mind. It’s basically a Shimano Cronarch with MGL spool and two bearings per handle knob and level wind bearings vs shims. About the same price too, but must order through a japan retailer.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: JDM Reels - 09/29/20 11:11 PM

I had a Scorpion many years ago and liked it. At the time you couldn't get a reel like it here in the U.S.

Re: JDM Reels - 09/30/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

...and usually more/better bearings. The Scorpion comes to mind. It’s basically a Shimano Cronarch with MGL spool and two bearings per handle knob and level wind bearings vs shims. About the same price too, but must order through a japan retailer.

Awesome, thank you, the Scorpion is the one I was looking into.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: JDM Reels - 09/30/20 06:06 PM

i HAVE 8 LEFT HAND SCORPIONS THAT i USE EVERY DAY. YEAH SMALL SPOOL AND i SOMETIMES CAST DOWN TO THE KNOT. BUT IF I COULD FIND SOME MORE I'D BUY THEM.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: JDM Reels - 09/30/20 06:42 PM

Back in the day they might have had some different bearings and such but now the only differences are in the colors, names, spool capacities and handle lengths. USDM Shimanos are just as good, if not more versatile than their JDM counterparts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum