Texas Fishing Forum

Senko/Jerkbait rod

Posted By: Ben B

Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 02:30 AM

Any advice on reasonably priced ones?
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 02:39 AM

Abu Garcia vendetta is a great rod and is around $80 unless u find them on sale,I did few years back for $30.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 03:34 AM

2 different rods for me, I don't use a senko like a jersey bait. I use a TFO 6.6 MH for soft jerk baits. I use a dobyns 733 for senko. I dont want the 7 ft rod for a jerk bait.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
2 different rods for me, I don't use a senko like a jersey bait. I use a TFO 6.6 MH for soft jerk baits. I use a dobyns 733 for senko. I dont want the 7 ft rod for a jerk bait.

^^^^^this^^^^^
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 01:08 PM

I like a little heavier action with a fast tip for Senkos. You have to have enough backbone to bury the hook from long distances at times. With a jerk bait you have trebles and can get away with a much softer action.

Unless you are looking for one rod to do it all I would to MH for Senkos and Med for open hook baits.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/28/20 01:13 PM

Agree. Two different rods.
Senko rod, you want something closer to MH (and some lakes with crazy thick vegetation and timber closer to heavy power with a fast action)
Jerkbait rod, medium power with moderate action.

I still use an old AllStar spin poppin rod as my jerkbait rod
I just looked, and it’s been discontinued and I can’t find the Allstar website anymore.
allstar spin popping rod asc845spin
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/29/20 12:00 AM

Dobyns 684. Fury, Sierra, Champion, whatever your price range is.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/29/20 12:05 AM

I been throwing a senko for the last two years on a spinning rod basically c rig. I run braid to swivel Huge swivel to sink my braid, then a leader of 2 feet or so and offset fine wire hook w senko, or trick worm etc. This same rod and tied on set up also works for my flukes. It works great in open water covering water etc, you can chuck it a mile on a spinning rod.
Posted By: champRD

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/29/20 01:56 AM

WhatKen said unless you have to get away with just one . Then faclon finesse jig rod is pretty well rounded , at least the older ones are. Use a low stretch flouro .
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/29/20 11:30 AM

Falcon Rods Head Turner... Dan
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/29/20 11:22 PM

UglyStik Lite, 7’ medium is perfect for a jerk bait.

I throw jerkbaits a lot, and I love using this rod. I can feel fish hit the lure during pauses on a semi-slack line.

I will pay much more for TxRig and Jig rods, but will always have at least 1 of these rods with a jerk bait tied on. I have a second that I use for small top waters such as the smaller prop baits and poppers.

I want a MHVY with a fast tip for senko. I love my 7’6” Ducket Micro Magic Pros for weightless senkos, flukes, and light Txrigs. They are a little softer than many comparable MHVYs making casting easy, but stout enough for good hook penetration.

I used to use my medium Ugly Stiks for weightless flukes and senkos due to ease of casting the lighter lures, but get better Hookup ratios with MHVY.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Senko/Jerkbait rod - 09/30/20 01:01 AM

I use a Dobyns Extreme 733 for senkos and flukes and 6'6" G. Loomis IMX MH for hard jerkbaits.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum