Texas Fishing Forum

Carolina Rig Rod

Posted By: McLovin’

Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 03:51 PM

Hey Guys
Looking to replace my rod for my C-rig set up.
What are some suggestions that are $150/less

Thanks-
Posted By: CB-52

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 04:21 PM

if you do not need it soon I would save a little longer to get a shimano zodias or a falcon expert/cara personally I like a 7’4-7’6 for a crig.
Posted By: SkeeterGuy1

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 04:28 PM

I use a Dobyns Fury 735 and it gets the job done for me. Fits your price point as well.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 04:53 PM

I use a Falcon lowrider Carolina rig II.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 04:54 PM

I use a Falcon lowrider Carolina rig II.
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 05:34 PM

Budget set up is a Falcon Lowrider Carolina rig II
Sweet set up is a G.Loomis BCR 875 GLX

If they both got broke/stolen today, I'd replace with a Zodias. IMHO about the best bang for the buck out there today. YMMV.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 05:39 PM

I bought the Falcon Lowrider Lizard Dragger for C rig. But I wound up feeling like it was struggling with the weight of the rig, so I stepped it up to a Falcon Lowrider Heavy Cover Jig and REALLY like the way it casts the 1+ ounce rigs and the sensitivity is pretty good with braid main line. $129 regular price and you can find them on sale from time to time.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 07:03 PM

I know you said around $150...but this rod has been very kind to me:

https://alxrods.com/collections/zolo/products/zolo-dragger-74-heavy-fast-casting
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/24/20 07:05 PM

Johnny Morris Carbonlite 2.0 - 7’6” MH
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/25/20 12:14 PM

No matter what rod you buy, most definitely get the HEAVY action.
Posted By: rkd

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/25/20 02:44 PM

Second the ALX Zolo Dragger. It's about $65 more than your budget though. Not to start a debate on whether the reel or the rod is more important but with crigging, I think the rod might be slightly more important since you're not casting/reeling near as much. Maybe save a few $$ on the reel and apply it towards the rod?
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/25/20 10:01 PM

Third on the ALX dragger. I have a longer C rig specific rod, but I used my dragger in a pinch a month ago and that thing casted a C rigged fluke a mile paired with a Lews Tournament Pro reel
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/26/20 08:12 PM

I like the Dobyns Sierra in a 734. Also a great rod for throwing buzz baits.

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/26/20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke

Heavy is a relative term when you are talking about all the rod brands out there. Some are as stiff as a broom handle and you won't get the distance out of it like you would on a rod with some tip action to it.
Posted By: Tyler822

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/27/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

Heavy is a relative term when you are talking about all the rod brands out there. Some are as stiff as a broom handle and you won't get the distance out of it like you would on a rod with some tip action to it.

100%. Put your hands on whatever rod you decide on before you buy it.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/27/20 01:26 AM

Been using the Falcon Lizard Dagger forever.

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/27/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
Been using the Falcon Lizard Dagger forever.

When this rod first came out I felt like it was the best one on the market for throwing a C-rig. Can you still find them somewhere?
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/28/20 01:37 PM

I've got it in the Low Rider and the original Cara series. You might find one on Ebay and I have seen individuals trying to sell them on BBC.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/29/20 01:40 AM

I have a black "Made in USA" Original 7C-17 Carolina Lizard Dragger from the 80's that's been hanging in my garage for years. $50 to anyone in the Austin area. smile

I live up on Lake Travis and for the last few years I haven't been tossing a C-rig as often as I did when I fished Lake Austin a lot. But for that technique the last few years I've been using an NRX 873C CRR. Also it's good for jigging 1/4oz and over soft plastics like beavers, creatures, et al. Before the NRX I used a Dobyns Fury FR735C, which is an excellent heavyweight rod (to me) and only like $120!
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Carolina Rig Rod - 09/30/20 01:06 AM

Dobyns Sierra 735 for 1 ounce or 734 for 3/4 ounce
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum