Texas Fishing Forum

Buzzbaits

Posted By: racing75

Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 01:37 PM

What kind of line do you use with buzzbaits?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 01:42 PM

Something that floats that isn't too stretchy, but with some forgiveness to not rip it away from them.
I like 40lb braid to six foot 15lb leader of Pline CXX as a good compromise/best of both worlds.

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Something that floats that isn't too stretchy, but with some forgiveness to not rip it away from them.
I like 40lb braid to six foot 15lb leader of Pline CXX as a good compromise/best of both worlds.

I’ll try that. I was using flouro and it wasn’t allowing it to come to the top of the water until it was almost to the bank. Keep in mind, I’m a newbie with buzzbaits.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 01:54 PM

I use straight braid...40 lb Diawa J Braid

Smooth, doesn't dig down in the reel on hook set, doesn't seem to fade

I use a slightly lighter rod as well to help with the hook set and keep it pinned
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 03:17 PM

Daiwa J Braid Grand 8X
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by racing75

I’ll try that. I was using flouro and it wasn’t allowing it to come to the top of the water until it was almost to the bank. Keep in mind, I’m a newbie with buzzbaits.

That isn't due to the flouro. The trick is just before the buzz bait hits the water you want to stop the spool with your thumb and then engage the reel just as the buzz bait is entering the water and starting cranking immediately. This will cause the buzz bait to begin doing it's job essentially as soon as it hits the water.

I used braid for the longest time but saw a video about G-man using flouro so I've been testing with that. Haven't thrown it much recently though.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 04:08 PM

The best trick for buzzbaits is the design as well...there are only a few models that I've found that surface immediately after hitting the water. They need to be designed with a keel in head.

My favorite right now is made by Joey Watts and Flatlands. These surface so fast, you can actually slow roll it without cavitation or sinking.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 04:55 PM

Y'all sure like blowing a lot of money and tying extra knots. Big game 15 works perfect.
Posted By: officialfish

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 05:25 PM

20 pound Big game
Posted By: greenen

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 09:07 PM

Getting it up out of the water quickly at the end of the cast and starting it moving should let you fish it easily on any line.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/24/20 09:32 PM

15 lb big game unless I’m really throwing it in some nasty stuff. Then 40 lb J braid.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 12:14 AM

Depends on the rod also. If you use a soft action tip braid is fine. I you're using a firm action tip you are going to want to use mono or copoly. There has to be some give somewhere IMO.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 12:27 AM

McCoys Mean Green co-poly. 15lb or 17lb . W
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 12:30 AM

65# Green Power Pro. No mercy.

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by SAKS
Depends on the rod also. If you use a soft action tip braid is fine. I you're using a firm action tip you are going to want to use mono or copoly. There has to be some give somewhere IMO.

I use a MH rod with the braid. I feel I lose more on a buzzbait with.mono or flouro than I do with braid.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 12:51 AM

20LB. Big game for everything. thumb

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I use a MH rod with the braid. I feel I lose more on a buzzbait with.mono or flouro than I do with braid.

I use a medium/heavy also but with a moderate fast action.

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:14 AM

Mine is a fast action

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:21 AM

Mine is a fast action

Mine’ a 7’ MH fast action

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:34 AM

This all just goes to show it’s a whatever you’re comfortable and confident with and a personal feel thing.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:39 AM

MH Fast rod with 15 lb flouro or copoly
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by pop r
20LB. Big game for everything. thumb

I could live with that, except for a jerkbait.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by i-Fish

That isn't due to the flouro. The trick is just before the buzz bait hits the water you want to stop the spool with your thumb and then engage the reel just as the buzz bait is entering the water and starting cranking immediately. This will cause the buzz bait to begin doing it's job essentially as soon as it hits the water.

I used braid for the longest time but saw a video about G-man using flouro so I've been testing with that. Haven't thrown it much recently though.

I tied on a large Jitterbug to 17lb floro pond fishing with a jig rod and caught several fish. I didn't noting the floro sinking.
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 04:10 AM

What gear ratio is your reel? Anything less than 6:1 and you'll be cranking your arm off.
I use a 7:1 with 15 lbs p-line mono on a medium heavy rod. I'll go up to 20 in heavy cover, since buzzbait's seem to catch bigger fish.

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by John Peebles

What gear ratio is your reel? Anything less than 6:1 and you'll be cranking your arm off.
I use a 7:1 with 15 lbs p-line mono on a medium heavy rod. I'll go up to 20 in heavy cover, since buzzbait's seem to catch bigger fish.

I’m using a 7.0:1 Lews with a 7’ MH rod
Posted By: Littledog

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/25/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by i-Fish

Key here is "stop the spool with your thumb". If you stop the spool by engaging the reel, expect the gears to wear out eventually. Gets expensive buy reels every year.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/26/20 08:27 PM

I like this and P-Line Premium but I use 20# test with both brands on a Dobyns Sierra 734 and a Lews BB1 Pro....8-1 gear ratio reel.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Buzzbaits - 09/27/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by greenen
Getting it up out of the water quickly at the end of the cast and starting it moving should let you fish it easily on any line.

I also like to drag as I wind fast to get buzz and spinner baits up. I use Mean Green 17.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum