Texas Fishing Forum

switching flouro's?

Posted By: fivebites

switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 02:33 AM

I've been going back and forth between Invisx and red label. In the Austin area there are so many rocks and zebra mussels that Invisx gets frayed much easier and broken off quite a bit. Red label is much tougher, but is not nearly as pliable. Getting ready to start asking Mrs. Santa to stock up for me. Any of you guys ever tried the Abrasx? If so how does it compare to the other two in terms of manageability?
Posted By: CB-52

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 02:57 AM

Personally all I ever use is Abrasx and it’s pretty manageable. without a backlash a spool will last quite a while on the reel. In my opinion it’s 200% better Invisx other than the price I would give it a shot.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by CB-52
Personally all I ever use is Abrasx and it’s pretty manageable. without a backlash a spool will last quite a while on the reel. In my opinion it’s 200% better Invisx other than the price I would give it a shot.

I’ve tried them all...I have had better luck with the InvisX. I now have a few shallow spools of AbrasX and use it for leaders.

I have t found any other $20(ish) spool of fluorocarbon line that performs as well as InvisX.

Red Label used to be the deal of the century when it was “level wound” on the spool.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 03:25 AM

Thanks for the input boys. I was surprised that it was a little more expensive than Invisx by about 10%. I really like the Invisx but this area is just murder on line with the rocks and zebra's. Gonna try a small spool and see how it turns out.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 03:23 PM

You should give Sunline Sniper a try.

I have been using it for years in some of the gnarliest waters around. Trees coated with quagga muscles. I've tried many brands and found Sniper to not only be smooth, manageable, but very strong with very little frays.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 03:35 PM

I have had better luck with Abrazx on all contact baits and use Invizx on all moving baits. Break off alot less since this.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
You should give Sunline Sniper a try.

I have been using it for years in some of the gnarliest waters around. Trees coated with quagga muscles. I've tried many brands and found Sniper to not only be smooth, manageable, but very strong with very little frays.

I've got some Sniper that I use only for deep diving crankbaits in 12lb test for these ultra clear waters. Haven't tried it for bottom contact yet. I'll probably get a box of Abrasx and bigger Sniper and see which one I like best. Best place for the best price? Looked on Amazon and dang...I need to quit buying stuff from Bass Pro Shop! They are nearly 30% higher on almost everything.
Posted By: CB-52

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 04:00 PM

Sniper is good line it’s the only line that I use currently other than Abrasx and it’s good for moving baits like crankbaits and jerkbaits I would try it for most of your moving baits.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 05:12 PM

If you're looking for good prices...look at:
http://tackletrap.com/

They have specials along with various forums specials for members. Reach out to them as they've always treated me good.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 05:20 PM

I use two types of fluorocarbon. Invizx 15lb Spooled reel for my senko and fluke fishing. And seaguar flipping fluorocarbon 20lb for my leader on my jig rod and Texas rig rod. Spooled with J braid 40lb I start off with a 12’ leader. I love both lines for their application.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 07:53 PM

Sunline Sniper and you will never use anything else, strong and smaller diameter than competitors in same # strength.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/18/20 10:28 PM

Gamma Edge, Tatsu and 100% Trilene are the toughest lines, IMO
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 12:40 AM

I am braid to leader on almost everything now so I use Tatsu. Since I only use 10-15 ft at a time, the cost isn't so bad. I had a bad experience with several spools of Sunline fluro bought from their website, so I pass on the fluro from them.
Posted By: LFA17

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 12:43 AM

Sunline Sniper and Shooter
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 12:39 PM

I use Sunline Assassin (Abrazix also) and imo, I feel it’s close between invizix and abrazix.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
If you're looking for good prices...look at:
http://tackletrap.com/

They have specials along with various forums specials for members. Reach out to them as they've always treated me good.

Looks like they're asking $129 for 1000 yds of 20lb Invisx on this website. Amazon has it at $99. Anyone had any issues with Amazon line being fake?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 02:52 PM

This is what I use around zebra mussels

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Transparent_aluminum
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 02:56 PM

[Linked Image]

I bought a big spool of Red Label and I cannot tell any difference between it and Abrasx. It is stiffer than Invisx but I change often so it's not an issue.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/19/20 04:57 PM

Sniper, Shooter, Assassin.

What it the difference between these three and which of the three do you like best? How do they compare to Invizx, red label, and Abrazx.
Posted By: BigVes

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/20/20 12:45 AM

Sunline sniper 100% and you’ll never turn back

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/20/20 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by BigVes

So why is this one better than Shooter and Assassin?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/20/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by BigVes

So why is this one better than Shooter and Assassin?

Sniper is great for all around use. Shooter is more abrasion resistant but has more memory.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/20/20 11:17 PM

So Sniper is like Invizx and Shooter is like Abrazx right?

What does Assassin compare to?
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/21/20 06:46 PM

I don't know who is making the new Strike King line for them but I spooled up 4 reels with it and so far I really like it.
Posted By: Clint W.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/21/20 07:30 PM

Sunline 'Sniper'

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/21/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Clint W.
Sunline 'Sniper'

Again my question that no one seems to want to answer. Why is Sniper better than Assassin or Shooter?
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/22/20 02:42 AM

I've been using Invisx and red label for years, but based on SkeeterDon's and others' recommendation, I just dropped a small amount of coin on three 200yd spools of Sniper, in 8lb, 12lb, and 16lb. Always up for something new, after all. cheers
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/22/20 10:51 AM

Sunline 'Sniper'

Again my question that no one seems to want to answer. Why is Sniper better than Assassin or Shooter?

No one is better then the other overall. Each has its own application.
Shooter - stiffer so transmits bites better, very abrasion resistant. Downside is has a lot of memory so can backlash easily.
Sniper - slightly softer then Shooter so more manageable. Almost as sensitive and casts well.
Assassin - softer then the other two so less knot strength and less sensitive for bottom contact. Works well on spinning reels and moving baits.
I've tried all 3 and settled on Sniper in 12, 16, and 20# depending on cover and weight I'm using.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/22/20 02:06 PM

Just use Trilene 100% toughest one I have found. Thank me later!

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/22/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Sunline 'Sniper'

No one is better then the other overall. Each has its own application.
Shooter - stiffer so transmits bites better, very abrasion resistant. Downside is has a lot of memory so can backlash easily.
Sniper - slightly softer then Shooter so more manageable. Almost as sensitive and casts well.
Assassin - softer then the other two so less knot strength and less sensitive for bottom contact. Works well on spinning reels and moving baits.
I've tried all 3 and settled on Sniper in 12, 16, and 20# depending on cover and weight I'm using.

Thank you. That is the information I wanted to know.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/22/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1

I tried that one years ago and didn't like it. Others I have found I like way better but if it works for you then that is what counts.

I know a couple of guys that love Vanish. It seems to work for them.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/23/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1

I tried that one years ago and didn't like it. Others I have found I like way better but if it works for you then that is what counts.

I know a couple of guys that love Vanish. It seems to work for them.

Vanish is DOODOO!

I started with Berkley Trilene 100% it was stiff and had more memory than I prefer, but it worked well for what I used it for. Then I found Sniper....never looked back.

PS: I've used Tatsu as well, to me it was very good line, but the price didn't justify the use.

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/23/20 05:42 PM

Don't care for Vanish. Too brittle. Had lots of break offs with it. Never had that issue with any other line. Gonna try some 20 lb sniper.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: switching flouro's? - 09/25/20 01:29 AM

I took some Vicious to Mexico with me because I respool every evening due to the numbers of fish you catch. I back my reels with braid so not a full refill. I found it at Academy for $19.99 for 500yds. This stuff held up so good I switched to it permanently and have had zero issues with it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum