Texas Fishing Forum

How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished...

Posted By: Fishing with James

How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 10:22 PM

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share a story of one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in fishing. Losing this tournament was one of the hardest things to accept because my 3 second lapse of judgement is what caused it. If you've ever had something like this happen, please leave a comment on this thread and tell your story too! I'm still in shock that I let this happen... Anyways, here's my story:
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 10:55 PM

That was bonehead, dude....sorry! Never, ever set a net down with a fish in it.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 11:11 PM

Wait so you don’t even have video of it? SMDH what’s the point of the video then
Posted By: JPeel

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Wait so you don’t even have video of it? SMDH what’s the point of the video then
. Exactly!

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 11:56 PM

100% agreed there. Literally have never made a mistake like that but definitely never will again lol\
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/14/20 11:56 PM

popcorn2

To tell the story, buddy. That's the whole point of this video. Sure, I don't have footage, but I still want to share my experiences.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 12:37 AM

Can you just tell the story here for those of us that won't click on people's youtube videos
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Can you just tell the story here for those of us that won't click on people's youtube videos

That is what is am saying..
Posted By: TxBassSniper

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 12:56 AM

I had a 3 second lapse in judgement once in high school with a girl named Melanie.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 01:01 AM

Too many disgruntled jerks on this forum. I feel your pain, Miller. I made a boneheaded mistake in February with a fish that would have won the tournament and big bass because I let said fish dog me in “open water” only for it to find another stump that I couldn’t see and it break me off. Lesson learned; get the fish in the boat, preferably in the cockpit area. Lol
Posted By: Resh

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by John Peebles
I had a 3 second lapse in judgement once in high school with a girl named Melanie.

Video or not doesn’t matter apparently
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 01:12 AM

But did you get a trophy

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

But did you get a trophy

Kinda of, it was a little plastic stick that said negative. Had to sweat it out for about a month, but it was the Best trophy ever! woot
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 02:21 AM

JHMiller01, is still waiting for some girl to have a lapse in judgement.

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 03:31 AM

I feel ya man. I know my boat partner wanted to kill me lmao

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 03:33 AM

Dang man that's tough roflmao
Posted By: blooper961

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 03:38 AM

Watch Bill Dance blooper tapes on Utube.
We are human and do make kistakes
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 02:08 PM

Ask James Biggs about culling the wrong fish barf

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/15/20 02:10 PM

Jim Bitters lost the BassMasters Classic in 1989 by 2 ounces. That was most likely a million $$$ fish even back then.

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 02:20 AM

Some pretty harsh comments on this thread. Folks need to ease up. Best of luck next time, Miller.

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 08:36 AM

I appreciate it, man. Most times, when some people see a YouTube video, they disregard everything and lose their minds lol. I definitely feel better about the situation after sleeping a few times and I know I won't let it happen again thumb
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 02:18 PM

Miller, you are at Texas A&M.....
Forget about YouTube videos, fishing forums and the like. You will never be in such a target rich environment of beautiful, single young ladies again in your life! Take advantage. Seriously.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 02:55 PM

Lol
Posted By: hopalong

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 08:03 PM

that's what she said, 3 seconds. roflmao bolt
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 08:35 PM

Scott Dean understands this to...
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by OzzieFish
Scott Dean understands this to...

Harsh Ozzie, just harsh...………….. but still funny

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/16/20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

that's what she said, 3 seconds. roflmao bolt

It was the best 3 seconds of her life. roflmao banana

Seriously though, good advise above Miller. Get off the computer, clean yourself up and get you one of those ATM girls. Used to be my favorite campus to visit when I had to get research materials for work. I love that East Texas accent.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/17/20 01:35 AM

I feel your pain, made a bonehead cull one time and lost a very important tournament to me by less than 2 ounces. Would of won it. Second place was not a good feeling that day. It was twenty years ago and I still think about it from time to time.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/17/20 11:44 AM

I tried to swing a 2 1/2-3lb bass into the boat and 20 lb line broke...cost me $80,000 (difference between 1st and 2nd in Redman all-american)....
Posted By: dk2429

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/18/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Maybe he needs content....? Fishing has changed..
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/18/20 10:21 PM

wopics

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/19/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
I tried to swing a 2 1/2-3lb bass into the boat and 20 lb line broke...cost me $80,000 (difference between 1st and 2nd in Redman all-american)....

Ugh.... barf
Posted By: 361V

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/19/20 03:15 PM

4:00: “Fishes mouths are real soft at a power plant lake”? I learned something today! 👍

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/20/20 02:44 AM

Yeah. I moved down to college station recently and there isn't any good fishing there. Just trying to film when I can to get by until I find some good spots.
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: How I Accidentally Lost the Biggest Tournament I've Ever Fished... - 09/20/20 02:49 PM

I never did this but one of my first major money tournaments was a team deal. My partner knew the lake we were on very well and me, I was just starting out in this game and hadn't really done any other techniques or lure presentations beyond worm, spinner baits, and crank baits. My partner put us on some fish in about 8 foot of water over some submerged Christmas trees. I had tied on a Rogue and was going to take a shot at topwater that morning. The fish were there and I threw that Rogue and let it set for a few seconds and then twitched it a couple of times or so and fish that probably would have placed real high or won the tournament kept blowing up on the Rogue. I missed a solid limit of fish because I was reacting to the blow up and not the feel of the fish at the other end. I wound up rolling into the weigh in with nothing. That was a hard lesson, but one I'll never forget.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum