Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance (yeah....I know...)

Posted By: Ben B

Lowrance (yeah....I know...) - 09/14/20 02:57 AM

Alright, so I know the Bird guys on here are going to tell me the issue is the wording on the front of the unit where it says "Lowrance", but...

I have 2 HDS Carbon 9's and the one at the console is acting weird. Last weekend it cut out about midway through the day and every time I restart it would just sit on the home screen. Then today it started doing the same thing, but then a different home screen came up - however the lettering was fuzzy...kind of like what you would see on a television. Also - and I'm not sure if this would be related to the issue - but the screen was VERY hot to the touch. Is it possible the unit is somehow overheating? And what would cause that?
Posted By: rut-roe

Re: Lowrance (yeah....I know...) - 09/14/20 08:17 PM

My gen 2 started doing that and it was a bad connection with my ground wire. I reworked my ground straight to batteries and ended problem.
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Lowrance (yeah....I know...) - 09/15/20 03:19 AM

I just started having this same issue with my gen 2 up front. I’ve recently pair it with a live unit. I ran 10 gauge wire back with no avail. Scanned the unit with thermal imaging and was getting 121* around the terminal connection at the bottom of the unit. Took the back cover off, inspected connection and clean the circuit board and rescanned with the cover off. Found no abnormal heat around the connectors. The CPU board however, attached to the main board, was running 161*. Both coil packs, heat sinks, were 135* and 152*, seem to be doing their job. I’m not exactly sure what all this means but I’m told that these units are rated for about 130*. My unit will operate fine inside the garage but wig out under the added heat from the sun.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Lowrance (yeah....I know...) - 09/15/20 01:20 PM

Had this same thing happened and here's what I did and what actually corrected the issue:

1) Cleaned all connectors with wire brush and added di-electric grease to all fittings including the ones on the back of the units
2) Reviewed my wiring where I could found one loose connection and re-crimped it
3) Replaced my starting battery - Yes this was the culprit, my battery wasn't sized correctly to run my electronics, livewells, and start the big motor after a full day on the water. Went to an Duracell Group 31 AGM and haven't had an issue since.

Please note: each person's experience is different.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum