Texas Fishing Forum

I-Pilot link or not?

Posted By: Dtechman

I-Pilot link or not? - 09/10/20 10:45 PM

Sorry if this has been covered already. I didn’t see anything when I searched. How often do you ultrex guys that have I-pilot link actually use it? Trying to decide on an ultrex with just ipilot and Bluetooth with mega down imaging or one with link. I may be better off with a US2 version for my old bird 998. Also looking hard at motor guide tour pro due to cost and breakaway mount. I have old hummingbird graphs and won’t be upgrading for a while unless I have to.

I’m a weekender and fish shallow water mostly but also fish rivers and current a lot so that’s why I want the spot lock. Don’t fish tournaments other than an occasional charity deal so I’m just wanting to make sure I’m not wasting money
Posted By: wh2004

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/10/20 11:28 PM

I wish I had link. Have regular ipilot ultrex and will probably add link.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 12:16 AM

I use LINK all the time. I am very glad I spent the extra cash for it.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 12:51 AM

I went with iLink on mine and have my SI transducer mounted in a Transducer Saver Mount.

I have not gotten mine linked yet but it is in the cards to be done soon. cheers
Posted By: GROD

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 01:48 AM

I’ve had link for a couple years now and haven’t used it once. I haven’t used the remote either. Spot lock is all I use and need.
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by GROD
I’ve had link for a couple years now and haven’t used it once. I haven’t used the remote either. Spot lock is all I use and need.

Learn the "jog" feature using the remote with spot lock.... game changer.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 12:29 PM

I bought the link version and put an 1199 unit up front but I don't utilize it at all. Its cool that it logs a waypoint each time you spot lock but I don't use the jog feature or use it to follow contour lines.
Posted By: Costa Plente

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 12:34 PM

if your not running Humminbirds then I don't see the need for the link. If there is a use if your running any other electronics what is it?

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Costa Plente
if your not running Humminbirds then I don't see the need for the link. If there is a use if your running any other electronics what is it?

Don't think there is. Need humminbird to "link" It all.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by GROD

Same here. I bought the link version the day the Ultrex was released. Along with 3 Helix units. Used the link once or twice. Then sold the Helix stuff for Carbons and haven’t missed any of it.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 07:15 PM

I dont see the need for the link.
Posted By: Jamoke

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 07:37 PM

I like the link because I can sit at my depth finder and tell my trolling motor to go to a way point using only my humminbird depth finder. I can also record a track to fish a bank, or any location and use that same track over and over.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/11/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jamoke
I like the link because I can sit at my depth finder and tell my trolling motor to go to a way point using only my humminbird depth finder. I can also record a track to fish a bank, or any location and use that same track over and over.

I have I pilot (not link) and I don't think I can trolling motor to go to a waypoint.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 12:30 AM

I have the link and Bird. It's nice to get close and drop the trolling motor and have it take you straight to your waypoint.

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'
I have the link and Bird. It's nice to get close and drop the trolling motor and have it take you straight to your waypoint.

It does that without a humminbird. Saves a lot of spot locks in the unit itself.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 01:41 AM

I didn't know that. What do you mean by saves a lot of spot locks in the unit itself? I don't see waypoints that I didn't mark through the graph. But I noticed that the ones marked sometimes skips a number or 2. Is that from hitting the spot lock?

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 01:45 AM

Nothing to do with the graph in my case. I simply grab the remote and touch the “save spot lock” icon. When I want to go to one of them, I touch “go to spot lock” and the spot locks load up on the screen starting with the closest one to my current location. I touch the one I want to go to and off it goes. When it gets close it slows down and locks in the exact spot I saved. The advantage of the humminbird interface is it allows for more spot lock storage and trail storage.

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Nothing to do with the graph in my case. I simply grab the remote and touch the “save spot lock” icon. When I want to go to one of them, I touch “go to spot lock” and the spot locks load up on the screen starting with the closest one to my current location. I touch the one I want to go to and off it goes. When it gets close it slows down and locks in the exact spot I saved. The advantage of the humminbird interface is it allows for more spot lock storage and trail storage.

I wonder if this is on the regular (non-link) remote? Would be really nice if mine has It!
Posted By: Anthony Carson

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 10:50 AM

I have the non link version and it does all I need it to do
Posted By: Dtechman

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 02:59 PM

It’s seems so far that most do not use it to often. I have an old hummingbird 998 that will link to it so it may be worth it. Then I can upgrade my console to newer unit

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 04:13 PM

The reason I want It is that I want to place an external gps puck over my stern transducer and run my Helix console unit off It. Then when I mark brush piles and what not, there's no offset. Then I can use my helix unit to send my TM to spot lock directly over that way point. No guessing or trying to get close etc.
That would b more for when I'm crappie fishing though.
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

For me personally the advantage of having iPilot Link connected to the Humminbird is the capability of cursoring to a spot that has already been passed on the Humminbird screen and select it for spot lock and the Ulterra will go back to that position.

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 08:28 PM

can I pilot navigate to a waypoint?
Posted By: RBDavis3591

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 09:13 PM

This video from The Technological Angler shows how to navigate to a waypoint using iPilot Link and a compatible Humminbird unit.

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 09:29 PM

does that work with I pilot? I don't have link...
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: I-Pilot link or not? - 09/12/20 10:19 PM

^^^^ No

https://www.trollingmotors.net/blog...ferences-between-i-pilot-vs-i-pilot-link

Good comparison between the 2.

I use LINK mostly when side imaging, see a spot I like, set a waypoint and navigate right back to it. Also when fishing a productive area you can follow the path you just ran in reverse and fish it again without having to control the boat.

If you run a shoreline, say topwater fishing , if you don't get off the contour you just ran , say to retrieve a snagged bait, you can save that path and use it next time you fish that area. I really like being able to just fish and not have to constantly adjust my path. I like to stand on my casting deck instead of sitting, and running the foot control is difficult for me, so anytime I can let LINK take over I'm fishing instead of trying to run a foot control.

As far as those that never use the remote. Sometimes I go from the front deck to the rear deck when fishing deep and dragging so I can sit on my leaning post and relax and still have boat control.

I say better to have it than regret not the first time you fish with someone that does and see how it works. It was frustrating to me at first until I recognized the little things that I thought were the LINK's fault but realized it was operator error. For example, follow the contour is awesome, however if you just pick a contour, say 20 Ft and select it, if that particular contour goes off a ways from the ones close to it, you will realize you are way farther off the shore line than you wanted, and some contour lines do goofy things such as basically double back, so you need to pay attention and pick the contour that stays relative to where you intend to fish. You can offset the contour line + or - as well. Like a lot of technology, it takes time and experience using it to realize it's full potential.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum