Posted By: G Love

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 05:18 PM

I generally throw mine on a Falcon Bucoo Finesse Jig rod. 6'10 MH-M
Posted By: mwbasser

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 05:52 PM

Same rod you use for a jerkbait, kinda vague but that’s my best answer
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 05:53 PM

I've been using the Ike Delay series rods from Abu for topwater and like them. Not usually a fan of Abu rods, but I've been pleased with these (6'4" & 6'6")
Posted By: wh2004

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mwbasser
Same rod you use for a jerkbait, kinda vague but that’s my best answer

I don’t have a jerk bait rod. So what do you use for jerk bait/spook?
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 06:38 PM

I throw it on a 7' mh Duckett Ghost but just about any rod with decent backbone and a med soft tip would work. The same rod you use for square bills would work too.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 08:32 PM

I like a bigger rod 7'-6" MH impulse rod is what i usually use always with braid, the big spooks have big hooks and you need to drive the hooks home. Plus you can bomb the spook and still get a hook in them far away.

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
I like a bigger rod 7'-6" MH impulse rod is what i usually use always with braid, the big spooks have big hooks and you need to drive the hooks home. Plus you can bomb the spook and still get a hook in them far away.

True, I just like a little shorter rod. I'm only 5'11 and those long rods are harder for me to control. I keep my hooks razor sharp and that med heavy is fine for me. I bet you taller guys would like the longer rods for sure.

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:19 PM

I’m 5’6”
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

True, I just like a little shorter rod. I'm only 5'11 and those long rods are harder for me to control. I keep my hooks razor sharp and that med heavy is fine for me. I bet you taller guys would like the longer rods for sure.

Yup MH is a good action for them I am not a fan of a Medium action unless your using really small spooks with lighter wire hooks.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:29 PM

I like a 7’ medium action rod. 6.3 reel and 15lb big game.
Posted By: Big Dawg

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:40 PM

Dobyns Champion 734C.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 09:54 PM

Loomis IMX 783.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 10:52 PM

Dobyns 705CB Glass is my preference
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Spook rod - 09/10/20 11:09 PM

Like any technique, depends on what you are fishing around. Open water or thick cover/grass. Lately I’ve been fishing around thick hydrilla with a spook and braid and a stiffer heavier rod is necessary, otherwise, they get you bogged down in the grass. Same set up is not necessary in more open water. I’m using a Power Tackle pg 104 or FB4 around the grass.
Posted By: thetugismydrug

Re: Spook rod - 09/11/20 03:49 PM

[u][/u]I second the falcon finesse jig rod. Mine is an expert that I bought for throwing LBJ but really lacked sensitivity so now i have a over priced but great top water rod. Gonna throw jerk baits on it later in the year als9
Posted By: fish hard for fun

Re: Spook rod - 09/11/20 04:39 PM

1. A rod, reel, and line combination that make it capable to make long casts. 2. A rod that has the action to walk the spook easily at distance. 3. A rod that has the backbone to set the hooks in past the barb at distance. 4. A rod that has the power to boat the fish quickly without using a net.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Spook rod - 09/12/20 02:47 AM

A good top water rod is technique specific and often double as a jerk bait rod. Typically under 7' and a shorter handle so you don't splash the water with tip. Typically shorter handle so it doesn't snag in your pockets. I have 3 of the Lews TI series Top Water rods, pretty good rods. Little bit stiff for Jerk Baits. Waiting on the new Mega Bass Destroyer 110 specials to arrive, want a couple just for jerk baits.

Re: Spook rod - 09/12/20 03:00 AM

Thanks all
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Spook rod - 09/12/20 03:42 AM

I guess I'm old school. I like a shorter rod for jerk baits & spooks. I have an older 6' 3" Loomis Spinnerbait Rod that works well. It has a shorter handle for the reason mentioned above and I am 6' 1. It has a slower parabolic action like I like for all treble hooked baits.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Spook rod - 09/12/20 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Like any technique, depends on what you are fishing around. Open water or thick cover/grass. Lately I’ve been fishing around thick hydrilla with a spook and braid and a stiffer heavier rod is necessary, otherwise, they get you bogged down in the grass. Same set up is not necessary in more open water. I’m using a Power Tackle pg 104 or FB4 around the grass.

I’ve been throwing one until the cows came home, no bites for me. What color were you having luck with at this thick hydrilla lake? Slow walking or faster? I had a few hit a buzzbait, but that was the only topwater I could get bit on.

Re: Spook rod - 09/12/20 09:45 AM

Almost always a pearl shad color. I generally start out with a med retrieve and adjust it faster or slower to what the fish want for the day. If they are schooling I usually speed it up. Sometimes they just "don't want it"! But a Spook has always been my fav topwater!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Spook rod - 09/13/20 12:33 AM

Powell 7ft crank bait rod.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Spook rod - 09/13/20 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mo_Cat
A good top water rod is technique specific and often double as a jerk bait rod. Typically under 7' and a shorter handle so you don't splash the water with tip. Typically shorter handle so it doesn't snag in your pockets. I have 3 of the Lews TI series Top Water rods, pretty good rods. Little bit stiff for Jerk Baits. Waiting on the new Mega Bass Destroyer 110 specials to arrive, want a couple just for jerk baits.

The MB Destroyer OneTen Specials are great for jerkbaits and built with the 110 in mind. The MB Destroyer Otomat is probably the best all around topwater rod I have thrown.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Spook rod - 09/13/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

The MB Destroyer OneTen Specials are great for jerkbaits and built with the 110 in mind. The MB Destroyer Otomat is probably the best all around topwater rod I have thrown.

Where did you get your destroyer?? Megabass Destroyer USA Casting Rod 6'11" Medium Oneten Special, Cant even get my hands on this.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Spook rod - 09/13/20 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Where did you get your destroyer?? Megabass Destroyer USA Casting Rod 6'11" Medium Oneten Special, Cant even get my hands on this.

I've worked with Megabass for the past 8 years now. I get everything direct from them. I tested the Otomat when it was still a prototype and I was happy when it made the cut to get in the lineup.
We will have the Destroyers back in stock late winter. Just having supply chain issues as most rod brands are right now.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Spook rod - 09/13/20 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
I guess I'm old school. I like a shorter rod for jerk baits & spooks. I have an older 6' 3" Loomis Spinnerbait Rod that works well. It has a shorter handle for the reason mentioned above and I am 6' 1. It has a slower parabolic action like I like for all treble hooked baits.

LOL I didn't think anyone other than myself still had a 6'3" Loomis spinner bait rod. Good to know Im not the only one that still has that rod.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum