Texas Fishing Forum

Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced

Posted By: KenTx1962

Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 02:25 PM

Guys point of clarification. I'm not a spokesman for Minn Kota....they have no idea who I am, but the guys at Jones call this a recall. I think what this boils down to is when mine started going out earlier this year shops weren't supposed to replace until they went out completely, until the actually fully fail. I "think" they are caught up on parts now and if you are in for service and your motor is in warranty they will replace the sensor even if it hasn't failed...Just my two cents/guess!

Posted By: Rog

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 04:09 PM

Ken. Good information as always. I just got a new ultrex and had the momentary button on the foot pedal stop working intermittently on week two. The cause was the ribbon cable that goes to the main board had gotten crimped close to where it plugs into the button under the pedal. Therefore it would work intermittently depending on how the pedal was positioned. When I was in spot lock and it occurred it would kick off spot lock. I could use the remote or constant on when this happened as only the momentary button was affected. Sharing in case others have problem. The control board under the pedal had to be replaced.
Posted By: popcork

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 04:44 PM

If you unplug the steering sensor in the foot pedal you can continue using the motor through the remote, otherwise it will go to one place and lock down. I think they have got this fixed with the new sensors.
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 04:47 PM

Thanks guys, both great tips!
Posted By: reed35

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 05:47 PM

Good Info!!!
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 05:57 PM

I have a two year old Ultrex and am on my third steering board now. The last one that was installed in May is the new style replacement board, hopefully it cures the problem, time will tell. Every time the steering board failed I was able to use the remote to steer while I was waiting on parts. I did not have to unplug anything to be able to steer with the remote.
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/09/20 11:05 PM

Good info....just fyi, I called Minn Kota this morning to inquire about the replacement sensor board, I gave the serial number from my unit which was manufactured in June 2018, was told my unit already had the replacement sensor board. Also, my unit isn't having any issues, just wanted to make sure.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/11/20 06:26 PM

I just received this email today from Minnkota, not sure where these guys got their info.

There has been a bit of misinformation going around revolving the issue with the Ultrex foot pedal. There is not a recall on the sensor board in the foot pedal, but being as we have seen issues occurring with some of the boards, if you were to have issues with your foot pedal this would be a part that we will be replace free of charge under warranty, even if your motor is outside of the original warranty. It is not guaranteed that the part will fail and the majority do not, but if it does in the future outside of your original warranty, we will take care of you.
Posted By: Newly Retired

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/12/20 08:36 PM

Already had the problem on my 18 month old ultrex. Toledo Bend Fiberglass got me fixed and back on the water in an hour, great guys there.
Posted By: C.Seymour

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/15/20 09:39 PM

This is happening to mine all of a sudden, started Saturday. Will only turn quickly to the right, very slow and hard to the left. If I had to do it all over again, with the competition on the market, not so sure I would go with an Ultrex, been to the shop twice in the last year.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/16/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
I just received this email today from Minnkota, not sure where these guys got their info.

There has been a bit of misinformation going around revolving the issue with the Ultrex foot pedal. There is not a recall on the sensor board in the foot pedal, but being as we have seen issues occurring with some of the boards, if you were to have issues with your foot pedal this would be a part that we will be replace free of charge under warranty, even if your motor is outside of the original warranty. It is not guaranteed that the part will fail and the majority do not, but if it does in the future outside of your original warranty, we will take care of you.

Recall or not, Minn Kota is obviously aware that they have a problem... shuffling of words doesn't change that.
However, they apparently are making good on it.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Does Your Ultrex Steering Sensor Need to be Replaced - 09/16/20 12:46 AM

I need to check mine when I get time. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum