Texas Fishing Forum

hull color

Posted By: harvey walker

hull color - 09/09/20 12:53 PM

Do you think the color of your hull has an effect on bass? I sure if you sight fish it would but what about other times? If you going to buy a new boat is this some thing you think about?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 01:12 PM

No.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 01:17 PM

No I don't.

The things I consider when I buy a new boat are what color the scratches will be when they occur. Most of the time they are white or very light grey. A black bottom boat looks good but shows every little scratch.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 01:37 PM

Nah. I just want what looks cool. Love the look of the black hull, but it does make scratches stand out.

They know when there's a boat nearby. I don't think the color of the hull or sides makes a big difference in their behavior.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by harvey walker
Do you think the color of your hull has an effect on bass? I sure if you sight fish it would but what about other times? If you going to buy a new boat is this some thing you think about?

Absolutely it does. How cool do you want to look? White is so 1980s.

A black hull means you're willing to get it scratched up and deal with the consequences. Bass have an inherent understanding of this and will respect you for it.

If you're truly crazy.... go flat black. dance2
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
No.
Posted By: Shaky Horn

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 02:14 PM

I go black because of the tannic East Texas water. It can stain lighter colored hulls over time
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 02:28 PM

Knowing bass as well as I do, different bass types and sizes prefer different boat colors, depending also
on the water temperature... freak
Posted By: bassnman

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 02:30 PM

I have read that you should get white or light blue (to look like the sky) but i don't believe it. What ever color it is the boat casts a shadow. Most shadows bass look up at are stumps which are usually brown. I buy what I hope doesnt show dirt and scratches.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 02:46 PM

I prefer black and had a white hull before...seems the white reflected light more and spooked fish earlier in clear water lakes.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 04:05 PM

Doesn't make a difference to the fish. Get white ... easier to care for.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 04:06 PM

nope
Posted By: Chris B

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 04:47 PM

Prefer black so I don’t have to clean mud lines off the bottom.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 05:17 PM

Had my boat a months or so and getting tired of cleaning that stain line on my white bottom already.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 05:46 PM

Stain lines? Take 2 towels to the lake with you. When you load up toss one to your partner. Wipe the boat down while it is STILL WET. Takes about 5 minutes and it's gone.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 05:47 PM

I don't think it matters to fish especially most non clear water lakes. Now possibly clear water lakes, i feel like silver flake might scare fish sooner if the sun is hitting it., But that is just me.

white shows's a scum line easily, black shows scratches easy. I prefer Grey bottom because its in the middle of those other 2 options.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 05:48 PM

I know all about white hulls and the brown water stains in Texas water. I think I would go for a dark color hull on my next boat.
Posted By: 361V

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 07:00 PM

What color makes my 21’ Ranger disappear to bass with the trolling motor buzzing, depth finder pinging......🤔😜
Posted By: FishAdmirer

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 09:01 PM

The very white bottom of my boat does allow for a serious scum line. Thankfully, it wipes off pretty easily as mentioned above.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Had my boat a months or so and getting tired of cleaning that stain line on my white bottom already.

If you use Bass Boat Saver, it makes cleaning a lot easier.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 09:42 PM

Been using Hot Sauce. Will try the other when I’m out.
It’s not hard to clean. Just gets dirty easy.
Posted By: Dan21XRS

Re: hull color - 09/09/20 11:24 PM

No the fish don't care...

Grey is the easiest color to keep looking clean and the easiest to fix scratches... My white hull wore me out trying to keep it nice looking... Black hulls are sharp, show scratches and from what a fiberglass guy told me the hardest to match when doing a repair... I keep a black Sharpie in the boat to help hide minor scratches...
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004

Go to the dollar store and get a bottle of "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. You will need to get you a spray bottle to put it in to spray the hull. Spray it on the hull, wait about 3-5 minutes, then go over it with the foaming brush at the car wash then rinse it off. Very easy.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 12:14 AM

Yes it matters. On my next boat I want the hull color in bluefleck or watermelon red.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.
No I don't.

The things I consider when I buy a new boat are what color the scratches will be when they occur. Most of the time they are white or very light grey. A black bottom boat looks good but shows every little scratch.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
Stain lines? Take 2 towels to the lake with you. When you load up toss one to your partner. Wipe the boat down while it is STILL WET. Takes about 5 minutes and it's gone.

This is exactly what I do. Then, when you get home, use a little slick mist or bass boat saver on it once it’s in the garage and boat is just like new again.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

Yes it matters. On my next boat I want the hull color in bluefleck.

With a little chartreuse on the tail...depending on the water color! LOL!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 01:53 PM

Never owned anything but a white hull
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: hull color - 09/10/20 09:34 PM

I have been a fan of my black hull, but it for sure shows every stump scuff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum