Texas Fishing Forum

Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR

Posted By: RCxpress

Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 06:03 PM

Trying to decide which trolling motor shaft length is appropriate for Skeeter FXR. My previous boat had a 52" shaft, which I would have to raise up when fishing very shallow (Tawakoni). This is a minor inconvenience, but at times the trolling motor head was high enough that it affected my casting. On the other hand I never recall any issue with the motor coming out of the water in big wave fishing offshore. Any Skeeter owners out there that have experience with 45" shaft on the new R boats? Anyone purchase a 45" and regret it?

Thanks
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 06:12 PM

I went with the 45" version on my ZXR20 I pick up this next week. I had the 52" on my ZX250 that I traded in. I fish shallow more often than not it was in my way especially pitching and flipping.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 06:46 PM

I have a Skeeter 225. I fish a lot of open water. The MK Ulterra 45" was a mistake for me, mine comes out of the water pretty often in any kind of rough water
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 07:19 PM

If you fish offshore any, you need the 52”. It’s not that big of deal for me to adjust TM to raise in shallow water and I’m an old and fat guy....I fish more offshore, though, with exception of spawn.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 07:38 PM

Tough decision for me also. I'm running a 52" right now and hate it for fishing shallow. But on those few days I'm fishing offshore and the wind is blowing it's great.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 07:48 PM

45 was a mistake for me.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/06/20 08:53 PM

Having the extra shaft length is critical and worth the small annoyance of it sticking up higher in shallow water. It's hard to hold on a spot when your trolling motor is coming up out of the water. I have an older skeeter but its going to be close to the same on any boat. 45" is too short to fish in the wind.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/07/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
If you fish offshore any, you need the 52”. It’s not that big of deal for me to adjust TM to raise in shallow water and I’m an old and fat guy....I fish more offshore, though, with exception of spawn.

Agreed. (I meant on needing the 52 not you being old & fat)

roflmao
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/07/20 03:02 PM

I went with the 45" on the ultrex. I figured of the wind was blowing so hard that the 45" was coming out of the water, I didn't be out there!
Posted By: Walls

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/07/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

roflmao

+1 to all of the above.
Posted By: RCxpress

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/07/20 06:59 PM

Thanks this really helps. Sounds like 52” will suit my needs best.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/07/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

roflmao

With friends like you, who needs enemies?
Posted By: Skeeter man ZX225

Re: Tolling Motor Shaft Length for Skeeter FXR/ZXR - 09/08/20 12:05 PM

You can always raise the trolling motor if it is too far down so you can fish shallow, you may decide to fish deep more often and want the longer shaft.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum