Texas Fishing Forum

Leaving boat to retrieve a fish

Posted By: TBassYates

Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 05:12 PM

I am wondering everyone’s thoughts on being able to leave a boat to retrieve a hooked fish. I watch a ton of videos and I guess was just not aware of when it started being OK to actually leave your boat to go get a hooked fish, wading shallow water, walking on piers, swimming down into brush etc. Maybe I am just a little too much old school but just don’t agree with this. You hook a fish, you bring it to the boat and get it into the boat.
How do you feel about this?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 05:17 PM

I feel like it will be in the tournament rules; if it is not allowed.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 06:34 PM

I know on MLF it is allowed with a penalty. If the fish can not be brought to the boat it will probably break off and may die so I am ok with the rule with a penalty as long as their is a witness or polygraph to verify that it was actually the fish that was hooked and not a planted fish...
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 06:37 PM

I think the advent of MLF style rules has changed that somewhat since they are assessed a penalty. In most standard team events it is still not allowed and is against the rules. I think in BASS it’s still against the rules. Bottom line is that it’s up to every trail to address this issue explicitly in writing and anglers to read the rules and understand them. If it’s not in writing in the rules than technically an angler can leave the boat to retrieve a fish, although most guys fishing in the majority of larger team trails probably wouldn’t do it anyway IMO.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 08:17 PM

I’ll do it fun fishing when I either want the bait back or it’s a big fish. I won’t walk on peoples dock though, maybe step on it but not walk around on it. Private property is where I draw the line.

For tournaments I say stay in the boat. But the guy who jumped in and kicked it lose from a brush pile on BPT was entertaining. Mainly because it was a good fish, probably wouldn’t have felt the same if he came up with Mo Little Fish.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 08:58 PM

Too old for thar😬
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 10:07 PM

I've done it several times. Especially back in the 90's flipping jigs in the cedar trees at Fork. The only time i wouldn't is in a tournament that has it in the rules
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 10:15 PM

Fallen outta the boat a few times but never to land a fish. I don't have a problem with it as long as the rules allow it. One of the best fish landing videos I have ever seen was Iaconelli jumping outta the boat to grab the line on a fish that just broke off. He held onto the side of the boat when he went in so technically he didn't lose contact with the boat. BASS ruled it a legal catch.

https://youtu.be/NvdQYnnr1s4

Love him or hate him, that was awesome.
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/04/20 11:20 PM

That was the most athletic thing I've ever seen a fisherman do!! Can you imagine most of those guys trying a stunt like that?
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/05/20 12:13 AM

All for it. If angler hooks and it gets wrapped and unable to free, then yes. No penalties. Why let the fish stay wrapped and potentially die. BLM too!
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/05/20 09:34 PM

Many years ago, when I was much younger and Rayburn had just filled up and was really clear, I had a fish wrapped in a small tree. I could see it so I stripped down to my drawers and over I went. I had to go about 3 feet under the water to where the fish was and when I got to it, it decided to come right in front of my face with a mouth full of treble hooks on the Redfin. Scared me but scared the fish worse than me that it tore loose and swam away. I never went into the water again ! Those trebles sure did look BIG...!
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/06/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Polly Gosh Lizard
Many years ago, when I was much younger and Rayburn had just filled up and was really clear, I had a fish wrapped in a small tree. I could see it so I stripped down to my drawers and over I went. I had to go about 3 feet under the water to where the fish was and when I got to it, it decided to come right in front of my face with a mouth full of treble hooks on the Redfin. Scared me but scared the fish worse than me that it tore loose and swam away. I never went into the water again ! Those trebles sure did look BIG...!

eeks
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/07/20 03:37 AM

I think it should be legal.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Leaving boat to retrieve a fish - 09/07/20 04:29 AM

Most yall are full on #4 from McDonald's and cant get back into a boat unless its beached. Just cause you
Can't do it doesn't mean it should be illegal.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum