Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer Tire Question??

Posted By: metalruch1

Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:22 PM

I recently replaced my factory tires/rims with new ones... I have a 99 BassCat Pantera Classic... long story short...the INSIDE of the Fender and the INSIDE of the Tire (Sidewall) have very little space between them... Same size tires and rims...only changes was this... the original rims/tires had Spacers on them...Discount Tire would not put them back on... On the trip home, I had no issues, however, I just don't feel like the space now is safe...

How much SPACE should be between that area... the top of the tire to the fender is fine and no rubbing... there is no rubbing now, but a quick turn would cause flex and possibly severe rubbing.

Hopefully, I am explaining this correctly... any thoughts on running spacers? Types of spacers and brands?

I know that the majority of people say spacers are unsafe... however, I ran the original set up for 3 years and no issues...just want your valued opinions.

Thanks!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:45 PM

if it came with the spacers from the factory then put them back on if you need to.

sounds like the rims don't have the proper offset/backspacing.

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
if it came with the spacers from the factory then put them back on if you need to.

I think its the offset as well... However, I am trying to get a gauge of how much space SHOULD be between that area...Thanks for the reply brotha!!
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:52 PM

Automotive or trailer world. Not a single one come with wheel spacers. Someone put them there when they changed out wheels with the wrong offset. If new tire / wheel combo isn't rubbing then don't worry about it.

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Automotive or trailer world. Not a single one come with wheel spacers. Someone put them there when they changed out wheels with the wrong offset. If new tire / wheel combo isn't rubbing then don't worry about it.

for sure... its not rubbing...but there is really no space between there... it has me worried that a bad bump or quick maneuver would make them rub extremely bad and cause a blow out... but, I may be overthinking it...
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 03:59 PM

Dead blow hammer will fix that haha, but seriously mine rub a little under the fenders and I've never had a tire issue in 5 years, get good heavy ply trailer tires like goodyear endurance and don't sweat the small stuff.
Posted By: dkestes

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 04:14 PM

Not sure if this the solution for you, but the same thing happened on my '98 Ranger trailer after I had Goodyear Endurance tires installed. They were the same size tires as the Maxxis tires I replaced but for some reason there was almost no clearance between the tires & fender wells. I took the trailer to Mcgills in Lewisville & they welded extended leaf spring hangers on it. Have not had any rubbing issues.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/04/20 04:52 PM

I would put the spacers back on , but that is just me.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/05/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit 200 XP
I would put the spacers back on , but that is just me.

I second that. My dad has an early 2000's Pantera Classic with a single axle trailer and we've unintentionally chewed the sidewalls off of very nice tires before going through some twisty highways at posted speed. Didn't notice what happened until we stopped and smelled burned rubber while walking by the boat.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/07/20 12:51 AM

Nascar uses spacers all time so they can't be all bad. If they were there I would put them back and if they were not there I would add them.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Trailer Tire Question?? - 09/07/20 02:31 AM

If it were me and I was unsure about the lack of clearance becoming a future issue, I would take it to McGills Lewisville and let the professionals assess it. They’re good and then you won’t have to worry about ruining a new set of tires or damaging fender.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum