Texas Fishing Forum

runoff and water temp?

Posted By: Rockfisherman

runoff and water temp? - 09/02/20 01:18 PM

I have read many times that in the early spring, fish will pull up where there is rainwater runoff
due to the water being warmer than what is already in the lake...............What about late summer
and the water being cooler than what is in the lake? Will they pull up to the runoff from big rains
(like this week) because the runoff is cooler than the lake water?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/02/20 01:19 PM

Get you some dark colored worms and go up the creeks as far as you can.
Posted By: 361V

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/02/20 04:26 PM

Go as far up Squaw Creek on Squaw Creek Lake right now an you will catch a ton of fish.....oh, never mind!
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/03/20 01:18 PM

They will absolutely relate to cool water running into the lake. Doesn't have to be up the river either. Can be something as simple as a drain from a road or neighborhood rushing water into a lake. This is especially true in a situation like right now where we are getting rain water coming into lakes that are really warm. One of may biggest bags ever was on Granbury running areas that had water rushing into the lake after a big rain. Not sure if those fish are there for the cooler oxygenated water or for food but it really doesn't matter as long as they are in a feeding mood. Same concept is true up the rivers it just lasts longer and the inflow is on a larger scale. You do get to a point that the inflow may muddy up the water to a point that it shuts the bite off for a spell though. Timing is everything.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/03/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
They will absolutely relate to cool water running into the lake. Doesn't have to be up the river either. Can be something as simple as a drain from a road or neighborhood rushing water into a lake. This is especially true in a situation like right now where we are getting rain water coming into lakes that are really warm. One of may biggest bags ever was on Granbury running areas that had water rushing into the lake after a big rain. Not sure if those fish are there for the cooler oxygenated water or for food but it really doesn't matter as long as they are in a feeding mood. Same concept is true up the rivers it just lasts longer and the inflow is on a larger scale. You do get to a point that the inflow may muddy up the water to a point that it shuts the bite off for a spell though. Timing is everything.

Grew up fishing Granbury. That was always a good pattern after a rain. I don't know how many fish i caught in the back of the pocket at Winn Dixie rocks when water was running
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/03/20 02:07 PM

Absolutely
Posted By: texastkikker

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/03/20 02:54 PM

Yes they will associate with it. I have a small pond in the backyard, appx. 1/8 of an acre.....I can easily cast across it. The next door neighbor has one as well, and when it rains bad, his over flows into a ditch, then when the ditch gets backed up it overflows and goes into my pond. A couple years ago it was still flowing then next day after the rain and I went out there to check everything out. had 5 bass sitting right where the water flowed into just waiting......caught 3 of them on a TX rig...LOL.
Posted By: Rockfisherman

Re: runoff and water temp? - 09/03/20 07:39 PM

Very good..............all you guys all go hunting this weekend.........I will take care
of the lakes for you.......:)

Thanks for the insight
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum