Texas Fishing Forum

Chatter baits

Posted By: Jchssm47

Chatter baits - 08/31/20 03:34 AM

I can not get a chatter bait to move through the water to save my life what am I doing wrong. When I first cast a can feel it vibrating for the first few turns then nothing and when it gets close to the boat it has been rolling like a alligator. I have tried 6-1 all the way to almost 9-1 reels it don’t matter if it’s on a 6’6 pole or a 7’5
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 11:06 AM

my first question would be is it the zman brand or another brand? i have almost zero luck with other brands working correctly especially ones with the holes in them. other than that what kind of trailer are you using? I've had them get fouled and would cause twist before. i love chatterbaits(zman) and usually don't see them rolling.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
my first question would be is it the zman brand or another brand? i have almost zero luck with other brands working correctly especially ones with the holes in them. other than that what kind of trailer are you using? I've had them get fouled and would cause twist before. i love chatterbaits(zman) and usually don't see them rolling.

^^^This^^^
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 11:56 AM

Jack hammers work well. They cost too much though.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Jack hammers work well. They cost too much though.

Try the Project Z version. About half the price and work just as well.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 01:41 PM

Just checking all the sources that will cause it not to preform:
- The line tie clip is on the bottom side of the blade.
- Do not over load the bait with a large trailer.
- Less strands of skirt material make them work better.
- Blades with the wholes tend to break the wobble pattern.
- The split ring does not fit the whole of the jig head. It must have ample room to keep from getting out of position. Make sure all of the paint is removed from the eye of the jig for the split ring to work freely.
- Make sure the blade is not on upside down if it has the nose bend in the blade.
- A quick pop of the bait will usually put it back into action, if any component gets out of alignment.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 09:56 PM

I've never had that issue with any of the brands I have tried.

Make sure you are tying to the right side of the tie clip. When I first started using them, I made that mistake a few times.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 10:44 PM

Never had that problem. Sounds like the loop tie is sticking or something. Probably aliens.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Chatter baits - 08/31/20 11:33 PM

If it's a Zman, Jackhammer, or Phenix, you shouldn't be having this problem. If it's one of those brands, I'd start trouble shooting, beginning with possibility that your selected trailer is overpowering your bait.

If it's another brand, a lot of the brands on the market just don't run that well, especially at higher speeds.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Chatter baits - 09/01/20 12:28 AM

Never had that happen
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: Chatter baits - 09/01/20 12:50 AM

Any in the zman line should work fine. Strike kings work, booyah one is garbage. I stick to jack hammers
Posted By: Jchssm47

Re: Chatter baits - 09/01/20 01:41 AM

I have been tying on the top loop🤦🏻‍♂️ Thank you guys for the input as always!!
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Chatter baits - 09/01/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by jbcarroll3000
If it's a Zman, Jackhammer, or Phenix, you shouldn't be having this problem. If it's one of those brands, I'd start trouble shooting, beginning with possibility that your selected trailer is overpowering your bait.

If it's another brand, a lot of the brands on the market just don't run that well, especially at higher speeds.

This right here...Never had a problem with any of the above. I also have some custom bladed jigs that run true as the ZMan brands.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum