Texas Fishing Forum

Tell me why this wouldn’t work

Posted By: Chris_K

Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:17 PM

Hooking up a 1200 watt inverter to the motor battery(only turn on while engine is running)to power the onboard charger for trolling motor batteries.

I’m looking for a cheaper charging solution than a generator.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:37 PM

How long are you going to be running the big motor?
I doubt that you will see any benefit running the limited time that most run the big motor. Unless you are at Rayburn or T-bend, most of our lakes just aren't big enough to make a run long enough to charge anything.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:37 PM

http://www.stealth1charging.com/#:~:text=Stealth%201%20Charging%20ChargTech%20Industries,power%2C%20and%20Healthier%20batteries%20!!!&text=And%20here%20it%20is%20!!!&text=Stealth1%20gives%20all%20the%20power,the%20batteries%20still%20protecting%20them.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
I doubt that you will see any benefit running the limited time that most run the big motor. Unless you are at Rayburn or T-bend, most of our lakes just aren't big enough to make a run long enough to charge anything.

I’m just trying to come up with a solution for charging during an upcoming camping trip. Hate to buy a generator that I’ll never use
Posted By: shotgunwilly

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:41 PM

I'm no electrical engineer, but I'm thinking you would need more like 4400 watts for a 4 bank/10amp per bank charger.

40 amp output * 110v = 4400 watts
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_K

I’m just trying to come up with a solution for charging during an upcoming camping trip. Hate to buy a generator that I’ll never use

sounds like you would use it on the camping trip
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 04:55 PM

whole lot better deal here.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/20875/Minn-Kota-On-Board-DC-Alternator-Chargers.html

Minn Kota MK-3-DC (3 Bank)
DC Alternator Charger
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_K

Can you just rent one from Home Depot?
Posted By: MV

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 09:00 PM

Might be tuff to find a generator . Hurricane demand
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/27/20 10:42 PM

Just suck it up and buy some 100ah lithiums lol
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Tell me why this wouldn’t work - 08/28/20 02:23 AM

Your main problem is converted amperage. Your converting 12 volts to 120 volts. a 1:10 conversion. If your A/C charger runs 3 amps charging the 3 batteries, thats 30 amps being pulled off your single cranking battery. Thats why most solar systems use 48 or higher battery setup. Your trolling batteries are hooked up in series but charge in parallel. You would be better to get a DC charger or just hook your motor charger to each battery. But will wear down your alternator faster. I always wanted to make a device like a wind turbine that turned in the water while the boat was moving and would charge the batteries.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum