Texas Fishing Forum

bass boat tubing

Posted By: plk1122

bass boat tubing - 08/22/20 10:21 PM

Hey folks,

Real quick, we are having a family lake day tomorrow and i was thinking of pulling a tube for the kids with my bass boat, has anyone done this? Is it a good idea? Any risk to the boat? I plan to tie on to the trailer tie down rings on the boat (whatever they are called). I also thought of attaching to the back cleats.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And not a big deal if the kids can't tube.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/22/20 11:06 PM

Use the transom hooks with a Y harness.
Been yanking my kids around all day today. No issues.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/23/20 12:25 AM

Use the tie down rings and not the docking cleats. The bigger the tube, the more stress it puts on your transom. If your transom is soft, it will be soft and wobbly after pulling a tube. I learned the hard way with a soft transom and supersized tube pulling multiple kids at once. If your transom is in good shape, everything will be fine.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/23/20 03:02 PM

Use the trailer tie down rings on transom, definitely try to find tandem hook up that goes into one rope behind the motor with a float on it.....and y’all have fun!
Have done it with all of my boats, no issues
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/23/20 10:18 PM

be careful of standing timber under the water and floating logs.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/23/20 11:49 PM

Be forewarned that it may take a while to come out of the hole, and your planing speed may be higher than a comfortable ride on the tube. If you can, borrow a lower pitched prop, probably 2-3” and preferably a 4 blade. That will help hotshot and lower the plane speed.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/24/20 03:39 AM

Lol you got to be kidding me... We're going as far as, get/borrow a different prop for pulling a tube!

Hook the tube onto the transom and pull it. Jesus lol. Unless your trying to pull a tube during a tournament, I seriously doubt the kids care what your holeshot or plane speed is.

Have fun, stay out of stump fields and away from bridges. You don't have to competely overhaul the boat to pull a floating piece of plastic like some of these people want you to think.

Some of you people just blow my mind away on here lol
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/24/20 04:21 AM

I guess I'm glad I bought a Center Console instead of a Bass Boat if I would be worried about pulling a tube with one. We had an 18 ft runabout with a Mec 110 when I was a kid and we pulled more than a few big guys up on a slalom for years. It took forever to get em up and the boat on plane. That boat never had a freakin transom problem. Geez, are bass boats made of plywood and Elmer's glue?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/24/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by wh2004
Use the transom hooks with a Y harness.
Been yanking my kids around all day today. No issues.

This^^^^^^^
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/24/20 12:55 PM

Use pool noodles to float the cables out of the way of the prop... thumb
Posted By: BMCD

Re: bass boat tubing - 08/24/20 01:07 PM

Did it for many years, with several boats, and with my kids and with Power poles. Now granted we could not swing the kids as hard as they would have liked with poles.

Holeshot, just depends on each boat's setup. When we went tubing I usually removed all of my fishing stuff. Never really had an issue.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum