Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha SHO 250?

Posted By: jbassman

Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/22/20 07:53 PM

First time owning a 4 stroke. 17 model. What do I have to do for maintenance? Oil? 250 on a cat
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/22/20 08:00 PM

Oil, filters, and impeller.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/22/20 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Oil, filters, and impeller.

This^ and if it starts running rough, not wanting to accelerate, change the spark plugs. cheers
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/23/20 01:17 PM

Read the "Engine Owners Manual". That would be where I'd start.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/23/20 03:22 PM

If you don’t know when it was done change lower unit lube. Make sure you use the HD lower unit lube for replacement.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/23/20 04:31 PM

I would assume no maintenance has been done and just do it all now. Something as simple as changing the lower unit grease could show a potential water intrusion issue and save you $3-4K.

Additionally, if you have an issue and you haven't done recommended maintenance they could deny your warranty claim.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/23/20 07:30 PM

Gotta love a 2 stroke... Add oil to the tank and go.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/23/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
..... and more oil, and more oil...then change the plugs, filters, plug wires, lower unit oil, and
Impeller.

What point are you trying to lake? Haha that a 2-stroke needs nothing, ever? If a 2-stroke was great, you’d still be able to buy one on a bass boat.
Posted By: jafish

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/24/20 03:35 PM

Two strokes are loud and smoke. Old technology for boats compared to 4 stroke. One day they will not be allowed on any lake in the USA. I own a two stroke and don’t want to. Just bought a new to me Yamaha four stroke and what a wonderful difference it has made. Quite and sooooo smooth. No stinking oil smell. You can set in the boat and carry on a normal conversation with someone in the next seat without needing to talk over your two stroke. I liked my two stroke until I got my four stroke and I love it. You will too when you get one. If you haven’t owned a four stroke you can’t possible realize the amazing difference. I didn’t but I do now and so does everyone that has a four stroke. Sorry but that is just the way it is.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/24/20 04:31 PM

I don’t care if you have a 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke.. should be doing that service schedule listed above, especially the annual:100 hour service. No personal experience with the 4 strokes yet but like stated previously, everyone I know with one absolutely loves them. I like how quiet they are, but man I do love the smell of a little puff of smoke out of a 2 stroke first thing in the morning.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/24/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jafish

Two strokes are loud and smoke. Old technology for boats compared to 4 stroke. One day they will not be allowed on any lake in the USA. I own a two stroke and don’t want to. Just bought a new to me Yamaha four stroke and what a wonderful difference it has made. Quite and sooooo smooth. No stinking oil smell. You can set in the boat and carry on a normal conversation with someone in the next seat without needing to talk over your two stroke. I liked my two stroke until I got my four stroke and I love it. You will too when you get one. If you haven’t owned a four stroke you can’t possible realize the amazing difference. I didn’t but I do now and so does everyone that has a four stroke. Sorry but that is just the way it is.

Newer DI 2 strokes don't smoke and aren't all that loud. Heck the E-Tecs even beat 4 strokes when it comes to emissions.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Yamaha SHO 250? - 08/24/20 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by jafish

Newer DI 2 strokes don't smoke and aren't all that loud. Heck the E-Tecs even beat 4 strokes when it comes to emissions.

On that note,my etec would run circles around my 250SHO, was quite and seemed to just sip oil. Ran it for 7 years and it was flawless.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum