Texas Fishing Forum

Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21

Posted By: KenTx1962

Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 02:24 PM

Guys this is the first in the series, reviewing the Bass Cat Puma Hybrid which is the boat with the Champion 203 style hull under it. In the future ones i won't do the start where I go through all the criteria, but I wanted to show you what I'm looking at as I drive and fish in the boat each day. I'll drop part 2 tomorrow.

Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 02:58 PM

dude with first world problems rolleyes
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 03:22 PM

This is a great idea...give an outsider's look to all available options.
Posted By: Tjbev13

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 04:07 PM

Man, I've really tried hard but there is nothing I like about a basscat sick
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tjbev13

the beauty of a free market, we have a lot of choices
Posted By: Vetbassman

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 04:41 PM

Thanks, great information.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 05:04 PM

Thought it was funny when he said he was surprised that the Basscat was faster than his Ranger!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Champion1
Thought it was funny when he said he was surprised that the Basscat was faster than his Ranger!

He was probably referring to the Champion hull.

I doubt he ever thought his (or any Ranger) would keep up with a true Bass Cat! cheers

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 05:57 PM

Definitely referencing the Champ hull Cat. Darren Roberts went by me running up the lake in his Cat and it was like when one of those Warthogs dives on you over at Toledo, scared the poo out of me.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 06:06 PM

Ken I meant to mention this to you. Can you check the back wash on each boat as if you were running hard and pulled the kill switch? Another good criteria on ride.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tjbev13

not even the quality?

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 08:20 PM

Fivebites I will, wish i had thought of that before I started this!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 09:30 PM

so the 203 hybrid hull is the champ and the BC hulls melded together. it's not a recreation of the old 203 hull. No cut corners etc. like a champ.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 09:52 PM

Definitely talking about the Champion hull
This 203 Hybrid May be the slowest of the BassCat line but has the better ride, which is the bonus
I like the idea
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 10:07 PM

thumb
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/20/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by fivebites
Ken I meant to mention this to you. Can you check the back wash on each boat as if you were running hard and pulled the kill switch? Another good criteria on ride.

If there is a lot of backwash, what does that indicate? My 99 Pantera Classic gets a lot of backwash when I have to stop abruptly. Ken, great stuff! The 203 Hybrid is going to be in my garage someday... just gotta wait a few years...
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/22/20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by metalruch1

If there is a lot of backwash, what does that indicate? My 99 Pantera Classic gets a lot of backwash when I have to stop abruptly. Ken, great stuff! The 203 Hybrid is going to be in my garage someday... just gotta wait a few years...

It's probably a small detail, but it does reflect on the design concept. I ran a 202 Champ for 20 years and it had very little back wash. In two Legends since and both have pretty bad back washes. It's a pain, especially if you're tournament fishing and running spot to spot. Just another little thing I look for when buying my next boat. To each his own I guess.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/22/20 11:51 AM

A loaded down boat in the rear will always have backwash in my experience. Put 4 batteries, fuel, live wells, 2 guys, poles, it adds up
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/22/20 12:41 PM

I was really surprised by the narrow front deck on the Cat. My 19 and a half foot Champ has much more width/room. Am waiting on part deux . Also interested in the Charger Elite although being the true champ hull will be slower.

Note around 2000 Champ broadened their beam which diminished ride quality but improved fishability by helping lessen the quirky roll when standing on the gunwale which you noticed in part 1 of the BC Hybrid assessment.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/22/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by metalruch1

It's probably a small detail, but it does reflect on the design concept. I ran a 202 Champ for 20 years and it had very little back wash. In two Legends since and both have pretty bad back washes. It's a pain, especially if you're tournament fishing and running spot to spot. Just another little thing I look for when buying my next boat. To each his own I guess.

Three Cats & 5 Bullets later I learned how to blip the Hotfoot as the boat settles down so it doesn't look like I peed my pants the rest of the day from the backwash. It becomes second nature. I still do it to this day no matter what boat I'm driving.

Some of you on here are not old enough to recall the old Skeeter Starfires. All the Champs had a small amount of backwash but not nearly as bad as the old Skeeters. They would wash you out of the boat if you chopped the throttle abruptly. That's when the Skeeter design guys came up with the functional but ugly (don't hate me, I know this is Skeeter Country) sponsons on the transom. Notice the new Caymus has adopted this same design on their transom. The older narrower Tritons backwashed pretty badly if you had the wells full, 3 guys in the boat & 40 gals of gas. Earl Bentz has apparently addressed that on his new line. They look good too.

Most boats that taper toward the motor and have a narrower transom will have an issue with backwash- Bullets included. Not trying to be a know it all, just been there & done that a lot.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Great Bass Boat Search 2020-21 - 08/22/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenTx1962
Definitely referencing the Champ hull Cat. Darren Roberts went by me running up the lake in his Cat and it was like when one of those Warthogs dives on you over at Toledo, scared the poo out of me.

roflmao

Great video Ken. It is nice to have someone doing unbiased boat reviews. I know there is a lot of brand-loyalty on TFF but it is good to hear about the new boats and have someone rate them honestly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum