Texas Fishing Forum

Marty Stone - FLW

Posted By: cjbles

Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:29 PM

Watching the FLW Tackle Warehouse Pro Circuit "recorders" and am I on the only one that is annoyed by Marty Stone? He's been on MLF and now they've added him on the Tackle Warehouse Pro Circuit. I mean the guy doesn't add anything, just points out the obvious.

"The angler that is able to find the fish today and adjust to the conditions is going to do very well." REALLY????

Maybe I'm just being an @ss.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:34 PM

I cant stand to listen to him either

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SkeeterHunter

LOL! I mute or fast forward when recorded.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:44 PM

He is just trying to fill time. I'm ok with him.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:52 PM

... he is a hanger on who rides coattails... I've always thought he was kinda desperate sounding I try to tune him out
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 05:56 PM

He’s the Joe Buck of bass fishing.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 06:13 PM

has there ever been an announcer/commentator that anybody liked....must be a very difficult job...at least marty is a knowledgeable and accomphlished fisherman...fisherman
Posted By: LeonSulak

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by beartrap
has there ever been an announcer/commentator that anybody liked....must be a very difficult job...at least marty is a knowledgeable and accomphlished fisherman...fisherman

Zona,Mercer, and Fish for me.

Maybe Romo can try his hand at it in the offseason.

Posted By: Brent S

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 07:07 PM

They need an option to mute his microphone. I can't stand him.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 07:13 PM

Don't care for him
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Sounds like the Booger McFarland of bass fishing. Those Booger tweets made for some good twitter entertainment.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 08:37 PM

Can’t stand his voice/accent, I tried watching FLW on Friday and he talks way too much.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjbles
Originally Posted by SkeeterHunter

LOL! I mute or fast forward when recorded.

Same here. thumb
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 09:19 PM

Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by LeonSulak
Originally Posted by beartrap

Zona,Mercer, and Fish for me.

Maybe Romo can try his hand at it in the offseason.

thumb
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 09:28 PM

Years ago I went down to Amistad because I won a guide trip to fish with Kurt Dove. Stayed at Byron Velvicks place. The Elites had just finished their tournament there. The night I got there I was walking back to my room from dinner and Marty was there packing his truck for the ride home. He was fishing the Elites and had stayed and extra day for a sponsor commitment. I stopped to ask him about how the fishing had been. The guy stopped what he was doing and talked to me for close to a half hour. Probably the last thing he wanted was for some spare to whip his arse with a bunch of dumb questions but he was patient and friendly and knowledgeable. I'll always respect him for that.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Years ago I went down to Amistad because I won a guide trip to fish with Kurt Dove. Stayed at Byron Velvicks place. The Elites had just finished their tournament there. The night I got there I was walking back to my room from dinner and Marty was there packing his truck for the ride home. He was fishing the Elites and had stayed and extra day for a sponsor commitment. I stopped to ask him about how the fishing had been. The guy stopped what he was doing and talked to me for close to a half hour. Probably the last thing he wanted was for some spare to whip his arse with a bunch of dumb questions but he was patient and friendly and knowledgeable. I'll always respect him for that.

cheers
Posted By: irbf

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 10:29 PM

Personally I enjoy listening to him and like that accent.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/15/20 11:33 PM

He has the job and I don't. He works with people that give him advice on how to break down the lake and evaluate the fishermen's success during the day. There is only so much that a guy can do to get the basic points across to the general public. He has my respect; as all of the guys who provides the TV shows that we all enjoy watching. We all wish our world of sports could be brought to us in a more interesting fashion. It is what it is and I accept that. I take what I can use and go on down the road. He qualifies to do the job and that is all I care about.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 01:53 AM

Don't get me wrong, not saying he's a bad guy or isn't knowledgable, it's his voice that I seems to bother me the most. Agree, a hard job.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 01:59 AM

He is very talented though, he said that he could teach a monkey to talk.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 02:10 AM

I find Stone easier to watch than Mercer. While I find his stones inflection and information mundane, with Mercer always sweating and breathing hard makes me think some one should always be ready to call 911 at a moments notice. Rather them both take an extended vacation.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 02:35 AM

I don't mind him Hite is better than Stone but Stone is better than Mercer. People giving FLW [censored] for their live stuff but they are doing the most for the money they are running on, shoestring budget compared to BASS
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 02:36 AM

I don't watch much at all. Marty is fine. All those guys are there because they deserve it. They are pretty much all hard core fisherman that changed into announcers. I respect em for sure.

I do remember Marty talking about being in shape to toss a crankbait all day a while back
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 02:40 AM

Probably a nice guy but I can’t watch him as I find him annoying.
Posted By: flippinskeeter

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 03:53 AM

Hite, Sanders, and Zona are the best. Zona was way over the top years ago. I feel like he’s found a nice balance of energy and professionalism over the past few years.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 04:55 AM

I think he’s a jack hole... when MLF was fishing in deep east Texas I rode out to watch some on Lake Nacogdoches, I was close to 100 yards away from hackney and behind him... Marty rides up to me and asks that I move a couple of hundred yards further away so they could get close and interact with Hackney.. Kinda rude and uncalled for since I wasn’t that close to him to start with. I’ve never liked him since.
Posted By: Bass_Taco

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 05:14 AM

He does a great job detailing a fishing event. You all that don’t like him, you feel he isn’t sensitive to your feelings ? Seems like you are the J holes
Posted By: HasBen

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 01:08 PM

I am not a fan of his, but he has the job and I don’t. I generally record MLF anyway and tend to fast forward through the dude who does the intro wearing the vest and through most of Marty Stone’s commentary.
Posted By: cob

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 02:25 PM

Not a fan but he is better than JT Kenny.
Posted By: racing75

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by flippinskeeter
Hite, Sanders, and Zona are the best. Zona was way over the top years ago. I feel like he’s found a nice balance of energy and professionalism over the past few years.

Can’t stand Marty Stone. Zona is my favorite, listening to him and watching him fish. We’re done.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bass_Taco
He does a great job detailing a fishing event. You all that don’t like him, you feel he isn’t sensitive to your feelings ? Seems like you are the J holes

Help me out, I need to know if I’m a “J hole”, problem is... I don’t know what a “J hole” is. I guess I am one, because I think he’s horrible at speaking, but I need clarification on the j hole thing.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by flippinskeeter

Yeah I think that was when he was on cocaine
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/16/20 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I don't mind him Hite is better than Stone but Stone is better than Mercer. People giving FLW [censored] for their live stuff but they are doing the most for the money they are running on, shoestring budget compared to BASS

Lol
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 01:56 AM

I like Marty's technical assessments. He does a good job at the task he's assigned. He speaks very professionally: few if any "uh's", "ya know's", ect.

JT, however, is a nice guy, but could stand a makeover!
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Help me out, I need to know if I’m a “J hole”, problem is... I don’t know what a “J hole” is. I guess I am one, because I think he’s horrible at speaking, but I need clarification on the j hole thing.

Noun. jackhole (plural jackholes) (slang, derogatory) An obnoxious or contemptible person.

jackhole - Wiktionary
en.wiktionary.org › wiki › jackhole
Posted By: big mike

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:08 AM

I enjoy Marty and his accent.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66
Originally Posted by grout-scout

Noun. jackhole (plural jackholes) (slang, derogatory) An obnoxious or contemptible person.

jackhole - Wiktionary
en.wiktionary.org › wiki › jackhole

Well, there’s my “learn something new” for the day. Jackhole...makes zero sense. What happened to the good old days of saying “Ahole”?

Why yes, I am an Ahole and Marty Stone sucks as a professional fishing commentator.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by big mike
I enjoy Marty and his accent.

Surrreeeeee you do.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 04:02 AM

What about that Saunders girl? I guess y'all don't like her either
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 06:43 AM

I agree with you. They could just skip is segment and noone would miss it. States the obvious and makes predictions on what the winner will have to do and half the times seems to be wrong. I'd rather have that time used showing them fishing, that is what I tune in for
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by machinist
What about that Saunders girl? I guess y'all don't like her either

Unless you're watching the old shows it doesn't matter she is gone. I tend to FF through the commentary not because of the people, just to impatient to wait for the fishing. From what I have watched JT Kenney reminds me of the announcer that Jason Bateman plays in that Dodgeball Movie.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 12:03 PM

Marty does a professional job for what he has been assigned. He could be making more money in his day job I am sure. It is relatable to a golf broadcast. There is only so much the announcers can say about the weather conditions, venue conditions, and participants. Throw in some 'feel good' stories and then call what is happening at the moment and the real fans will be entertained and not necessarily care about "who" is announcing.

Personal preference plays into it too IMHO. I would rather have Davy Hite on the B.A.S.S. Live presentations than Zona but thats just me. Zona may be a great individual but put a camera or mic in his face and he comes across like a 7th grade cheerleader.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 12:15 PM

Marty, Marty, Marty, [Linked Image]
bang peep
Posted By: Outlaw Outdoors

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 12:53 PM

I cringe every time he says "wutter". roflmao
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 12:57 PM

I don't watch fishing shows that much but I've never had a problem listening to him. I just accept who I have to listen to that is MCing and check out who's winning or losing at the event.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Outdoors

He pronounces many words incorrectly and that's what bothers me the most. One that I can think of off the top of my head is the word especially. He pronounces it, "Expecially".
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 01:30 PM

When explaining the lake layout and vegetation he reads his script very well.

I like his input. There is always going to be someone to sit in that third seat and contribute. I prefer Marty to Chad who was never a pro fisherman. Marty has been to all the lakes and actually has history.

JT? The weatherman. He also has been to most of the places they fish but is less open with his comments.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 01:37 PM

They need to make KVD the announcer, that man would do a great job.

Another good one would be Denny Brauer.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:09 PM

I took a bass class probably 13 years ago or so (Before Bass University was around) and Marty taught a course of finesse flipping. I learned a lot from him and really picked his brain after the class when there was a kind of meet and greet with all the pros. I had a similar experience, he was incredibly open and personable, offering his suggestions based on his preference even if it wasn't a sponsor. But with all that said, his South Carolina accent on MLF drives me nuts! roflmao
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Outdoors

There's no "t'" in wudder... roflmao
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:28 PM

Him and JT are terrible. He’s like a democrat candidate right now, doesn’t matter how many times he contradicts himself or how obvious it is, he still manages a straight face and genuine belief that the viewers are dumb and won’t catch his hypocrisy’s.
Posted By: BASSCATONE

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/17/20 02:50 PM

I think he is much better than Zona but not near as good as Hite (in a lot of ways). I know that he is respected in the industry. I enjoy JT for entertainment! Except for Hite, these guys were "journeyman" tournament anglers and that is why they are talking instead of fishing.. Ha! I thought that I was the only one that was annoyed by the "waddder"!
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/18/20 02:29 PM

Listening to the mlf/bpt announcers are about as painful as watching paint dry.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 02:43 PM

I like the banter between the MLF crew. Pretty funny!
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 03:03 PM

Funny how everybody bitched about Velvick, now its J.T and Marty......ex-pros with that much experience are just lining up the halls for this gig I'm sure.
Posted By: jbw3

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 03:11 PM

In the words of Dwight Schrute..."he's got cat turd collector written all over him."
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donald Harper
He has the job and I don't. He works with people that give him advice on how to break down the lake and evaluate the fishermen's success during the day. There is only so much that a guy can do to get the basic points across to the general public. He has my respect; as all of the guys who provides the TV shows that we all enjoy watching. We all wish our world of sports could be brought to us in a more interesting fashion. It is what it is and I accept that. I take what I can use and go on down the road. He qualifies to do the job and that is all I care about.

cheers

I like him. Do I put unrealistic standards on him as a fishing TV analyst? No !

2 good responses !

I do like Sheli Sanders better tho !
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 03:18 PM

I don't envy him as I think his job is to point out the obvious but when he says "water" I die a little bit inside.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Basscat8263
I like the banter between the MLF crew. Pretty funny!

Every brodcast crew has to have a yuck monkey. J.T. serves that role well.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 05:30 PM

Watching the FLW Tackle Warehouse Pro Circuit "recorders" and am I on the only one that is annoyed by Marty Stone? He's been on MLF and now they've added him on the Tackle Warehouse Pro Circuit. I mean the guy doesn't add anything, just points out the obvious.

"The angler that is able to find the fish today and adjust to the conditions is going to do very well." REALLY????

Maybe I'm just being an @ss.

You’ve obviously have never been to the Bunker. It’s full of people who don’t recognize the obvious. There’s definitely a market for those who don’t recognize the obvious.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 06:26 PM

Hottie!

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

I don't envy him as I think his job is to point out the obvious but when he says "water" I die a little bit inside.

I'm from country East Texas. There's an area on the Neches River in my county (Tyler) and the next county south (Hardin) that has it's own language and dialect. It's surreal to visit and even a little bit scary. They fight dogs, chickens, hog/dog, and is very clannish. Marty Stone saying "water" has never phased me.

I also lived in coastal Maine for a couple of years. Their enunciation replaces all "R's" with an "ah". Dialects.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/19/20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Hottie!

Stone????
Posted By: NitroUSAF

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/24/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin

Sounds like the Booger McFarland of bass fishing. Those Booger tweets made for some good twitter entertainment.

Booger McFarland...yea, we can do without his comments
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/24/20 09:18 PM

Listening to him on FLW live today, you just have to turn your brain off noidea
Posted By: Kensho TX

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/28/20 03:05 AM

Zona!!!
Posted By: KenTx1962

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/28/20 03:59 AM

Ok not to pile on, but he did comment at the first FLW tournament that he called that the angler was "incredibly innovative" for carrying ice in his back port side compartment to keep the fish alive, said "I've never seen anyone else do that"... really?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/28/20 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by KenTx1962
Ok not to pile on, but he did comment at the first FLW tournament that he called that the angler was "incredibly innovative" for carrying ice in his back port side compartment to keep the fish alive, said "I've never seen anyone else do that"... really?

I should be interviewed as a true innovator! I was doing that back in the 1990s with the 1991 Stratos I had at the time. I was even freezing 2L jugs so the ice lasted longer, and premising Please Release Me to dissolve it in a water bottle to be easily added to the livewell. I even added insulated foam to the aluminum lids - wasn't that novel? (I used to work for NASA, LMAO)

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/28/20 11:47 AM

He kept saying Dakota Ebare fished for UT. I have only heard that he fished for Tarleton before.
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/28/20 11:30 PM

Marty has done well for himself. Congrats on that. Then turn down the volume.

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/29/20 12:22 AM

LOL I remember that, was thinking to my self I've been doing that for years, I need to start a poll thread on who sounds more like a DA, Stone, Spencer Shuffield or Poche
Posted By: 361V

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/29/20 05:20 AM

"The angler that is able to find the fish today and adjust to the conditions is going to do very well." REALLY????.
The John Madden of Bass Fishing?
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Marty Stone - FLW - 08/29/20 08:32 PM

That comment was for the house wife’s that were just tuning in for the first time ..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum