Texas Fishing Forum

Lithium Help

Posted By: Shoe Dave

Lithium Help - 08/13/20 04:55 PM

My starter battery just went out and I am thinking about replacing it with a lithium battery. I have a couple of questions. Can you charge a lithium battery on a Minnkota four bank charger? Number two what kind of lithium battery do you recommend?
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 05:00 PM

Contact Andy Council at Drew Craft. cheers

andy@drewcraft.com
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 05:02 PM

Most lithiums are not set up to start an outboard. Make sure you get one that has been built to start you engine.
Most of the lithium chemistries provide more amps on demand but they don't have a controller that will handle all those amps.

Minn Kota says their Precision and Digital chargers will work on lithium batteries.

Posted By: Chris G

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 05:13 PM

As Big Dozer said Andy Council has the only Lithium battery that is truly rated for cranking. I just bought one 2 months ago and love it. I researched the carp out of it before buying. I bought the 125ah 12V Ionic Lithium Battery.

For your minnkota onboard charger, it depends on the model you have. I have the MK 460PC and it charges them very well on the AGM setting. You need to figure out the model you have then find out if it will push enough voltage to charge the Lithium's correctly. That is the main concern on them.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 05:37 PM

When I bought my lithium Ionics from Drewcraft I bought 3/100ah for the trolling motor and1/125ah for the cranking and I had the mk 460 charger I bought the ionic charger from them so everything would be new.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 05:41 PM

For what its worth I tried a lithium cranker and my pro xs hated it. took it out went w AGM

Love the 36V for TM though.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Lithium Help - 08/13/20 06:46 PM

Yes you can use your normal charger. It just wont be as fast as a lithium charger.

And you just need a battery that is also a start battery. Relion makes a start battery as does ionic and many others.

I have A relion 100ah start battery I’ll sell you for 750 shipped. I went To a 125ah just in case when I added A 5th 12” screen. Though the 100ah never shut off on me.
Posted By: Todd B.

Re: Lithium Help - 08/14/20 02:25 AM

Since we are talking lithium, I have been confused as my brother, who is a much better angler than me, claims he is going to buy one lithium battery for his TM next time. Is this possible? And if so do you guys recommend this? I would have a big problem letting go of that kind of money.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Lithium Help - 08/14/20 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Since we are talking lithium, I have been confused as my brother, who is a much better angler than me, claims he is going to buy one lithium battery for his TM next time. Is this possible? And if so do you guys recommend this? I would have a big problem letting go of that kind of money.

Yes there is a one battery 36v.

I would not use it. If a cell goes bad you need three Walmart batteries while you wait for repair. I run 3 50ah lithium and can put one normal battery in if needed.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Lithium Help - 08/14/20 12:02 PM

Make sure you get the right starting battery for sure. I bought a 100 amp for my starting battery and a couple of times it shorted out and I had to wait about 15 minutes for it to start back up and get out of protection mode. Ended up moving that 100 am battery to my trolling motor set and using one of the 50amp batteries I replaced it with for the Garmin live scope I had installed on the front.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum