Texas Fishing Forum

Conroe Help

Posted By: PowerPolesDown

Conroe Help - 08/09/20 08:42 PM

I've recently relocated to Spring and Conroe is now my home lake. I've spent hours searching for info on this lake and haven't come up with anything too helpful. I've been out about 15 times now morning and evening. I've fished docks, pads, grass, brushpiles, rip rap in about every section of the lake north to south and only a few dinks and many skunks to show. Not asking for any honey holes just any general direction. Is the lake just fishing tough right now? Are there any good ways to learn this lake or any bass clubs I should look into?

Any info would be greatly greatly appreciated I am at the point of questioning everything I know about bass fishing because of this lake. hammer

Tight lines!
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Conroe Help - 08/09/20 09:49 PM

This time of year, spend alot of time scanning for offshore structure. Thats where most will be, especially with the drawdown. Conroe isn't very friendly in my opinion and kicks my butt as well, just have to keep looking for em.
Posted By: Brett Olson

Re: Conroe Help - 08/09/20 11:55 PM

As said above during the summer it’s mostly about off shore brush piles and structure although I caught the majority of my fish today skipping a wacky rig under docks. And don’t feel bad about getting skunked I’ve fished this lake for 15 years and still get skunked, Conroe will humble you quickly. Shoot me a message if you need more help

Re: Conroe Help - 08/09/20 11:58 PM

Thanks for the info looks like I'll be putting in some more seat time. I'm not the strongest offshore guy but with the way things are going I'd be willing to graph for days to get on some fish

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 12:16 AM

PM sent
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 01:32 AM

I was told by some guys earlier this year that a plain black trick worm rigged however you choose too(c-rig/t-rig/wacky) works well down there!
Posted By: Kicker16

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 03:04 AM

Fish 12'+ right now. Scan and find the brush piles there is a bunch of them, seems the heavy hitters on this lake know where they all are.
If your looking for a bass club the Seven Coves Bass Club is a good group of guys.
Posted By: Zwhitehead04

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 05:08 AM

Find brush piles near main lake points and secondary points 12+ Carolina rig shakey head or Texas rig something subtle. Locate 5-8 piles and rotate back and fourth on them it’s a timing deal the fish are in them just depends if they want to eat at 8 AM or 3 pm
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 02:55 PM

Our Lakes around Houston make you want to start Salt Water fishing.
Posted By: Walls

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TxBazzn

Truer words have never been spoken.

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 06:56 PM

roflmao I'm getting to that point but I'm determined to figure this lake out my love for the green ones is too strong

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 06:58 PM

Thank y'all for all the input I'll be rigging up some trick worms and searching for the brush.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 07:07 PM

Personally I avoid Conroe from April until Mid-October unless night fishing. You’ll need to run a lot of brush & junk piles and you’ll only get bit a couple times off just a small handful of them on a good day. But you might catch 2 over 5lbs.
I suspect most of the bass in that lake act like stripper now but I won’t hit that lake during summer and I’m not good enough with my electronics to identify and catch them.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 07:49 PM

Or take up drinkin' the hard stuff? roflmao
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Conroe Help - 08/10/20 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by WALLS

Truer words have never been spoken.

I travel outside of Houston for fresh water fishing. Ain't nothing around here that I want to fish. I do fish Trinity bay for reds, flounder and trout.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Conroe Help - 08/11/20 01:07 AM

Conroe brush pile 12+ myth. It’s past early July. Thermocline has developed. More fish caught inside 12 ft than deeper. Tough lake to fish and it’s fishing tough.August and September are both tough months. It’s rarely a high bite count lake but for average size and big 5 fish stringers it’s tough to beat.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: Conroe Help - 08/13/20 04:46 PM

Been fishing the lake for almost 40 years and it is still a roll of the dice when I put the boat in the water. My best advice, find yourself some off shore brush (10-15 spots) 12-20 feet and start ROTATING them during the day. It really is all about timing and hitting them just right. Sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose.
Posted By: TexanTiger

Re: Conroe Help - 08/13/20 06:51 PM

yes the lake is fishing tough right now, I have been living here/fishing it for almost a decade and I have just about learned July/August its a carp shoot. During summer months I do more exploring. I will also say that if you are a shallow water guy (I am), when the lake is lower it gets tougher. Ideal would be full pool, but below 96% the bank bite gets tough. I have found that where fish would normally be in 1-4' of water they are now in 6-8'. Dont be quick to write off an area if you go out and dont catch them there one day, if it looks "fishy" try it a couple times and at different times of day. Some of my best spots now are spots that i previously zeroed in. They are probably there, just maybe very pressured. Also if you are able, try fishing midweek when the weekend pressure has died down some. All that being said I have had some great days out there and my personal best has come from Conroe.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum