Texas Fishing Forum

Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake

Posted By: domb1972

Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/05/20 04:50 PM

Hi yall , So I'm from Grand Prairie , I left when I was 19yo to Northern California where I lived for 25 years. I fished the Delta and lakes out there . Moved back to Grand Prairie,Tx last year just got my Champ 201 all redone and been on this lake 3 times in the last 3 weeks . I dont see much structure and the water is super shallow compared to the deep reservoirs in Ca. I did manage a few small bass last saturday under the bridge in the shade biggest about 2 lbs. I was drip shotting . I motored around the lake looking for offshore structure not much luck there. I know this lake has to have some big largemouth in it . I use to fish the ponds as a kid before they flooded them to make Joe Pool. And do these bass hit top water? Lol I threw a spook early morning and nothing .

Any pointers or help would be appreciated. Me and my girl are headed back out this Saturday.
Thanks for the help

Dom
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/05/20 06:28 PM

Check your PM Dom.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/05/20 07:45 PM

I have fished Pool for several years and it does have some big bass in it but it is a finicky lake. It seems that once you figure it out it changes the next year and you have to figure it out again. Some people are consistent on it but not me. I have moved more to Grapevine lake as the average fish seems to be larger and I like all of the docks to fish.

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/06/20 10:09 AM

Sounds like Lake Folsom in Sacramento, Ca .. uggg thanks
Posted By: ccw

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/06/20 02:30 PM

Even though we lived next to the lake for a few years, never mastered it the way a few have. I was always able to use 3 baits and have a good day fishing though. C rig a white fluke, t rig a blue fleck worm and throw a lv500. Do yourself a favor and go meet Blake over at the marina, he's a good kid and usually pretty helpful with what's working out there. Good luck
PS, weren't you around the lake McClure, Don Pedro area?
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/06/20 03:25 PM

Look for humps, long points and ledges out from the dam.
In all cases look specifically for rock piles, stumps and anything else that will hold the fish.

There are always fish shallow on the pool if you want to fish that. Most of the larger fish are out a little and under the bridge is another place where we have caught some nicer fish.

Re: Need some help on Bass Fishing Joe Pool Lake - 08/07/20 12:36 AM

Thanks for the info , yes I fished the northern , Ca tournament trail for 20 + years . I've hit all the lakes but lived down the road from the delta . Lunched out of Rivers end and Russos . Moved back home to Texas last year I could not take the high cost of living and crooked politicians any more. I do miss the delta and Clesr Lake oh and the weather!!!!!!! Lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum