Texas Fishing Forum

Whitney First timer

Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Whitney First timer - 08/04/20 03:22 PM

Heading to Whitney tomorrow for 4 days of camping and bass fishing. We are staying at the State park so I will be launching from there. Any hazards to worry about while running around the lake like timber or shallow structure? Any additional info is appreciated.
Posted By: boocat

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/04/20 03:55 PM

The island across from the state park. Take care passing through between Walling Bend park and that island.. It's the shore opposite from the state park. Point sticks out further than you might think, but then again I don't know what the water level was when I was there.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/05/20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by boocat
The island across from the state park. Take care passing through between Walling Bend park and that island.. It's the shore opposite from the state park. Point sticks out further than you might think, but then again I don't know what the water level was when I was there.

its shallow but it still should be ok to run. very easy lake to run until u get in front of steele creek. throw a topwater in the morning and get off the lake at 10 am after that its a wsste of time
Posted By: 361V

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/05/20 09:54 PM

Bass fishing for me has been slow the last month for me at Whitney. The saving grace the last several times out is the huge schools of little stripers that blow up pretty regular. If the acres of schooling baby stripers are any indication of the future of Whitney’s striper population it will be bright! I caught a ton of tiny stripers on a bone colored Yellow Magic(small popper) just a couple days ago to salvage an otherwise tough day of bass fishing. As said above^^^^ the lake is real easy to run until you get up lake to Steele Creek(west shore) or White Bluff(east shore) all the way to the river. This area has more big trees than appears.
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/06/20 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/07/20 02:44 PM

Same for me as 361V said. Bass fishing at Whitney has really slowed down even if you get out early. Thank God for the schooling stripers. It at least keeps me from going home feeling like a total failure.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Whitney First timer - 08/07/20 04:49 PM

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling. It's been tough on Whitney and Waco for the last month.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum