Texas Fishing Forum

Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions??

Posted By: “The Stick”

Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 01:48 AM

I enjoy watching underwater YouTube videos on Bass behavior. What's your experience and opinion with underwater cameras (AQUA-VU)?
Here's a picture of a Bass I took at Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine. Their fish tank is amazing.
This big girl looks like she has make-up on. roflmao
[Linked Image]
She was so unique and fun to watch!
flag Fish ON fish
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 01:55 AM

love it there,...they are hypnotic. cyclop
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 02:15 AM

I used an underwater camera a few years ago. It’s eye opening, for sure. It’s also depressing to see just how many bass are totally uninterested in anything you throw at them. It’s also fun, and again depressing, to see how many follow your bait and just kinda watch it. Never biting. Also, some can bite the bait and spit it out so fast, and NEVER make the line move. It’s crazy.

I eventually just quit videoing the fish. Still have the camera, just don’t want to know anything more than I learned. Haha.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 02:17 AM

I really want one!! But as murky/stained as the water is here who knows if I could even see anything... also would need like the extending pole attachment to look under docks! I watch Hook N Look all the time and they use the Aqua Vu 7" model.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bassmanrudy
I really want one!! But as murky/stained as the water is here who knows if I could even see anything... also would need like the extending pole attachment to look under docks! I watch Hook N Look all the time and they use the Aqua Vu 7" model.

I used to do a series "What's Under The Dock?" (just quickie 2-3 minute vids) that I posted on the 15th of every month to figure out what was in the water as the year went round - this was shot with a Go Pro III - not to hawk that, but the water clarity in March is very stained with red mud and you can still see plenty. To drop your camera down - use a saltwater boat rod and appropriate reel with 50 pound test (or more). You want a sturdy case because a turtle or catfish will occasionally try to take it. The turtle was eyeing it in this one. I do recommend doing it and doing it year round - you will gain a lot of knowledge on what is in and when - for instance - I didn't know we had big crappies around till late June. Thought they were long gone - and I didn't realize the large numbers of hybrid stripers we had right here at the dock.

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1956Zebco
Originally Posted by bassmanrudy

I used to do a series "What's Under The Dock?" (just quickie 2-3 minute vids) that I posted on the 15th of every month to figure out what was in the water as the year went round - this was shot with a Go Pro III - not to hawk that, but the water clarity in March is very stained with red mud and you can still see plenty. To drop your camera down - use a saltwater boat rod and appropriate reel with 50 pound test (or more). You want a sturdy case because a turtle or catfish will occasionally try to take it. The turtle was eyeing it in this one. I do recommend doing it and doing it year round - you will gain a lot of knowledge on what is in and when - for instance - I didn't know we had big crappies around till late June. Thought they were long gone - and I didn't realize the large numbers of hybrid stripers we had right here at the dock.

Why did you stop!!? This is awesome stuff right here!! Thank you so much for sharing.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 03:12 PM

1956zebco- that was cool!! I have some bridge pilings I like to fish and would be cool to see what's really living there!
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 03:35 PM

I never thought much about underwater cameras before finding this thread. I hope more folks will chime in with experience using specific models.

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Stick

Why did you stop!!? This is awesome stuff right here!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Hurricane Michael stopped it. For months after that our water looked like this:

[Linked Image]

Worse, any little sprinkle brought more down and turned it that way for a full year. It is just now cleared to where the fish are back to what they were and spawning here again (Lake Eufaula) in numbers. I will start filming again soon (my wife is on me too to do so - and do night vids - she likes night crappie fishing).

Hurricane Michael from Lake Eufaula:

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/04/20 05:05 PM

1956Zebco Your wife is right!! Night fishing is so much fun I just wish I could do it more often. I will look forward to your new footage. Please keep me posted flag

Re: Underwater cameras....Garmin's Aqua-Vu , ect ...opinions?? - 08/08/20 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Stick
1956Zebco Your wife is right!! Night fishing is so much fun I just wish I could do it more often. I will look forward to your new footage. Please keep me posted flag

Thanks - I'll try, but these topics get buried in a hurry on an active forum like this and it might be Oct before I get things figured out for night video.. If you would, hit the subscribe button and you'll know when I start back up. This was May's U/W & a bit on your own worm farm:
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum