Texas Fishing Forum

Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93.

Posted By: joho5

Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/01/20 10:16 PM

Have the 73CV at trolling motor and have 93SV at helm...both chirp models.

I notice their contours aren’t quite as detailed as say Navionics webapp In like creek channels and certain areas. To the point where I sometimes use my phone to find spots over the unit.

Will updating the maps fix this? Or is lakemaster or navionics chip compatible with these units?

My next question would be which garmin lake update do I buy if I went that route? I see different regions HD and then I see an all US lakes.

Anyways, just want the best contours I can get for my unit...all help is welcomed.

Thanks!
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 02:11 AM

Garmin maps suck
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 11:53 AM

G3 Ultra HD maps are very detailed with pics and sidevu screen shots. If your lake is included it is great. Lakemaster and Navionics are not compatible with Garmin units.

Retired grass grower
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by ring fry
G3 Ultra HD maps are very detailed with pics and sidevu screen shots. If your lake is included it is great. Lakemaster and Navionics are not compatible with Garmin units.

Retired grass grower

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have 3 9" and am going to upgrade soon.

also, have you tried changing the map view? they have the fishing/navigation etc. and it will change the view.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong

Retired grass grower

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

also, have you tried changing the map view? they have the fishing/navigation etc. and it will change the view.

Yes I have...if I buy one download, can i load it on both of my units?
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by joho5

Retired grass grower

this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Yes I have...if I buy one download, can i load it on both of my units?

I would think so you have the same graph combo as I do. Are they networked? If so I would think you load on one and have it upload to both units.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Garmin maps suck

Yeah they did, those are older units, I think the newer models have better maps.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 05:43 PM

I have a new 93SV UHD,...I had an old 93SV from about 5 years ago, There is no comparison the new unit
has a better map than my Lakemaster that I run side by side with my Helix 7.
The Garmin map is excellent. A friend of mine and I were talking about Lake Fork when it was being built and flooded,
he was here not me. He told me that few people know that there is a Coffer Dam that was built in Lake Fork, and how big it was and where it was,.....I went and looked, and it was no where to be seen on LakeMaster but was perfectly ourlined
on the Garmin.
wow

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
I have a new 93SV UHD,...I had an old 93SV from about 5 years ago, There is no comparison the new unit
has a better map than my Lakemaster that I run side by side with my Helix 7.
The Garmin map is excellent. A friend of mine and I were talking about Lake Fork when it was being built and flooded,
he was here not me. He told me that few people know that there is a Coffer Dam that was built in Lake Fork, and how big it was and where it was,.....I went and looked, and it was no where to be seen on LakeMaster but was perfectly ourlined
on the Garmin.
wow

If I update my maps to ultra hd, will I be equivalent?
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 08:45 PM

No, I have the 73SV, as with anything tech theres something newer and better out within a year or even months. You can buy a lakevu card but the texas lakes are very limited.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 11:31 PM

My 2 93sv's are 4-5 years old. The maps look like someone gave a 6yr old the outline of lakes and said draw a bunch of squiggly lines. Not even close to what is there.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 11:34 PM

My 2 93sv's are 4-5 years old. The maps look like someone gave a 6yr old the outline of lakes and said draw a bunch of squiggly lines. Not even close to what is there.

which map screen are you in?

navigation shows very few contours, fishing on my 2 93sv plus (non hd) do a good job on fork.

I am going to upgrade to the ultra maps soon tho, sounds like they are about the same as navionics platinum.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 11:35 PM

I wish garmin would let us buy a download for ea. unit by ser. number.

just dreaming. lol

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/02/20 11:42 PM

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts/features/garmin
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/03/20 10:56 PM

My 93 SV UHD come with the LakeVu g3. fish

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/03/20 11:37 PM

navigation shows very few contours, fishing on my 2 93sv plus (non hd) do a good job on fork.

I am going to upgrade to the ultra maps soon tho, sounds like they are about the same as navionics platinum.

Not sure what you mean. I only navigation or 3d. No fishing map unless it's hidden somewhere

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 03:51 AM

Not sure what you mean. I only navigation or 3d. No fishing map unless it's hidden somewhere

You need to dowload the latest update to your unit, they're free on the garmin website, navigation map used to be more detailed than the fishing map, its flip flopped with the latest updates. Its nowhere near as detailed as navionics but its better than nothing.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 12:01 PM

Now that Garmin owns Navionics, can you just download all the maps to a WiFi Garmin unit like you can to your phone?

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Now that Garmin owns Navionics, can you just download all the maps to a WiFi Garmin unit like you can to your phone?

have to buy the card, lakevu 3g is what comes with the units, 3g ultra is similar to navionics platinum from what I have been told.

this chart shows the difference in the two

https://www.navionics.com/usa/charts-garmin?charts=LakeVug3Ultra

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 08:33 PM

go to charts, it should show navigation, fishing and 3d.

be sure you have the latest updates
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 08:45 PM

My units are about 5 or 6 years old and my maps are terrible. I bought the upgrade at the time and they are still terrible. Guess I need to upgrade to newer units.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 09:32 PM

go to charts, it should show navigation, fishing and 3d.

be sure you have the latest updates

All i have is navigation and 3d. I'm a techno idiot that doesn't own a computer. So no upgrading for me

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 10:01 PM

you update with active capt. app on your phone, super easy and idiot proof.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/04/20 10:08 PM

you update with active capt. app on your phone, super easy and idiot proof.

Can I buy one g3 ultra update and it be used on both my units?

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/05/20 12:42 AM

All i have is navigation and 3d. I'm a techno idiot that doesn't own a computer. So no upgrading for me

You can buy the latest upgrade card https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/27597
Honestly if you don't own a computer theres no reason to buy these modern electronics, your only getting a fraction out of them that you could over their life without upgrading with updates.

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/05/20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by SC-001

Honestly if you don't own a computer theres no reason to buy these modern electronics, your only getting a fraction out of them that you could over their life without upgrading with updates.

That's why i don't have the newest and greatest. I replaced a couple of tiny 20 year old units with cheap 93's. I would like to have decent maps on them though

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/05/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001

don't need a puter for garmin, all updates and downloads are thru the app on the phone. not even sure if you can update thru a micro card, maps I know upgrade with a card like navionics.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/05/20 11:35 PM

I updated mine through a card but its like a 2015 or '16 year model unit

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/06/20 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf
I updated mine through a card but its like a 2015 or '16 year model unit

don't think the newer models allow that, at least mine only have one slot and I have to have that one in for the unit to work (think it acts as storage for some stuff)

Re: Lake maps on Echomap 73 and 93. - 08/06/20 04:05 PM

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum