Texas Fishing Forum

"we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments

Posted By: Flippin-Out

"we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 02:03 PM

I am watching the B.A.S.S. tournament live broadcast, and am wondering about the "teams" since many anglers talking on camera seem to be using the term "we" when I only see ONE competitor in the boat. What's up with this? Are they proclaiming that their pronoun is now "we" instead of "I"?

With respect to grammar I had been taught that one person was "I" and "we" was applied for multiple people in a group. One man per boat = team of one, so why the persistent "we" application?
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 02:09 PM

Man I am on my 3rd cup and the grammar police made it to the fishing boards this morning. Must be raining hard in Magnolia. I will call mom she is off Nichols Sawmill.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 02:49 PM

Yes, the grammar is wrong, but they seem to think more than one person is fishing on a "team"? It's not just one of them doing it - it seems pervasive, and rather odd.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 02:59 PM

We would be family, friends, sponsors and those that support them. Nobody gets anyplace alone.

Straight from the captain obvious manual written by common sense.
Posted By: GreaseMonkey

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 02:59 PM

I get what you’re saying. The way I understand it is these guys don’t travel around by themselves or practice fish these lakes by themselves. They have friends and family that help drive and pull the boat and or RV from place to place. Most are supported by family and friends while trying to make a living at tournament fishing, which by all accounts is next to impossible. So I can see why they use the plural pronoun “we” as acknowledgement to all the other members of his team’s sacrifices for his success.
Posted By: wh2004

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
We would be family, friends, sponsors and those that support them. Nobody gets anyplace alone.

Straight from the captain obvious manual written by common sense.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 06:20 PM

There are groups of anglers on tour that pool their knowledge to figure out a fishery in practice it happens on FLW too, one of the reason MLF went with the no sharing info between competitors rule. It was crazy when I marshalled to be with different pro's on days 1, 2 and 3 and all are using the same plastic with the same odd ball weight in the same places, it wasn't coincidence
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/01/20 09:56 PM

Ever heard of the royal we?
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/02/20 12:52 AM

That was in reference to an angler named Pat. They keeping it gender neutral.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: "we" terminology in pro fisherMAN tournaments - 08/02/20 04:04 AM

If there is a camera man in the boat then he might be saying we as in the ones in this boat. cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum