Texas Fishing Forum

4x4 at the boat ramp??

Posted By: Brutaldudeski

4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 09:55 PM

Hey guys, im considering purchasing a 2wd vehicle. Have any of you ever experienced issues launching a bass boat without 4wd?? I was launching my jet ski the other day at RR and used a silted lane at the ramp. Luckily my tire hit concrete after about a 8 inches of sediment(didnt have to engage my 4wd). Just wondering yalls experiences without having 4wd at the ramp. Biggest thing I would ever launch would be a bass boat or jet ski. Maybe I'm crazy for not considering the 4wd option.

Thanks
Posted By: kd

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 09:57 PM

Do they make trucks that aren't 4x4?
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 09:58 PM

Never know when you’ll need it. Best get 4wd.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 10:06 PM

Never needed 4wd on a concrete ramp. If your launching off the bank, yes get 4wd.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 10:17 PM

your resale will be higher when you trade or sell your truck...
Posted By: Brandon Potter

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 10:22 PM

I prefer 4x4, but have had 2wd Tahoe’s and Yukon’s in the past and never had an issue.
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 10:24 PM

4X4.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 11:07 PM

You have to be more careful with 2 but I've never gotten stuck. I have had times when the wheels spun and I had to be creative but always got out.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 11:10 PM

My truck is 4X4 but I’ve never had to use it on any concrete ramp. I use 4X4 on Colorado roads during the winter all the time though. It’s all about your needs.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 11:19 PM

Squaw creek,,, check
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/30/20 11:47 PM

Yep. 4x4
Posted By: wh2004

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:13 AM

I don’t know man. Not sure anyone has ever successfully launched a boat with 2wd...
Posted By: Debra Hengst

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:26 AM

Ha' if you live or venture onto South Texas lakes you might want to consider one, I've always had a 4x4.

Debra smile
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:55 AM

If you never go to Squaw then you’ll be fine without 4wd
Posted By: Chuck72

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:43 AM

I had went with a 2 wheel drive for fuel economy. A low lake Amistad and a wet ramp on a Saturday had me at the dealership to buy a 4x4 on Monday. You won’t need 4x4 until you do.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:55 AM

Welsh, you’ll never make it up the hill without a 4x4 some days
Posted By: Vetbassman

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:57 AM

Sir,
I had the same thoughts in 2015 purchased a two wheel drive. It saved me around five grand. I have Owned a 18.8. Ranger and now a Caracal and never had an issue on any ramp that was gravel or concrete. That being said, I will never purchase another one without four wheel drive. It’s good to have options if you can.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 02:01 AM

you never need it, until you need it. If its in your budget, don't scrimp.

BD
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 02:02 AM

Never got stuck but have pulled out plenty people - tow vehicle, boat and all, with my 4x4 (boat attached, in reverse)
Posted By: Doc1986

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 02:31 AM

Like everybody else has mentioned it's not a necessity but does come in handy if needed. I haven't owned a boat for a few years now but when I did it was nice having that option when the lake levels were low and you had to practically back your vehicle into the lake to launch and or the ramps were on a steep incline and wet from others launching and recovering.
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 02:58 AM

I've seen a 2wd truck unable to get up a wet ramp. He was just spinning a tire until a several of us bystanders hopped on his bumper and he got enough bite to get up the ramp. He was pulling a pretty big boat though.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 03:08 AM

I have pulled large boats out and have never needed 4 wheel drive before.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 03:53 AM

If you’ve never had to pull your boat up a ramp with 4wd, you haven’t fished Alan Henry yet.

I can pull my boat out in 2wd about half the time.

Lost count of how many 2wds I’ve pulled up the ramp as well.

So far it’s the only launch I’ve ever had issues at.

I like to fish new lakes. First time I went to Alan Henry I had a 2wd and it was a sickening feeling not being able to get the boat out of the water. Not gonna happen to me again.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 04:04 AM

I've never not been able to get a boat up a ramp with 2 wheel drive. Guess I'll mention I own a 4x4 now just to make it easier.
Posted By: doctorxring

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 04:43 AM

I recommend 4x4 for a hauler. Most boat ramps you don't need it, but when you do, you do.

If you decide to pass on 4x4 at least order a Limited Slip Differential.

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 04:50 AM

Have pulled 21ft skeeters with my 2wd tacoma on some steep ramps never had a issue... yet you hear stories of people even with 4wd on junk ramps sinking their whole rig realmad
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 05:13 AM

I haven't had 4x4 in a least 10 years and have hauled 20-21' boats all over Texas to fish and have yet to have an issue on a boat ramp.
Posted By: LaRue

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 07:19 AM

I've owned multiple 2x4 and 4x4 vehicles and have launched a fully loaded 21ft (full gas/gear) bass boat at every Lake mentioned in the thread.

Never once have I had to lock the hubs or engage 4x4 to pull my boat out. Although, I have seen many guys over accelerate and lose traction. As long as you dont break the tires or pop the clutch, 2wd will get the job done.

My opinion- 4wd is a fun feature to have, but you've got to go out of your way to truly need it. Your average boat owner will never need 4wd.

4x4 option typically runs $3-4k more. Why not spend that money on a Lowrance Ghost or Garmin LiveScope or Power-Polls. You'd get way more enjoyment out of any of these things than you would the 4 seconds it takes to pull your boat out of the water with zero traction loss.
Posted By: squib

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
If you’ve never had to pull your boat up a ramp with 4wd, you haven’t fished Alan Henry yet.

I can pull my boat out in 2wd about half the time.

Lost count of how many 2wds I’ve pulled up the ramp as well.

So far it’s the only launch I’ve ever had issues at.

I like to fish new lakes. First time I went to Alan Henry I had a 2wd and it was a sickening feeling not being able to get the boat out of the water. Not gonna happen to me again.

Yep. Same for me. Such nice facilities and a great ramp but it is very slick. I have to use 4x4 almost every time. And then when it ices up, I still pucker a bit even in 4.

I got stuck on an algae-covered Diablo East ramp at Amistad back in 2000. I drove home and bought a 4 wheel drive. I’ll never be without one again.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:09 AM

Bought my first 4wd truck this year. Need it on vacation to the mountains. Never needed 4wd in Texas, and certainly never on a concrete ramp.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I haven't had 4x4 in a least 10 years and have hauled 20-21' boats all over Texas to fish and have yet to have an issue on a boat ramp.

Same here. I've launched at diablo east, squaw creek and plenty of other slick ramps. Just got to know how to drive. Now if your launching off the bank at Falcon, yes you need 4wd.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:32 AM

First time you back down a slick ramp and you push down on the brakes and nothing happens as your truck continues to slide toward the water, you'll wish you had bought that 4x4.
It's better known as the pucker effect! If it ever happens to you, then you'll understand.
Pulling out on a steep slick ramp is a piece of cake with 4 wheel drive, and I've pulled out people from bad situations that had two wheel drive vehicles that thought they knew how to drive as well.
Posted By: old bob

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:43 AM

Don't buy without a spare tire either. Neither a spare or 4x4 is any use until you need them.
rd
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:57 AM

I have 4x4. Never used it at the ramp, but I have needed it to and from a few times.
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:01 PM

Posi-tract Nuff said
Posted By: MikeW07

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:24 PM

With a bass boat 4 x 4 for sure - got stuck twice in one year both because of low water and the trailer wheels would fall off the end of the ramp in the wash out hole - once at Cedar Creek Log Cabin - could pull it over the lip without the boat on it but add the boat and wouldn't work - nice guys with Log Cabin water dept came by and offered to pull me out but with a 2 wheel drive F150 nothing to hook onto in the front - same thing at Grapevine fell of in the wash out at the end of the ramp - started only buying 4x4 from there and no more issues.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:30 PM

Better to have 4wd and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:31 PM

4 wheel only for me . Years ago I got stuck in the wilderness on wet grass in a 2 wheel drive . I thought the ground was level and never gave it a second thought , with posi traction no less . Spent a few hours breaking limbs off off trees to make a track back to the gravel road .
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:36 PM

My current truck is 4x4 and I think I probably prefer 2WD, I've "had" to use my 4x4 three times in the past 5 years. It's nice to have but I've also had to service it and I sacrifice some fuel economy for it.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 12:42 PM

you only live once, get the 4 wheel drive
Posted By: BMCD

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:04 PM

Good AT tires and a locking diff will take care of 99% of the ramps. Did it for years. Even on my 4x4 I have only had to use twice on a ramp in 5 years. And I would guess I prolly fish more then the average person.
Posted By: BASSCATONE

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:32 PM

If you think you don't need 4WD then you have not been to the "right' boat ramp yet. If you can afford it buy 4WD.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 01:49 PM

A 4x4 just gets ya stuck out there further lol I drive a 4x4 and always will, but honestly can't say you HAVE to have it on a concrete ramp.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Hengst
Ha' if you live or venture onto South Texas lakes you might want to consider one, I've always had a 4x4.

Debra smile

This is true. Especially San Antonio area lakes. Inks lake is horrible as well, or use to be.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck72
I had went with a 2 wheel drive for fuel economy. A low lake Amistad and a wet ramp on a Saturday had me at the dealership to buy a 4x4 on Monday. You won’t need 4x4 until you do.

I have a 4X4 but didn't have it in 4 wheel while launching. Went down the ramp at Amistad to turn around. Truck jackknifed on the slippery ramp (it had just rained). Caused a little damage to the truck exhaust that cost me $170 to repair. For now on I'm using 4X4 anytime on the ramp.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 04:09 PM

I would never buy a truck that is NOT 4x4...way too many times have I gone down paths scouting things out where 4x4 has saved me.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 05:05 PM

For the 30+ years I have been fishing in Texas only twice (once on Squaw Creek and once on Welsh in the winter) did I every really need four wheel drive. Although I have not launched a few times because there was no cement or even gravel ramp (Falcon and Clark lake when the water was real low). I've had more issues up north where many lakes only have sand ramps.

That being said, my next truck will be 4X4.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by kd

This^^^^
Posted By: Neches

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 08:08 PM

At Cassel Boykin ramp at Rayburn I have seen 2wd trucks smoking tires with guys standing on the bumper just from the asphalt being wet
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 08:18 PM

there had been a few situations when I chose not to have a 4WD truck or SUV where a slippery ramp via ice or green slime has made recovery difficult. So I bought another 4WD. Easy fix.

and believe me when I say a Ford Ranger can pull nearly anything even with the small motor.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
there had been a few situations when I chose not to have a 4WD truck or SUV where a slippery ramp via ice or green slime has made recovery difficult. So I bought another 4WD. Easy fix.

and believe me when I say a Ford Ranger can pull nearly anything even with the small motor.

It's not the motor, it's the transmission. I had a 1996 4.0 liter Ford Ranger. It was fine pulling my 17 foot aluminum Bass Tracker. When I moved up to a BassCat Pantera II it was not long before I had transmission issues. Ford told me (they put nothing in writing) the boat was too heavy for my Ranger (even though it was within the weight limit). I moved up to a Ford F150. Guess what, at 26K miles my transmission went out. It was under warranty. When I picked it up they suggested a F250. When the truck died (T-boned in an accident), I bought a Tundra and have never had another problem That was in 2010).
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 09:52 PM

I own a 4X4 for one reason... launching my boat. Slime on the ramp, steep ramps, ice on the ramps in the winter, vegetation on the ramps "duck weed, and others" and I like to launch at a couple ramps that get mud on them after big rains. When I want to launch on a dirt ramp I can. As long as I can afford one and I can keep one, I'll drive a 4X4 for pulling the boat.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher

It's not the motor, it's the transmission. I had a 1996 4.0 liter Ford Ranger. It was fine pulling my 17 foot aluminum Bass Tracker. When I moved up to a BassCat Pantera II it was not long before I had transmission issues. Ford told me (they put nothing in writing) the boat was too heavy for my Ranger (even though it was within the weight limit). I moved up to a Ford F150. Guess what, at 26K miles my transmission went out. It was under warranty. When I picked it up they suggested a F250. When the truck died (T-boned in an accident), I bought a Tundra and have never had another problem That was in 2010).

Well. I have 82,000 miles on my Tundra and Skeeter trailer. The Tundra has been flawless, the EZLoader, not so much. It’s only used for Towing and the occasional hardware store trip. So about 99% towing. It gets 10.5 mpg, but it pulls a boat like it isn’t there.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 10:05 PM

I got a 2013 F150 two-wheel drive in 2013, fuel mileage and saving a little money were the driving factors as it would be used 90% of the time on highways. I've had to engage the electronic locking rear differential about once or twice per year since I got it, only about once a year on boat ramps. Never have gotten 'need to get pulled out' stuck with it and it's very comfortable on the road.

That said, if money isn't limiting, the 4x4 is what you want. The beefier suspension hauls a load better and you'll always have the option there if you need it.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kd
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 07/31/20 11:42 PM

Its hard to beat them Toyota's they just seem to hold up better than most other auto makers.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 08/01/20 04:02 AM

Most, not all the people I see who have problems on the ramp with 2 wheel drive is because they don't know what they are doing and think they are at a drag race and the light turned green. Slow and steady wins the race with 2 wheel drive. I'd like to have 4x4 but I just can't justify paying for something that I won't use. If money isn't an issue go for it.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 08/01/20 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Durham

BD

+1

It’s those few times you need it that it’s worth every nickel. It just takes that “well s###” moment off the table.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 08/01/20 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by BASSCATONE
If you think you don't need 4WD then you have not been to the "right' boat ramp yet. If you can afford it buy 4WD.

thumb
Posted By: ToledoBend58

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 08/01/20 07:55 AM

A trick was recommend to me about pulling a boat out on a slick ramp with 2WD is when the tire starts to spin push down about 2 clicks on your emergency brake. The emergency brake will hold the spinning tire in place giving you traction. It has worked for me on a couple of occasions. In saying that my next truck will have 4WD.
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 09:19 PM

I use a front wheel drive Ford Transit Connect mini van and have never gotten stuck on a ramp. As a matter of fact I have pulled other folks up slick ramps (boats, trucks, & trailers). The best part about the van is that the motor is directly over the front drive wheels so it gets great traction even though it's lighter than a 2wd mid size pickup. Now days I use a kayak so I don't even need a ramp. My kayak even has it's own built in rear wheel, is 14' 8" long, and it only weighs 100lbs fully loaded. so I don't have to even get close to the water. I just grab the front handle and walk it like a wheelbarrow right in to the water. Although at my age and with my back problems the closer I get to the water to start with the better I like it LOL!!!!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 10:58 PM

It's all about who's driving

Never owned a 4x4 in our family, and I haul a boat heavier than all your bass boats and back down the same ramps y'all do! Even worse in low tide saltwater. Never a problem.... I would get 4x4 just to have it, but you don't NEED it for launching/retrieving a boat.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

I go to Welsh all the time and have never had an issue with a 2WD with a limited slip differential and a 20ft boat, but I have a Dodge also. No issues anywhere with 2WD launching the boat.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Diaudioman
Its hard to beat them Toyota's they just seem to hold up better than most other auto makers.

But the gas mileage is terrible compared to most other auto makers.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin

I go to Welsh all the time and have never had an issue with a 2WD with a limited slip differential and a 20ft boat, but I have a Dodge also. No issues anywhere with 2WD launching the boat.

Ok, you are the only person that has never had a issue with that ramp, LOL
Posted By: 361V

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Diaudioman

But the gas mileage is terrible compared to most other auto makers.

Both true^^^^^^! Toyota’s are some pulling/dependable gas sucking pickups! 😀To the OP: have you needed 4x4 in the past? If not the answer is probably “NO”, you will be fine without it. Respectfully, base it on YOUR past needs.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/01/20 11:29 PM

Just stating a fact. If you don't want to believe it that is up to you, I don't care. Have you been out there since they fixed the ramp and the ruts in the hill going down to the ramp. Even the parking lot has been improved lately. BTW I know several people that go out to Welsh all them time because they are retired and go during the week and all of them have two wheel drive trucks. None of them have ever gotten stuck. Many of the trucks in the parking lot that I see out there are two wheel drive. Some are four wheel drive but you will see that at any ramp, both two wheel drive and four wheel drive.
Posted By: Pitdad

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 12:37 AM

I had an experience at Eagle Mountain Lake where the ramp was steep and slippery with algae. I couldn't get my Z519 out of the water. I will say I had road radials and AT tires may have made a difference. I hit the 4x4 button and went right up the ramp. That experience ensured every truck since has been a 4x4. If you can afford it, I would recommend it.

Good such with your truck hunt.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Milam

I've been pulling boats for 28 years, sometimes fishing 100 days per year, and never owned a 4WD.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Razorback
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam

I've been pulling boats for 28 years, sometimes fishing 100 days per year, and never owned a 4WD.

Cool. I used mine tonight to pull a dodge and a basscat up a ramp after the trailer was backed off the edge of the ramp. First time I have had to use 4wheel drive at a lake, but it definitely helped get his truck and boat out.
Posted By: Diaudioman

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 02:57 AM

The yotas do drink a little gas. But i get about 20mpg on the highway so I'm not complaining. And the resale is awesome. I think they are worth it. And that's all that matters to me.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 03:25 AM

Just stating a fact. If you don't want to believe it that is up to you, I don't care. Have you been out there since they fixed the ramp and the ruts in the hill going down to the ramp. Even the parking lot has been improved lately. BTW I know several people that go out to Welsh all them time because they are retired and go during the week and all of them have two wheel drive trucks. None of them have ever gotten stuck. Many of the trucks in the parking lot that I see out there are two wheel drive. Some are four wheel drive but you will see that at any ramp, both two wheel drive and four wheel drive.

I was out there a month ago, they have done a lot. very impressive!

I never had any issues at that ramp, but have seen others that have, because they hold the whole damn line up when they can't get up the hill, LOL
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 03:47 AM

If you fish different lakes around the state that you don't know, there will come a time when you wished you had it.
If you only fish your home lake or lakes you know you'll never have a problem, then no you don't need 4 wheel drive.

It's like that saying, "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!"
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 04:02 AM

Limited slip or electronic locking axle is all needed on concrete boat ramp. Heck most don’t even have that and do fine
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 01:02 PM

I've never had a truck that wan't 4x4 since 1972. But I don't remember putting one in 4 WD at a boat ramp.

FUNNY STORY I was waiting for my turn at a steep ramp when an older Van was loading a larger cruiser. They got it on the trailer and when he started trying to pull up the ramp that van did not have enough guts to get the wheels rolling. He thought the tires were slipping so he ordered the 2 guys still in the boat to get out and stand on the trailer tongue to add weight. That didn't work and the clueless buddies didn't see what was happening. Two more guys standing around waiting saw the other 2 so they joined in. So 4 guys adding weight to the tongue to try to get traction. Another guy saw the cluster and told them them error of their ways and they all got off the tongue and started pushing on the back of the van. It finally got rolling and crawled up the ramp. I thought the tranny in that van was going to explode.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 02:16 PM

I have been on a couple boat ramps where 4x4 would be nice, but I have not been on one that t was necessary. Heck I got stuck in wet grass one time with my boat, I have owned a few 4x4s but I rarely use it.
Posted By: Jons3825

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

Same here. I've launched at diablo east, squaw creek and plenty of other slick ramps. Just got to know how to drive. Now if your launching off the bank at Falcon, yes you need 4wd.

Same... with a ZX225. There was one time on Texoma in some super sketchy back water that we thought we would need it. But as soon as the boat bumped I took off using the momentum to help and then picking the best path up the steepish hill. I am not sure who was puckered more, Buda or myself.
Posted By: Champion1

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 04:28 PM

Been fishing 30 years and never once needed a 4x4.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 04:33 PM

Have only ever had to use 4x4 pulling out of a grass parking spot that looked a lot drier than it was. Even that could have been avoided my tires weren't nearly bald.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

BD

+1

It’s those few times you need it that it’s worth every nickel. It just takes that “well s###” moment off the table.

...and inevitably those moments will happen when there is nobody near to help or pull you out. Resale value is greater with 4X4 too. Somebody mentioned fuel economy. Mine is the same as comparably equipped 2WD. If I shift into 4LOW then it will suffer but I am never in 4LOW long and never over about 15-20 mph anyway.
Posted By: RO519

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 05:03 PM

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
Posted By: Stew

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 05:53 PM

Get a good drought and some ramps that weren't built for a drought and you will be glad you have a 4X4, Iyou may even need it...plus, chicks dig a 4X4.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 06:18 PM

[Linked Image]
Here’s another “fisherman” that didn’t think 4WDrive was needed to get to a fishing hole. He didn’t think my little Ol Jeep would pull his 3500 out of the mud. So I slowly drove around him and then he decided I could help. Lol. “Real men” don’t need to own a 4x4....just just rely on others to own one. roflmao
Posted By: Griff7212

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/02/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by RO519
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

Agree.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/03/20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
[Linked Image]
Here’s another “fisherman” that didn’t think 4WDrive was needed to get to a fishing hole. He didn’t think my little Ol Jeep would pull his 3500 out of the mud. So I slowly drove around him and then he decided I could help. Lol. “Real men” don’t need to own a 4x4....just just rely on others to own one. roflmao

That is a complete moron to try and take a 2wd 3500 diesel through that.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/03/20 12:46 PM

I haul my 190 Skeeter with a Toyota 4Runner. Yesterday was a little concerning as the ramp on Lake Austin was wet from a brief rain shower. I put the tranny in 1st gear, lightly put the parking brake on, and S-L-O-W-L-Y nursed the gas pedal. She got out with a little finagling on my part, but I did smell a little rubber at the top of the ramp. 4WD would have been nice, and I wished I had it at the time, but I did make it out by not high powering. I remembered a thread on TFF about just that situation and how "easy does it on the accelerator" was the answer, and I behaved accordingly.

I got applause and a thumbs up from the landscape guy working on the property next to the park... that was nice.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/03/20 12:53 PM

I've made the mistake of owning a boat and not having 4WD vehicle...never again. I damned near lost them both when the ramp became slicker as the day went on. I backed down and unloaded no problem. What the issue was the other boat traffic was washing up on the ramp stimulating the algae to become like ice. Started to slide as soon as I got close to the ramp to start loading, then when loaded, no matter how much I played with the throttle / brake she just wanted to be in the drink. Finally I hammered down and finally got traction after burning a path into the concrete.
Posted By: Hookem

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/03/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by herbsteiner
I haul my 190 Skeeter with a Toyota 4Runner. Yesterday was a little concerning as the ramp on Lake Austin was wet from a brief rain shower. I put the tranny in 1st gear, lightly put the parking brake on, and S-L-O-W-L-Y nursed the gas pedal. She got out with a little finagling on my part, but I did smell a little rubber at the top of the ramp. 4WD would have been nice, and I wished I had it at the time, but I did make it out by not high powering. I remembered a thread on TFF about just that situation and how "easy does it on the accelerator" was the answer, and I behaved accordingly.

I got applause and a thumbs up from the landscape guy working on the property next to the park... that was nice.

Quinlan, 360 or Walsh?

Quinlan can be a bitch.

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/03/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by JacksonBean

BD

+1

...and inevitably those moments will happen when there is nobody near to help or pull you out. Resale value is greater with 4X4 too. Somebody mentioned fuel economy. Mine is the same as comparably equipped 2WD. If I shift into 4LOW then it will suffer but I am never in 4LOW long and never over about 15-20 mph anyway.

What 4X4 do you have that gets as good of gas mileage as a 2WD? What gas mileage are you getting pulling the boat and not pulling the boat?
That would be the truck to have a 4WD that gets the same mileage as a 2WD.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/04/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Piscivore
I've seen a 2wd truck unable to get up a wet ramp. He was just spinning a tire until a several of us bystanders hopped on his bumper and he got enough bite to get up the ramp. He was pulling a pretty big boat though.

This, I have had two times that I had to get folks to get on the back of a 2 wheel drive pickup to help me get up a steep wet ramp. Same ramp, same conditions with a 4 X 4 and no problems. If you go with a 2 wheel drive, at least get an AIR LOCKER put on it so both wheel will pull.
Air Locker

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/04/20 01:27 PM

If you have a 2WD with an open differential as they call it you can have issues. With that only one wheel gets traction. With a limited slip it will transfer the power to the other wheel when the main one loses traction. You can also do a locker rear end to a 2WD. I like 4WD trucks but just never bought one.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/04/20 09:24 PM

I can go to AWD with a button push, or full 4WD with a stick. Never used either.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/04/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem
Originally Posted by herbsteiner

Quinlan, 360 or Walsh?

Quinlan can be a bitch.

'Twas Quinlan, for sure.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 12:05 AM

Tough to even find a 2WD truck now days, especially an H/D. My King Ranch has it, but I've never used it.....ever.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 02:20 AM

Diablo East boat ramp is a bear with 2WD at a big tournament once that ramp gets good and wet.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jobie99
Diablo East boat ramp is a bear with 2WD at a big tournament once that ramp gets good and wet.

Walking from the ramp to the parking lot ain't no joke either.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 06:09 PM

SLIPPERY RAMPS IN WINTER FROM OTHER LAUNCHING OR RECOVERING AHEAD OF YOU AND GREEN SLIME IN THE SUMMER. 4WD FOR ME ALL THE WAY THANKS. WHEEL SPINNING IS NOT MY FAVORITE SPORT.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 06:50 PM

Plus you never know when you go to a boat ramp and the parking lot is full and you have to pull off of paving and park off road. Seen that a few times this year when everyone was supposed to be working from home!
Posted By: Cmack

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 09:26 PM

Having launched off the bank many times down in Mexico and a few here in Texas, I find 4WD to be extremely helpful. Had an F150 with the electric locker that would handle any slick cement ramp and pretty good on dirt ramps. My present GMC is 4WD with a locker.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 09/30/20 09:35 PM

SLIPPERY RAMPS IN WINTER FROM OTHER LAUNCHING OR RECOVERING AHEAD OF YOU AND GREEN SLIME IN THE SUMMER. 4WD FOR ME ALL THE WAY THANKS. WHEEL SPINNING IS NOT MY FAVORITE SPORT.

I like smokin all 4 pullin out the empty trailer. sure wish they hadn't stolen my bull nads though. roflmao
Posted By: JoshT254

Re: 4x4 at the boat ramp?? - 10/03/20 06:37 AM

I've launched a lot of places with a 2 but it's much nicer to have the 4x4 if needed. That being said I'll never not have a 4x4. Once those 2 start spinning your screwed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum