Texas Fishing Forum

ALX Zolo Review

Posted By: rkd

ALX Zolo Review - 07/27/20 05:16 PM

I've switched over to Dobyns but recently got an ALX Zolo Dragger as a gift. I've read several positive reviews of the ALX brand and finally decided to fish the Dragger most of this weekend. I have to say, it's a GREAT rod. Used it for carolina rigging although I imagine it would make a decent texas rig and light jig rod as well. It's almost as light as my old Shimano Cumaras and slightly lighter than several of my Dobyns Champions. Casts a 1/2 ounce weight and 4ft leader with ease. What I am most impressed with is the overall sensitivity. Yes, I was using flouro and a tungsten weight (so that helped) but the rod blank is one of the most sensitive rods I've ever used. I don't own any rods over the $250 price point so that's my comparison threshold. I did NOT catch anything over 2lbs so I can't speak to it's ability to play/land bigger fish but my initial impressions are very positive AND they're made in the US.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/27/20 08:45 PM

i just got a alx deputy, cant wait to try it. like you i have read a ton of good reviews. it seems like the only thing people dont agree on is the sensitivity
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/27/20 10:15 PM

ALX are great rods...have 3 of them. 1 dragger and 2 deputies. They put in work for sure.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/28/20 01:26 PM

I have a Dragger with a couple of custom changes on order for a big shakeyhead/jig rod. I like owner's selection of blanks. Struggled to find a rod I like for this application, so hope this ALX fits the bill
Posted By: forkduc

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/28/20 01:47 PM

I have 2 Ikos and love then. Top water and spinnerbait
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/28/20 08:42 PM

I replaced all my rods with ALX. I have the Ikos, Zolo, and Enox. I also read conflicting reviews on the sensitivity, but for rods in their respected price range, they're as sensitive or more. For example, my Zolo rods are more sensitive than my Dobyns Champions, and a little less in price. Same goes when comparing the Enox with the Dobyns Extreme. But that's just IMO.
Posted By: rkd

Re: ALX Zolo Review - 07/29/20 01:36 PM

I was afraid to say it (because I just invested heavily in Dobyns) but yes, the sensitivity in the Zolo is better than my Dobyns Champions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum