Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon

Posted By: spacejunkie

Choke Canyon - 07/22/20 07:07 PM

could be getting some fresh water. Would like to see it come up a couple of feet.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/22/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
could be getting some fresh water. Would like to see it come up a couple of feet.
From where?
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/22/20 07:57 PM

Looking at the track for the disturbance out in the gulf headed our way for the weekend. Can't upload the image for some reason.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/22/20 10:22 PM

Wrong direction, if the current track is correct.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/22/20 11:57 PM

Still too early to tell. 1 model shows 1” in the area another shows up to 10”....

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 02:14 AM

Being Choke, it’ll end up being 0.01” of an inch. I’d love to see about a 15’ rise, not gonna happen though.

Edit: the forecast I saw this evening looks a lot more promising, than the one I saw at lunch time, hopefully it’s right.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 11:56 AM

I hope the guy manning the gates doesn't get spooked and start letting water out anticipating the deluge that may not come. rolleyes

If Choke can catch some significant runoff it will practically be a brand new lake with all the regrowth of vegetation over the last several years!
Posted By: F4 Gator

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 04:25 PM

Current forecast, as of 11:15AM. from the National Weather Service Hurricane Center has Choke potentially getting 4-6" of rain. The Frio River Basis is forecast to get 2-4" of rain. Every little bit will help!
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 09:14 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Len B 1

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 09:26 PM

Hope Falcon gets some.

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 10:54 PM

Sweet, love that new track! Falcon, Choke, Coleto and potentially Amistad (if it moves north) could all benefit.
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/23/20 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
Being Choke, it’ll end up being 0.01” of an inch. I’d love to see about a 15’ rise,

Eh, that would probably kill all of the grass.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 5-20
Being Choke, it’ll end up being 0.01” of an inch. I’d love to see about a 15’ rise,

And all the fish would be living in the woods

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by 5-20

And all the fish would be living in the woods

I think I’d pick the woods over the grass.

What’s everyone’s guess on how much it comes up? I’ll go with 3’ if it stays low like they are showing now.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 01:17 PM

Man, I hope they are wrong but I’m just not seeing significant predictions of rain in the watershed. Three feet would be nice but ten would be better!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 01:54 PM

A big rise would be better for the lake than it staying low with grass. I think falcon is going to benefit the most from this. The watershed in Mexico could be the biggest player
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 02:48 PM

new track is not looking good
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 03:11 PM

Rain over the lake won’t do much. I’m guessing it only rises a few inches. Hope I’m wrong.

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 03:14 PM

Dang, I just looked at the newest track, I might have to agree with the “few inches” now. Just keeps dropping lower and lower. frown
Posted By: Coastal Bend Bassin

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/24/20 08:39 PM

Looks like the Hill Country (watershed for Frio River) is not going to be getting much rain from this. We might see 1 to 2 foot rise but then it would be quickly released because they will be sending it to Lake Corpus Christi. I have always had the thought that the City of Corpus Christi, controlling body for Choke and Lake Corpus Christi, takes precedence with Lake Corpus Christi over Choke Canyon. If they just let if fill up it would be back to how it was during the 90's. It is a dream!
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 03:26 AM

Choke should be on the wet side if it goes in as projected. I lived in Corpus when it filled up. I doubt this will raise it much but will help.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 03:46 AM

This storm has a weird path that sends it south west after landfall.
Most all storms that came ashore in that area would curve north west and follow the Rio Grande.
The lake that may catch a few feet of water might be Lake Corpus Christi, as the storm looks like it may follow the Nueces watershed more than the Frio.
This is looking like a miss!
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 12:18 PM

When was the last time Choke kicked out any DD bass?

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones

A 14 last year, only double digit that I’ve read about being weighed in.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cuervo Jones

A 14 last year, only double digit that I’ve read about being weighed in.

A couple atleast this year from guides that I follow on Facebook. It's got some nice fish in it still. Definitely big numbers
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 02:44 PM

That’s good to hear. I’m not on fakebook, so I don’t get a lot of that kind of information. Thanks!

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/25/20 08:43 PM

0.000000000 of rainfall in Three Rivers so far.
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Choke Canyon - 07/26/20 11:22 AM

bang
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum