Texas Fishing Forum

Optima blue top batteries

Posted By: Gilbert M.

Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 04:58 PM

Looking for the good and bad on optima blue top 31m. I’ve done a search on forum and nothing pops up.

Thanks
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 05:09 PM

some love em, some hate them.....I hate them
never lasted as long as advertised in my boat, used them at work in fleet vehicles nationwide and changed after a couple years due to road calls.
Posted By: blacklab

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 05:19 PM

my set lasted 9 years.

I changed to the X power from batteries plus.

Been happy so far
Posted By: 9094

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 06:23 PM

My last set was on 7 years when I sold the boat. And still had full power .
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 07:08 PM

Have a couple of friends that "swear by them" I however am hesitant of the 155 RC.
Posted By: rb7764

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 08:24 PM

I have been using Northstar/X2 batteries from Batteries Plus. Current set is going on 8 years old now.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 08:58 PM

They aren't as big and heavy as the Duracell AGM 31's but they don't have the capacity and rating that the Duracell do either.

I haven't had any problems with mine but if you need the extra capacity then they might not be the best choice for you. cheers
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 09:15 PM

I run 4 D31M's, no problem at all, been running Optimas since early 90's, had one or two go bad but warranty covered most of it.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/19/20 11:37 PM

Worst batteries ever made. Don’t waste your money. They don’t last long at all.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/20/20 02:33 AM

Don't waste your money on Optima batteries. The new ones are complete junk. These ones that people are saying have lasted 7-10 years were the ones that were still made in the USA. They've moved production to Mexico and now are no better than an Everstart Walmart battery.

I work with batteries everyday, trust me... They are not what they used to be and not worth the price.... I see the red tops and blue tops come in less than 2 years old regularly that are bad.

No one on here is going to want to hear this because on here you have to spend the most money possible on equipment to catch fish...... BUT. Believe it or not, the longest lasting batteries I see are the following:

1- Interstate
2- Everstart

Yes, Everstart.. You wouldn't believe the amount of Everstart batteries that come in to be replaced that are 5-6 years old. My friend has an Everstart Maxx battery on his Duramax that is from 2012 and is still going, no bs. My last set of batteries (4) on the boat were all Everstart Marine and gave out at 4 years old for $60 a piece (if I remember correctly.)

The reason I put Interstate on the list is because the oldest battery I've ever seen come in this year was an Interstate from 2009, and it just quit the day it was brought in.

Again, on here, if you don't buy batteries that are $200 a piece then you're an idiot and can't catch fish. I'm just stating what I've seen, being someone who deals with batteries daily... Everstart and Interstate is the way to go.

I don't think they make marine batteries, but the only battery that is close to $300 that is worth a dang today is Odyssey batteries.

Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/20/20 10:28 AM

Lighter. Less amp hours than the Deka made ones. If I remember correctly the Optima are in the 85 amp hour range and the Deka ones are 105.
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/20/20 03:54 PM

I've been using 4 D31 Blue Tops for 5.5 years. I replaced 1 of them 2 years ago, but I doubt the battery was even bad. It turned out that I had a bad bank on my charger.

I've fished for 2 days without a charge and have had 0 drop off on my trolling motor power.

Couldn't say the same for the lead cells I had on my boat before I went with blue tops.
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/20/20 04:04 PM

Had low voltage alarms and bought a blue top. Granted this was about 4 years ago but it didn't solve anything for me. Total waste of money. Bought an X2 from Batteries Plus and it solved the problem.

IMO, Optima blue tops are all hype. It couldn't handle (3) 12's, 2 poles and live wells for more than about 4 hours.

I know people post that they love them but I find it hard to believe based on my personal experience.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Optima blue top batteries - 07/20/20 05:11 PM

Eh. I have them and have been using them for years. Slowly replacing them with cheap 31’s from Oriellys. The cheap 31’s last much longer and are $79 ea. The quality of Optima hasn’t slowly died off...its suddenly turned to total [censored]. I did not want to renew my contract with them this year, so as the ones I have left slowly loose their ability to twist a trolling motor prop, I’ll replace them as inexpensively as possible. Next year I plan on going with Relion lithium batteries.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum