Texas Fishing Forum

John Paul Landing (Houston) - Bass?

Posted By: M. Putnam

John Paul Landing (Houston) - Bass? - 07/19/20 11:12 AM

I received a tip that this Harris County park was good for catching bass. It's a good sized pond--about 200 acres, which they plan to expand to 465. The maximum depth is 32 feet, though the water is low right now. The park is relatively new. I think they opened it in 2017. Over the last several years they report stocking the pond with around 100,000 fingerling size bass.

I spent nearly five hours out there yesterday, from about 8:00 am to after 1:00 pm. I tried every kind of lure... Texas rigged worms and craws, crankbaits, chatterbaits, spinner baits, wacky rigs, ned rigs... Didn't get a single bit or even a nibble. A few people I met said they had caught catfish.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has ever caught bass there, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: John Paul Landing (Houston) - Bass? - 07/19/20 12:43 PM

Talk about a big lake for a park! Looks like a possibility in 2-4 more years. Can you put a kayak in? Little far for me but might send the boys over to scout it.
Posted By: Cuervo Jones

Re: John Paul Landing (Houston) - Bass? - 07/19/20 12:58 PM

This time of year, I’d try early in the morning or late in the evening or night. Midday bassin’ isn’t going to be so great unless you’re chasing them offshore on structure. Might be worth it getting out predawn and throwing some big surface baits.
Posted By: Lathree

Re: John Paul Landing (Houston) - Bass? - 04/19/21 11:40 AM

I've fished this lake many times since 2018 and never seen a bass. We've caught a lot of small cats from the north pier and bank but rarely see any big ones. The water is murky because of ongoing construction and no boats allowed.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum