Texas Fishing Forum

Rainy Lake Mn.

Posted By: forkduc

Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/18/20 04:49 PM

Anyone ever been.
Heard it is an awesome smallmouth and walleye fishery.
Posted By: Jake F.

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/21/20 07:52 PM

My fiancee's dad is a walleye guide in MN and he loves rainy lake. He said its a great lake to catch a lot of high quality fish. I'd say go give it a shot!

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/21/20 08:39 PM

He guide Rainy?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/21/20 10:01 PM

I used to go to Nestor Falls in Ontario every year, which is only about 2 hours away. It's gorgeous up there.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 12:39 AM

Do the math on this - 13,000 lakes in Minnesota, if you start fishing one lake each different day from ice out till freeze over you will not be able to fish all of those lakes in your life time.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 12:56 AM

I go every year but on the Canada side of rainy. Sadly due to the virus no trip this year. Anyway, smallmouth fishing there is unreal especially in spring where no kidding we averaged 60 to 70 a day and one day over 100. In spring you only need jerks, grubs and squarebills. There is no skill as they are on points in big wolf packs. Love that trip
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 01:52 AM

Went once to Canada to Lake of the Woods in the Fall and it was phenomenal, and those shore lunches with those Walleye were so good.
Posted By: Jake F.

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 03:24 AM

He guides Gull Lake and Mille Lacs. He can go for smallies, largies, and walleyes. He’s a really good guy to reach out to. He doesn’t guide rainy though. I can get you his contact info if you’d like
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 12:08 PM

One of my most enjoyable fishing experiences I've ever had....I've been three times. We have always fished NW Ontario side of Rainy Lake as well. Smallies are plentiful, and walleye and Northern Pike. Not so much Muskies. The first week of June is opportune time to go. We've caught 'em pre-spawn to full blown spawn. Biggest was 5lbs, but avg size is 3.5-4.0lbs. That's nice for smallies. We would haul our boats up there (20hrs from DFW) and then boat prolly 8 miles to the outfitter. It's all remote. You gotta bring your own gas in and everything for that matter. There's nice cabins and kitchen stuff and beds for ya, but everything else is hauled in. Better have a Hotmaps North Chip, too. It's a very dangerous lake with all the rock everywhere. You can be cruising in 30ft of water and look on both sides and see huge rocks just under the surface. This goes for all over the lake on Ontario side. Not sure about states side. I hope you're able to make the trip. It's a bucket list trip IMHO....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 12:25 PM

A few more.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 12:57 PM

forkduc...if you decide to go, I still have a Navionics Hotmaps Classic North mapchip that you can borrow. It saved our butt and our boat!

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 04:51 PM

Looking at June 2021, although I hear top water in July-August is pretty awesome.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 05:40 PM

He is right about it being a dangerous lake. Sure glad we run a map chip too
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/22/20 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
Do the math on this - 13,000 lakes in Minnesota, if you start fishing one lake each different day from ice out till freeze over you will not be able to fish all of those lakes in your life time.

I sure would like to try!
Posted By: cjbles

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/23/20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
A few more.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love that American flag boat!

Re: Rainy Lake Mn. - 07/24/20 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjbles
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
A few more.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Love that American flag boat!

That was an awesome looking boat. Never could figure what kinda boat it was (handcrafted to the max) but that Mariner 200 would push that sucker faster than any of ours. I was running a brand new ZX225 and it blew by me every day. It was only 18footer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum