Texas Fishing Forum

Brainstorming Electronics

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Brainstorming Electronics - 07/16/20 11:44 PM

I am looking for real world experiences between Lowrance and Humminbird, specifically the latest models, live and gn 3. I have a lowrance live 12 and an elite ti 12 and seriously considering switching to birds either Solix or Helix + a dedicated live scope unit up front. Let’s hear and even see why either is better! Please no old [censored] units considered. I know CS is scetchy with Lowrance but I’m mostly interested in picture quality. I’m pretty sure I know what I’m gonna do but let’s see what y’all have!

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/16/20 11:50 PM

For some context, I’m disappointed in the way brush piles show up on SI on my live, nothing but a shadow, plus everything seems really small in scale. Birds seem to have much better SI.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
I am looking for real world experiences between Lowrance and Humminbird, specifically the latest models, live and gn 3. I have a lowrance live 12 and an elite ti 12 and seriously considering switching to birds either Solix or Helix + a dedicated live scope unit up front. Let’s hear and even see why either is better! Please no old [censored] units considered. I know CS is scetchy with Lowrance but I’m mostly interested in picture quality. I’m pretty sure I know what I’m gonna do but let’s see what y’all have!

What subjects would you like to see a Humminbird represent?

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 12:22 AM

Well Wayne, you are the Bird guru.,,,I appreciate your post on here and BBC. Let’s see some BP on SI...

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 12:49 AM

Well Wayne, you are the Bird guru.,,,I appreciate your post on here and BBC. Let’s see some BP on SI...

These were done with a bow unit and SI transducer on the trolling motor. The lake is electric-only so that is all I use there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 12:55 AM

And that’s why I’m leaning Bird...no way a Lowrance user can beat those right? More importantly, are those images standard or are there a bunch of tweaking necessary for them?

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 12:59 AM

Also Wayne, what unit is that?

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 01:07 AM

And that’s why I’m leaning Bird...no way a Lowrance user can beat those right? More importantly, are those images standard or are there a bunch of tweaking necessary for them?

The only thing I adjust is the SI Range and change the Sensitivity so the bottom is dark enough to see fish against it.

That is the Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N.

This one has a school of 3#-5# bass using the MEGA 360 for Side Imaging. I had the Sensitivity a little too high, but at the time catching had the priority as I had moved shallower from where I was. I see statements about you can't see fish on Side Imaging/SideVu/SideVision/Side Scan------BUT

[Linked Image]

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 01:29 AM

If you fish for crappie, a combo Humminbird MEGA 360 with the Garmin Livescope would work very well.
I don't fish for crappie but I see lots of them:

[Linked Image]

Wasn't any crappie here at this time but takes very little time to check it out. The black streaks at the bottom right is caused by the trolling motor prop being recorded----

[Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 02:27 AM

Buy 1 of each already and let me see how they work! cheer

I’ve been pondering this too, M360 looks great; but so many guys praise livescope (pre-perspective update).
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 06:02 AM

Lowrance is sorely bringing up the rear on real-time sonar view. I saw this not as bashing as I own Lowrance gear. It's just a fact right now. Hopefully they will double-time the effort to catch up.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 11:57 AM

Wow! I really need to upgrade my electronics roflmao
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Brainstorming Electronics - 07/17/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Basscat8263
Wow! I really need to upgrade my electronics roflmao

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum