Texas Fishing Forum

Deep cranking rod favorites?

Posted By: Chad Jones

Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/16/20 03:52 PM

I want to get a new rod or two for throwing the 6xd and maybe even get a setup for the 8 and 10xd. What’s everyone’s favorite deep crank rods for getting the bait out there a long way and has good sensitivity?
Posted By: Bradley McCaw

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/16/20 05:00 PM

I have been throwing a 13 fishing fate black 3 and it handles everything from 6-10s and affordable only around 100$ sensitivity isn't incredible but still feel enough to get the job done
Posted By: bassinassassin

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/16/20 05:01 PM

I throw a 7'6 MH, it is a composite rod with a lot of flex so I can really launch the crankbait. It is a KVD series I bought a few years back, has decent sensitivity but I guess that is a sacrifice you make with the composite rod.
Posted By: capt grumpy

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/16/20 05:37 PM

If you can find them 7 6" Waterloo Deep cranker best deep cranking rod I have used.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/16/20 10:59 PM

I use a Dobyns 805 RM Champion XP for up to the 6XD and a 806 for the magnum sized ones.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by ko bass attack 27
I use a Dobyns 805 RM Champion XP for up to the 6XD and a 806 for the magnum sized ones.

You are gonna get a lot of this as a recommendation, it’s what swayed me to get one. I wouldn’t buy another one, the handle is too short.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 12:56 AM

Why is sensetivity important?

I look for the opposite of that in a cranking rod.
Posted By: Chad Jones

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 03:11 AM

Need to feel when it is making contact with something.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

You are gonna get a lot of this as a recommendation, it’s what swayed me to get one. I wouldn’t buy another one, the handle is too short.

I have both of these and do agree that the handle could be an inch or two longer. Fortunately, neither have had a negative affect on me.

If you're being budget minded, look into the Abu Garcia Veritas Winch series. They're $100-$120 and have the specs to handle 6XD's on the Heavy and up to 10XD's on the Extra Heavy Tackle Warehouse Veritas Winch Link
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

I've thought the handle length was fine. I just personally don't love 8' rod. It's a great rod, I feel it's a TAD stiff for a 6XD but I like a little more give in my cranking rods.

I bought a 764 CB RM off of a buddy in my club and I LOVE it for 5XD and it's really nice with a 6XD. A tad whippy with the 6XD but I am fine with it. Launches those plugs into the next town and the action is awesome.
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/17/20 03:59 PM

Custom set up that I build
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/19/20 09:31 PM

Fxtreme custom rods.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/20/20 01:31 PM

Power tackles new cranking rod it’s a 7’10 and it’s in the one series great all around deep crank rod they also have the 550 in the power point series they have a few different lengths in that series as well
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/20/20 02:05 PM

I was 100% Dobyns 805 until I tried the ALX Rods Zolo Grind. It's the best 5xd&6xd rod I've ever used. Large handle, light weight, very sensitive, and a nice moderate action. I've thrown a cloud c20 crank on it (1.5oz) with no issues also.
Posted By: Kyle_N07

Re: Deep cranking rod favorites? - 07/20/20 03:21 PM

My go to for big cranks is a... G. Loomis 8' (968 CBR) and I pair it with a Revo Winch (5:4:1). It will cast a 8xd or 10xd no problem. With the low gear ratio on the Winch and large handle, it makes it as easy as it can be to throw those big crankbaits all day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum